• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus issues BIOS update to solve Intel CPU game crashing.

Soldato
Well I put the latest bios on my apex z790 and no matter how many time I've tryed the arura stays on when the pc is off so whent back to the previous one, not had any problems with my 13900ks in games.

Soldato
I'm confused at the not so subtle digs at Nvidia in the OP.

If a user has an AMD GPU, they shouldn't be concerned their Intel CPUs are degrading then?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm confused at the not so subtle digs at Nvidia in the OP.

If a user has an AMD GPU, they shouldn't be concerned their Intel CPUs are degrading then?
So far as I know, your graphics card is not the reason for the instability issues since they're primarily about the settings applied by the motherboard, but it could change how often you encounter it if:
1. It makes stuff run hotter.
2. It makes the CPU run faster.

Soldato
So far as I know, your graphics card is not the reason for the instability issues since they're primarily about the settings applied by the motherboard, but it could change how often you encounter it if:
1. It makes stuff run hotter.
2. It makes the CPU run faster.

So is it an nvidia problem, who have thrown Intel under the bus, like the OP implies? It is literally the opening statement of this thread. Should we all therefore be buying AMD GPUs?

It's a rhetorical question btw, I already know what humbug wants people to think.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
So is it an nvidia problem, who have thrown Intel under the bus, like the OP implies? It is literally the opening statement of this thread. Should we all therefore be buying AMD GPUs?

It's a rhetorical question btw, I already know what humbug wants people to think.
No you should be buying whatever GPU you feel is right for your needs, this is not an Nvidia problem, at all, Nvidia were right to throw Intel under the bus.

It was just a joke, having had criticism for not offering enough VRam on past GPU's, rightly or wrongly here not being the argument, i just thought the error message, that being "out of video memory" was amusing, imagine Nvidia's reaction... upon seeing it. :D

I have a childish situational sense of humour, no ill will toward Nvidia at all...

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm, from what I can gather, your CPU is both, it is limited and not limited.

In the manual, Asus say:
- The long duration limit is treated as equivalent to PL1.
- The short duration limit is treated as equivalent to PL2.

Your BIOS has set no power cap set for PL2 (4096 watts), but after 96 seconds it will revert to PL1 (253 watts).

The Intel spec says that:
- PL1 is 125 watts (K) or 150 watts (KS).
- PL2 is 253 watts.
- The recommended duration of PL2 is 56 seconds.

So, you are exceeding PL1 by 128 watts and PL2 by an unlimited amount, depending on the application.

A closer to stock configuration (since Intel consider an infinite PL2 boost as stock) would be to set:
- PL1 to 125 watts.
- PL2 to 253 watts.
- Package power time window to infinite.

That said, if you aren't having any stability issues then there's no need to change anything unless you want to.

Or if you're not running any high current all-core workloads

Associate
Desperate times : Intel - sales are crap and they are losing money. They have just got to sell chips anyway they can to whoever.

Stock price down over 30% ytd to $31. - market cap down to 132Bn

AMD market cap now 253Bn.

Desperate times indeed.

Caporegime
OP
Asus out of the box BIOS: 320 watts, Score 39,951 @89c
Intel defaults: 253 watts, score 37,866 @76c

Not too bad, about a 6% drop, the trouble though with that for Intel is the Ryzen 9 7950X scores 38,657 @ 186 watts, according to Toms Hardware. Not crashing in games and slowly cocking its self.

Last edited:
Soldato
They've been doing it for a long while, but I guess they got away with it until these latest i9 CPUs, though Buildzoid theorised that Intel's binning process probably isn't all that either lately and more CPUs are failing to run Cinebench "out of the box", so maybe it is a combination of motherboard makers taking liberties and Intel binning CPUs right on the edge to maximise performance or profits @ the high-end.

I don't know why Intel bother producing all these detailed specs, tbh (you can't publicly download them for AMD, so far as I know, but Buildzoid said they're a lot more strict and nvidia are super strict).

Yeah, any board you buy (especially the high-end ones) is basically just factory overclocked in ways that are not explained to the user and in many cases the settings are buried away in the BIOS and the first you'll know about it, is that your temps/power draw are really high and/or it crashes, which has led to this situation of the updated profiles that are reverting to the recommended config.

There's no universality in those profiles either (i.e. they can be different between brands), since they're admitting their "out of the box" profiles have little resemblance to how these CPUs are supposed to be run and Intel have either been ignorant of that fact, or (more likely) just turning a blind eye to it.

I remember a time when motherboard manufacturers got dragged over coals for this kind of behaviour.

Intels performance now being “opportunistic*” muddies the water.

Caporegime
OP
One of these new profiles pushing 1.7v+ :o

I wouldn't be updating to one of these, better to make any changes manually.

Just on the normal profile:

"Oh it crashed, this CPU can't run R15, it does that, never mind"

What? Are we being trained to normalise the CPU not being stable when it comes to Intel? I know he's being a little pedantic about it but at the same time he also seems to have accepted it as something perfectly normal, i do wonder sometimes, its like when Yes Tech City made a video about his 13900K just being really crap in heavy multitasking workloads, hanging, grindy, unresponsive, other people looking at that: "oh yeah mine does that, its just normal isn't it?"

No... No its not normal.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I've been running my CPU for 4 years and it has never put a toe wrong, it has never failed to do anything i have asked of it in a way that is anything less than perfect.

