Asus G751JY ROG Gaming laptop IPS display

Associate
Hi all, and thank you for your hard work. After following this thread I was worried about buying a G751JY-T7009H because of the problems that are mentioned, anyway i went and ordered one from amazon and guess what, no problems with sound or wireless, but i have problem with the screen, its showing a green coloured hue at the bottom of the screen, so i rang up tec support who said it sounds like i have a faulty one, so they sent another one out and its doing the same thing, (anyone else getting this problem?) so back on the phone to them and they have now said there must be a faulty batch, so i now have 2 G751JY-T7009H sitting here waiting to go back, until they do i thought i would test out the performance and installed battle field 4 and set it up to its maximum in game settings, it looks nice but there is slight glitching so i knocked the settings down a tad and it runs smooth, I would have thought with an old game it would have run with no problems? any thoughts on this?

In the mean time Amazon have put a hold on selling the laptop and quoting: "Item Under Review

This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NWE0MUE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

sorry for the bad grammar and spelling.

Soldato
OP
I have had 3 now and not seen any green hue on the screen on any of them. Apart from a small amount of IPS glow the screens have been perfect. Can you get a pic ? If you take it in a dark room without the flash it should show what you are seeing. You can then use a free uploader like Photobucket to post it here.

No issues with BF4 either I was running it last night and all was fine. Have you updated the bios and the Nvidia drivers. The bios can be downloaded from the Asus site and the Nvidia drivers can be updated through Geforece experience.

Another thing is the wireless on the G751 is not the greatest so online gaming would be best done using a wired connection.

Soldato
OP
How is the build quality compared to that of an IBM thinkpad(old)?

The old thinkpad was built like a brick. The G751 is ok build quality wise. It's not Apple quality but it all feels well built. Saying that mine did have 4 screws missing so who quality control might be a bit lacking. :)

Associate
I have had 3 now and not seen any green hue on the screen on any of them. Apart from a small amount of IPS glow the screens have been perfect. Can you get a pic ? If you take it in a dark room without the flash it should show what you are seeing. You can then use a free uploader like Photobucket to post it here.

No issues with BF4 either I was running it last night and all was fine. Have you updated the bios and the Nvidia drivers. The bios can be downloaded from the Asus site and the Nvidia drivers can be updated through Geforece experience.

Another thing is the wireless on the G751 is not the greatest so online gaming would be best done using a wired connection.

I did the Nvidia drivers, but not the bios, I will get a picture of the green hue at some point, thanks for the heads up about the online gaming i've not tried it online yet.

Caporegime
The wireless is rock solid for me and gives maximum throughput, I game/download on it all the time at a constant 15MB/s (125Mbps). :)

Last edited:
Associate
Hi chaps, could those of you that own one of these tell me if the sound card supports the stereo mix/what u hear feature please? I currently have a Lenovo laptop with a Conexant card and the stereo mix is hard disabled due to some dispute with RIAA in America (something to do with music piracy). The spec list doesn't state which sound card is in this Asus and I have a program that needs to use the stereo mix function.

Also what is the general text and image clarity like on them? I do a lot of text based work and my eyes are very sensitive to poor clarity text which I've noticed is sometimes a result of the AG coatings on the panels. I'm aware of the IPS glow on those screen types so can live with that, but I need the text to be crystal clear and pin sharp with no blurry/jagged/aliased edges.

Also, just how bad are the keyboard letters on them? The images on the product page are from bad angles and it's hard to tell. Is the red back light colour configurable to a different colour? I realise these are primarily gaming laptops where you wouldn't be looking at the keyboard too much, but surely the manufacturer realises that people use them for text based stuff as well and having red letters on black keys is a pretty retarded thing to do, no?

Much appreciate your comments please.

Soldato
OP
Hi chaps, could those of you that own one of these tell me if the sound card supports the stereo mix/what u hear feature please? I currently have a Lenovo laptop with a Conexant card and the stereo mix is hard disabled due to some dispute with RIAA in America (something to do with music piracy). The spec list doesn't state which sound card is in this Asus and I have a program that needs to use the stereo mix function.

Also what is the general text and image clarity like on them? I do a lot of text based work and my eyes are very sensitive to poor clarity text which I've noticed is sometimes a result of the AG coatings on the panels. I'm aware of the IPS glow on those screen types so can live with that, but I need the text to be crystal clear and pin sharp with no blurry/jagged/aliased edges.

Also, just how bad are the keyboard letters on them? The images on the product page are from bad angles and it's hard to tell. Is the red back light colour configurable to a different colour? I realise these are primarily gaming laptops where you wouldn't be looking at the keyboard too much, but surely the manufacturer realises that people use them for text based stuff as well and having red letters on black keys is a pretty retarded thing to do, no?

Much appreciate your comments please.

No idea about the audio I'm afraid tbh im not even sure what it means... It's a realtec sound card nothing fancy.

Text is very clear on the screen. The screen is nice and sharp my Wife was using it a few days back and she did not complain.

Personally I find the keyboard a bit crappy. It's ok to type on but the red backlight is not the greatest and as the key indents are red turning the backlight off makes it very hard to see.

Associate
No idea about the audio I'm afraid tbh im not even sure what it means... It's a realtec sound card nothing fancy.

