** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Soldato
After a month I got a third monitor shipped today. Sadly it is again worse than the first one I received. The top is better but the bottom right is horrendous and extends to nearly the centre of the screen:

1st:
MG279Q 1 - Backlight Bleed 3.jpg

3rd:
MG279Q 3 - Backlight Bleed.jpg

Now I guess I have to decide whether to keep it or get a refund and go for a TN version without backlight bleed or IPS glow. :/

Associate
Now I guess I have to decide whether to keep it or get a refund and go for a TN version without backlight bleed or IPS glow. :/
TN version with a better freesync range...40-144hz?

Soldato
TN version with a better freesync range...40-144hz?
I don't think the FreeSync range is relevant since AMD implemented LFC - I can whack this one to 57-144 Hz and with LFC it should still work well below 57 Hz.

The sad thing is monitor prices have gone up so much that if I returned this and got a TN equivalent it might even cost me more. :(

Soldato
After a month I got a third monitor shipped today. Sadly it is again worse than the first one I received. The top is better but the bottom right is horrendous and extends to nearly the centre of the screen

This is my ~10 year old TN panel, taken in a totally dark room which I believe means the camera over exposes. So in use it's darker than that

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I remember when I got my mg279q. I was so underwhelmed. Backlight issues galore, ips glow and **** iq vs my dell 4K. It went right back. Annoying what quality control has become like. Seems not much has changed since then :(

Soldato
05e2d6f7d9064d37894c709fec421824.png

Hi guys, this is my mg279q and is very similar to what you see really, it would be better to replace it?
Looks better than any of the three I've had, although it's a different camera and environment so can't say for certain.

I remember when I got my mg279q. I was so underwhelmed. Backlight issues galore, ips glow and **** iq vs my dell 4K. It went right back. Annoying what quality control has become like. Seems not much has changed since then :(
Well a 27" 2160p IPS monitor will always impress more than a 27" 1440p IPS monitor, but I know what you mean. I honestly don't know whether to keep mine. On the one hand, I barely ever notice the backlight bleed - hell, I was using a monitor with even worse backlight bleed for a month and didn't notice. On the other hand, this kind of quality control problem for a (currently) £500 monitor is outrageous. I just don't know if I'd be willing to put up with a TN panel.

What actual options are there for a similar monitor without backlight bleed? Leaving aside the two that feature the same panel, the MG278Q supposedly has similar QC issues, the Zowie XL2730 (formerly BenQ XL2730Z) costs even more than I paid for the MG279Q. Are there any others?

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Looks better than any of the three I've had, although it's a different camera and environment so can't say for certain.

Well a 27" 2160p IPS monitor will always impress more than a 27" 1440p IPS monitor, but I know what you mean. I honestly don't know whether to keep mine. On the one hand, I barely ever notice the backlight bleed - hell, I was using a monitor with even worse backlight bleed for a month and didn't notice. On the other hand, this kind of quality control problem for a (currently) £500 monitor is outrageous. I just don't know if I'd be willing to put up with a TN panel.

What actual options are there for a similar monitor without backlight bleed? Leaving aside the two that feature the same panel, the MG278Q supposedly has similar QC issues, the Zowie XL2730 (formerly BenQ XL2730Z) costs even more than I paid for the MG279Q. Are there any others?
Not that I know of. But for the money if you are willing to try an ultrawide 1440p 75hz freesync monitor, there is an acer one being sold for around £490-510 if you look around. I think it is called the BX340CK. According to AMD's freesync monitor page it has lfc also. It is not curved, but at that price who gives a toss about curve on such a small display anyway?

Soldato
Sorry for the big bump.

Is this monitor still a good buy today? I'm trying to decide between 1440 or 1440 ultrawide. I would quite like ultrawide but this is over £200 cheaper! I mostly play wow, overwatch and fortnite.

I can see peoples concerns with backlight bleed but this isn't a massive concern to me really because it's not likely something I'm going to notice while gaming.

Is there any other 27" freesync monitors I should be considering?

Soldato
So I picked up this monitor in the end and it is indeed lovely.

I seem to be having problems overclocking my freesync range however. I'm trying to go for 35-110 for now (have an rx480 so don't think I'll get 144 in most games, upgrading to Vega 64 soon then I will go 57-144).

Now the first thing is, before I do anything, Radeon settings tells me my freesync range is 35-144, which is obviously incorrect as the default for this monitor is 35-90. If I monitor my freesync range in the OSD it caps at 89 even if my FPS go higher.

I follow the steps in cru (set range to 35-110, okay it all, run restart64). My freesync range in Radeon settings still displays 35-144 and it still caps out at 89 in the OSD. I have used DDU to uninstall then reinstall the radeon drivers from fresh.

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Soldato
So I picked up this monitor in the end and it is indeed lovely.

I seem to be having problems overclocking my freesync range however. I'm trying to go for 35-110 for now (have an rx480 so don't think I'll get 144 in most games, upgrading to Vega 64 soon then I will go 57-144).

Now the first thing is, before I do anything, Radeon settings tells me my freesync range is 35-144, which is obviously incorrect as the default for this monitor is 35-90. If I monitor my freesync range in the OSD it caps at 89 even if my FPS go higher.

I follow the steps in cru (set range to 35-110, okay it all, run restart64). My freesync range in Radeon settings still displays 35-144 and it still caps out at 89 in the OSD. I have used DDU to uninstall then reinstall the radeon drivers from fresh.

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

You are trying to go to low. Follow the advice given earlier in this page. Set the range to 57 to 144 and let LFC take care of the rest.

Soldato
I have set it to the above now. My Radeon settings show 57-144 now but the OSD still tops out at 90 when freesync seems to disengage. Any ideas?

That's odd, are you sure it's set to 144hz in the monitor properties in windows? Go to Display Settings -> Advanced display settings -> Display adapter properties -> Monitor -> Screen refresh rate

Back
Top Bottom