** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Associate
Regular customer or not, they are 80% of the market. Nvidia is charging what they want (leeching as you say) only because AMD dropped their ball completely. I do not want to commit to AMD for one day, let alone 5+ years as you say. They can not sort out theirs drivers, crossfire profiles take ages to deliver, cards are heaters, mantle is a joke, etc... BTW, freesync is inferior to gsync anyway.
Back on topic, it should be great monitor for you guys with Amd card:)

Soldato
texxx74 said:
Regular customer or not, they are 80% of the market. Nvidia is charging what they want (leeching as you say) only because AMD dropped their ball completely. I do not want to commit to AMD for one day, let alone 5+ years as you say. They can not sort out theirs drivers, crossfire profiles take ages to deliver, cards are heaters, mantle is a joke, etc... BTW, freesync is inferior to gsync anyway.
Yeah, I know where you're coming from there. I've got the cash to go the Nvidia route, but I'm not sure if it's worth it or not with the premium involved.

I think for me the logicial thing to do would be wait till the 390X is released, see what it brings to the table, if need be I can always go the Nvidia route when the 980ti is released, I'll just have to fork out the premium in that case.

I'm in no major rush, but with these new screens coming out, it's hard to not resist temptation, I'll try hold off a few months I think, it's not like my current screen is crap whatsoever. :)

Whichever way I go, I'll be committed to either AMD or Nvidia, so it's a big decision.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd suggest you all get pre-ordering then if the price is shockingly good as you can bet there will be no stock or when we do get stock and have free stock the price will go up if Asus can't meet demand. I did order 250pc though so we shall see.

I'll be waiting to see what other retailers can do and also see how much these are when they hit B-Grade ;) Surely the swift should be about £350 when these hit the shelves?

Soldato
I'd be all over this like a rash, if they did a competitively priced 21:9 version.

... Once again, new tech confuses me further, not helping me to decide on a new purchase!

Man of Honour
Oh dear me, I think you have seduced me :( I wanted to wait until UHD 120hz IPS panels came along :(

If you can get TFTCentral to do a review it will make my mind up for me ;)

I'm working with Asus to sort a review sample asap. expect at least a couple of weeks, but should hopefully get one before, or very close to the release date :)

Note to those asking about freeSync vs G-sync, it really comes down to what graphics card you have. FreeSync is for AMD users, G-sync for NVIDIA. the G-sync module costs a fair amount which is why the cost of compatible monitors is higher, and part of the selling point of freesync for AMD in fact :)

don't forget that G-sync screens also feature an ULMB (blur reduction) mode which is a very useful extra, and FreeSync screens don't support that unless the monitor manufacturer adds it on as extra. benQ did with their own Blur Reduction mode for the XL2730Z, but Asus haven't done anything like that as far as i know with the MG279Q

Caporegime
Can't wait for the review badass! :)

Hopefully the price won't go much higher as I think ASUS are onto a winner here and could perhaps even make a few nvidia users jump over....

Any idea badass/PCM2 if we will see a 21.9 34" 1440 free or g sync before August?

Really don't want to go back to 16.9 as games and films are just sooooo much better and more immersive with 21.9 but at the same time I badly want a screen with good motion clarity & sync tech. :(

Why should the Swift price change?

- TN panel isn't anywhere as good as IPS
- this asus screen has more connectivity ports
- if this is the same panel as the acer then a better anti-glare finish too

Although of course the gsync module is adding a fair chunk to the gsync screens.

The BENQ freesync screen should be at least £80 cheaper though imo, if this asus screen is anywhere as good as the ACER gsync equivalent (which it should be) then I see zero reason to get the benq over the asus.

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe this will be my next screen.
Hope AMD delivers good R9 300 and Freesync driver support.
Also curious about the upscaling capabilities of freesync screens.

Soldato
Can't wait for the review badass! :)

Hopefully the price won't go much higher as I think ASUS are onto a winner here and could perhaps even make a few nvidia users jump over....

Any idea badass/PCM2 if we will see a 21.9 34" 1440 free or g sync before August?

Really don't want to go back to 16.9 as games and films are just sooooo much better and more immersive with 21.9 but at the same time I badly want a screen with good motion clarity & sync tech. :(

- TN panel isn't anywhere as good as IPS
- this asus screen has more connectivity ports
- if this is the same panel as the acer then a better anti-glare finish too

Although of course the gsync module is adding a fair chunk to the gsync screens.

The BENQ freesync screen should be at least £80 cheaper though imo, if this asus screen is anywhere as good as the ACER gsync equivalent (which it should be) then I see zero reason to get the benq over the asus.

Some people prefer IPS, others (me included) prefer TN, both have tradeoffs.
Some people have AMD cards and want a freesync screen, others (more) have nvidia cards and want Gsync. Again, tradeoffs.

In short, people who want to buy an IPS freesync monitor aren't going to want to buy a TN Gsync monitor and vice versa, so the pricing of one is extremely unlikely to affect the pricing of the other.

Man of Honour
Some people have AMD cards and want a freesync screen, others (more) have nvidia cards and want Gsync. Again, tradeoffs.

In short, people who want to buy an IPS freesync monitor aren't going to want to buy a TN Gsync monitor and vice versa, so the pricing of one is extremely unlikely to affect the pricing of the other.

very true. plus the ROG Swift PG278Q is part of Asus' Republic of Gamers brand which carries a premium (what AMG is to Mercedes). Premium design, branding, quality etc carries a price premium

Caporegime
Are there any tradeoffs with these IPS 144HZ screens though? As from what I could gather from badass's review of the acer IPS 144hz screen is that the response time and input lag is nearly as good as the asus rog swift (very little difference, which I doubt would be noticeable with normal usage) and that has only ever really been the main reason to go for TN over IPS.

Associate

There is one issue in this logic. The overall marketsize (including freesync and gsync also preference for IPS and TN) remains the same. Having more than one alternative will increase competition hence it can result in decreases in price.

Soldato
Are there any tradeoffs with these IPS 144HZ screens though? As from what I could gather from badass's review of the acer IPS 144hz screen is that the response time and input lag is nearly as good as the asus rog swift (very little difference, which I doubt would be noticeable with normal usage) and that has only ever really been the main reason to go for TN over IPS.

I play a lot of games with dark backgrounds and tend to have my room lighting low, having owned several IPS screens I would not buy another for dark gaming. Without seeing one in the flesh I cant comment on motion handling (each of my last three monitors i've done side by side comparisons before deciding which to keep), but yeah based on reviews there is still a difference even if they have managed to reduce it considerably.

Back
Top Bottom