Text is very clear on the screen. The screen is nice and sharp my Wife was using it a few days back and she did not complain.

Personally I find the keyboard a bit crappy. It's ok to type on but the red backlight is not the greatest and as the key indents are red turning the backlight off makes it very hard to see.

Thanks for your reply MOOGLEY. Having done further research I have now decided not to purchase one due to their shocking reliability and never ending problems (see Asus forums). I am now considering the MSI GT72 - do you have any info on their reliability?

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
I have a GT72 as well and although the G751 is a bit more hit and miss quality wise it's a far better machine when you get a good one. The one I have now is perfect.

The GT72 is a nice machine it's just far too expensive for what it is you get a much better spec machine with the Asus. It's also considerably noisier under load if that bothers you.

Associate
I have a GT72 as well and although the G751 is a bit more hit and miss quality wise it's a far better machine when you get a good one. The one I have now is perfect.

The GT72 is a nice machine it's just far too expensive for what it is you get a much better spec machine with the Asus. It's also considerably noisier under load if that bothers you.

Thanks. I don't want to take that risk. I had a lot of problems with a new gaming tower which had to go back several times and I'm not prepared to go through that again with a laptop, no matter how good the spec/price may be. I note in another thread that you too have had a lot of issues with Asus so it's best they are avoided.

Are the MSIs reliable?

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
I had 3 G751's. The first was a review model. I purchased my own which had issues with the wireless and Audio. The wireless was fixed with updated settings but the audio was bad on this one so it was returned.
I then purchased another which apart from 4 screws missing from under the keybaord has been perfectly fine. So only really one that was bad.

The GT72 is ok the screen in my opinion is not the nicest. Mine has the TN screen so going for one with an IPS panel would be a good choice.

The one I have had has been fine but tbh since getting the G751 I have not really used it as I find the G751 a nicer machine to use. It's mainly the screen and noise that sway it for me. I can game on the G751 in the lounge whilst the Wife is watching Tv. The GT72 is quite loud and annoys her a bit.

Considering the G751 with 980M is only £1499 at the moment I know where my money would be going. If there are any issues you can always return and get a refund.

:)

Associate
I had 3 G751's. The first was a review model. I purchased my own which had issues with the wireless and Audio. The wireless was fixed with updated settings but the audio was bad on this one so it was returned.
I then purchased another which apart from 4 screws missing from under the keybaord has been perfectly fine. So only really one that was bad.

The GT72 is ok the screen in my opinion is not the nicest. Mine has the TN screen so going for one with an IPS panel would be a good choice.

The one I have had has been fine but tbh since getting the G751 I have not really used it as I find the G751 a nicer machine to use. It's mainly the screen and noise that sway it for me. I can game on the G751 in the lounge whilst the Wife is watching Tv. The GT72 is quite loud and annoys her a bit.

Considering the G751 with 980M is only £1499 at the moment I know where my money would be going. If there are any issues you can always return and get a refund.

:)

Hmm. :(

Maybe you got lucky then. Just look at all the threads with problems with the G751 over the past 24 hours alone - http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?198-G771-G751-G551-and-GX550-Gaming-Notebooks. Would that not put you off if you were about to spend £1500? :eek: Maybe your expectations are a lot lower than mine? Spending that kind of money I expect trouble free use for many years, not a few hours before I'm asking for RMA numbers. :(

Soldato
OP
Forums are full off users having issues as general people with no issues rarely post. There are threads with people having issues with the MSi as well on Notebook review. Asus sell thousands of them so there is always going to be a few rogue units.

If you buy one and it turns out to be a dud you can always return at the dealers expense for a full refund if it's faulty.

If you get the GT72 I'm sure you will be happy as it's a great machine but when you have both together it would be hard for me to recommend the GT72 over the G751 tbh...

Associate
Forums are full off users having issues as general people with no issues rarely post. There are threads with people having issues with the MSi as well on Notebook review. Asus sell thousands of them so there is always going to be a few rogue units.

If you buy one and it turns out to be a dud you can always return at the dealers expense for a full refund if it's faulty.

If you get the GT72 I'm sure you will be happy as it's a great machine but when you have both together it would be hard for me to recommend the GT72 over the G751 tbh...

I just want one without problems. :( Your 66% reliability rate is not particularly confidence inspiring when coupled with the Asus user forum experiences on top.

Any experiences with Clevo brand or Alienware? Do they make comparable spec machines?

Associate
You can buy anything with issues unfortunately it's always a risk especially on high end electronics you buy online.

Have a look here it's a forum dedicated to Notebooks and has sections for all the laptop brands with user reviews and opinions.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/

This is why I would not spend that kind of money to buy from a vendor im not 100% confident about.

Bought from OCUK before, had problems with components which they resolved very quickly.

There are a lot of cheaper vendors on the web who seem to be fine if you get a good machine but have awful customer service if you get a dud. There are some really disconcerting horror stories around.

Associate
So what are the main issues with the Asus and are they easily fixable? Reading the forums I've found the main gripes are :

1. poor sound quality/balance issues/sub not working.
2. poor wifi connectivity, very slow speeds, connection dropping.
3. left side USB sockets have slow transfer speeds and randomly disconnect themselves.
4. lots of black screen/freezing issues when installing updates.

:(

Back
Top Bottom