• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus HD 7970 Matrix Platinum 3072MB GDDR5 **IN STOCK**

Associate
After a few days with the card I have the same view as Rossi, its a great piece of hardware but GPUTweak is lame and I wished I'd gone with an MSI.

I've forgone any voltage tweaks and have started using Afterburner again.

The only ray of light is that according to an Asus guy on the GPUTweak forum they have recognised the issues Rossi has pointed out and are going to issue a fix.

Hopefully it will sort out some of the many other bugs GPUTweak contains such as not saving some of its internal settings when you make a change.

Regards
Fred

Associate
awesome. i think i got a terrible chip on my card tho. i can barely keep it stable at stock clocks. and 2D/windowed gaming? impossible, just garbled nonsense and driver crash if i try. and now the 3rd of november, still no free game :(

Soldato
awesome. i think i got a terrible chip on my card tho. i can barely keep it stable at stock clocks. and 2D/windowed gaming? impossible, just garbled nonsense and driver crash if i try. and now the 3rd of november, still no free game :(

Are you using 12.11 betas? As I had some issues with driver crashes directly related to the driver its self.

Things to try:

Open CCC, enable overdrive (or what ever the OC utility is in CCC) and see what clocks are set, you may find if you've overclocked the card at any time, CCC has hard locked those OC clocks even after a reset with a 3rd party program (AB, GPUT etc..). If the clocks are still at an increased clock, reset to defaults in CCC and reboot.

The second thing was some file corruption in the driver files located in the windows32/drivers folder, from here you have two options:
  1. Go to C:/Windows/System32/Drivers and replace atikmpag/atikmdag with the same files but from 12.8
  2. Uninstall the driver completely, manually remove the above two files and re-install

Associate
ill have a play about with things, see if it gets any better. id be more inclined to think it was drivers rather than the card, i highly doubt many of these cards are shipped out faulty. has anyone had any games emailed to them yet? sat refreshing my mailbox lastnight but still nothing tonight either. dying to play sleeping dogs. lol

Associate
OP
Just to let you guys know that I have received an e-mail from OCuk saying they are willing to give me the game codes that came with ordering the card..so thanks OCuk:)

I`ve been using Asus GPU Tweak ver 2.2.8.1 and very happy with my OC.

GPU Clock 1275
GPU Voltage 1325
VDDCI 0865
Memory 7200 (1800)
Memory Voltage 1656
Power target 0120
Load Line 0100
VRM Clock 0762
Both Fans at 100% In game Temps don`t go over 68*c

I run this in game only and default when in desktop.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes I've had the games code arrive today.

I'm running the 12.11 beta 4 drivers without issues, my card seems quite happy to clock like a champ, but as its for eyefinity gaming I'm not interested in the outright speed, just reliable overclocking.

Not having Crossfire anymore is nice!

Regards
Fred

Soldato
What were the final clocks and volts you achieved on this card rossi?

Haven't reached my final clocks yet. Waiting for 2 things

12.11 final from ATi
GPU Tweak 7979 Matrix update 2.2.9.5

Until then the highest is 1300/7200 @ 1.35v or 1250/7000 @ 1.3v 24/7 @ auto fan speed. No custom fan settings available apart from manual.

Associate
Rossi, have you played with the hotkeys, I have and they work but I need to enable them each time GPUTweak starts which is a little bit of a pain.

Cheers
Fred

Soldato
Nope, never touched the hotkeys since it was mega bugged out originally. I don't think i'll use them. I just want to set 2 different profiles, with some sort of stability and fan control. 1. 24/7 profile
2. Benchmarking

Then never have to touch GPU Tweak again until i want to bench then just select profile 2.

Soldato
@ Rossi
Apart from the GPU Tweak issues are you pleased with the card overall?

Apart from GPU Tweak, definitely! More than pleased with the card itself.
It can take a lot of voltage.
It can handle the voltage due to the heatsink and fans.
It looks great.
It doesn't bend under it's huge weight due to the design and backplate.
Got it under £400

My only real concern with the card itself is the positioning of buttons on the board. Not designed for being in a case but should be fine on a test bed, which i suppose is what it's designed for. Same with my last Matrix Platinum.

Associate
ok so i uninstalled and deleted those two files in system32/drivers and i installed the drivers again (12.11beta) and just put it up to 1250 and 1.3v, 7000 memory @ 1640mv and ran heaven on auto fans, it seemed fine, no artifacts, but then about 1 minute in it froze for 10 seconds, black screen then exit, driver crashed warning. going by you guys experience, is this lack of memory volts or gpu volts? considering it wasnt artifacting. (was refreshing to see no artifacts despite crash, lol) any help much appreciated :)

Caporegime
ok so i uninstalled and deleted those two files in system32/drivers and i installed the drivers again (12.11beta) and just put it up to 1250 and 1.3v, 7000 memory @ 1640mv and ran heaven on auto fans, it seemed fine, no artifacts, but then about 1 minute in it froze for 10 seconds, black screen then exit, driver crashed warning. going by you guys experience, is this lack of memory volts or gpu volts? considering it wasnt artifacting. (was refreshing to see no artifacts despite crash, lol) any help much appreciated :)

That is a lack of core volts bud.

Back
Top Bottom