This is not amazing, this is as you should expect it from such a high tech expensive product.

Man of Honour

What? Are we being trained to normalise the CPU not being stable when it comes to Intel? I know he's being a little pedantic about it but at the same time he also seems to have accepted it as something perfectly normal, i do wonder sometimes, its like when Yes Tech City made a video about his 13900K just being really crap in heavy multitasking workloads, hanging, grindy, unresponsive, other people looking at that: "oh yeah mine does that, its just normal isn't it?"

No... No its not normal.
He said in the earlier video that it is pretty common that if you buy a decent sized sample of these (e.g. 30, 50) that a large number will fail to run Cinebench on "out of the box" settings, according to other sources he has. He did admit that this particular CPU is an unusually bad one, but even so.

Caporegime
OP
He said in the earlier video that it is pretty common that if you buy a decent sized sample of these (e.g. 30, 50) that a large number will fail to run Cinebench on "out of the box" settings, according to other sources he has. He did admit that this particular CPU is an unusually bad one, but even so.

Right... how is this a thing now?

Soldato
True, but the crashing that has been reported when compiling shaders suggests they can still find a way to crash even if you only game :D

That is a high current workload lol. I've had CPUs that do this, but changing the VID behaviour setting is sufficient to resolve the instability short of disabling core enhancement settings. At least in this case, the overclocking can be circumvented. You'd have to be pushing an agenda to argue it's any worse than not knowing your own CPU's tolerances to the point where it blows a hole in the substrate. People make mistakes and learn from them.

Last edited:
Associate
Am I the only one who is kind of nervous for Intel? At least when AMD was in the dark ages there, they had GPU sales, even if they were a distant second to nVidia.

But this whole situation reeks of desperation on Intel's part. Pumping stupid amounts of juice through these monstrosities to edge some benchmarks at the cost of stability and longevity, is a terrible look. Without running these things so haggard that they literally throttle with 360 radiators attaches, they'd lose all the benchmarks while still sipping back double the power. How did they fall so far behind? They had a full decade of owning the market. This makes no sense

I remember people going intel because AMD boards were too expensive a year ago. Imagine buying into a dead end socket built up on lies and insane power requirements just to save 40 bucks on a mobo that will last for generations. Shortsighted, to put it mildly

I say that as someone who went AMD this gen for the first time ever. If I have loyalty to anyone, it's Intel. But this hasn't even been a choice this era, to be frank

Man of Honour
That is a high current workload lol. I've had CPUs that do this, but changing the VID behaviour setting is sufficient to resolve the instability short of disabling core enhancement settings. At least in this case, the overclocking can be circumvented. You'd have to be pushing an agenda to argue it's any worse than not knowing your own CPU's tolerances to the point where it blows a hole in the substrate. People make mistakes and learn from them.
Yeah, I know, but these "out of the box" overclocks appear to have been either assumed that for the average user it won't be encountered (oops, UE5), or they've been configured for CPUs that are better bins than they actually are.

While to a certain extent I'd say: "you got a 14900K, changing the BIOS shouldn't be beyond you" (& is actually the first thing I do with a new Intel CPU, to disable stuff like MCE), it seems pretty clear that even enabling XMP taxes the noggin' of some 14900KS buyers.

Buildzoid did say that it is easy enough to fix, that like you say, you could just change the VID behaviour, but none of this stuff should be needed "out of the box" and right now, for a minority of these CPUs, it is.

Intel® has observed 600/700 Series chipset boards often set BIOS defaults to disable thermal and power delivery safeguards designed to limit processor exposure to sustained periods of high voltage and frequency, for example:

– Disabling Current Excursion Protection (CEP)
– Enabling the IccMax Unlimited bit
– Disabling Thermal Velocity Boost (TVB) and/or Enhanced Thermal Velocity Boost (eTVB)
– Additional settings which may increase the risk of system instability:
– Disabling C-states
– Using Windows Ultimate Performance mode
– Increasing PL1 and PL2 beyond Intel® recommended limits

Intel® requests system and motherboard manufacturers to provide end users with a default BIOS profile that matches Intel® recommended settings.

Intel® strongly recommends customer's default BIOS settings should ensure operation within Intel's recommended settings.

In addition, Intel® strongly recommends motherboard manufacturers to implement warnings for end users alerting them to any unlocked or overclocking feature usage.

Last edited:
Soldato

No... No its not normal.
He's showing that the motherboard manufacturers are undervolting which is why it's crashing at 'stock' when it should be stable. He deliberately chose a CPU that lost the silicon lottery to illustrate the point.

Of course I agree though that it shouldn't be considered normal and that Intel and the motherboard manufacturers are to blame, but I think he was trying to say that the low silicon quality CPU normally crashes with out of the box settings not that it's normal or expected behaviour.

Soldato
He's showing that the motherboard manufacturers are undervolting which is why it's crashing at 'stock' when it should be stable. He deliberately chose a CPU that lost the silicon lottery to illustrate the point.

Of course I agree though that it shouldn't be considered normal and that Intel and the motherboard manufacturers are to blame, but I think he was trying to say that the low silicon quality CPU normally crashes with out of the box settings not that it's normal or expected behaviour.

Before releasing the base profile, GTSD approved the knowledge base article that instructed the user to
1. Set "SVID Behavior" in BIOS to "Intel's Fail Safe."
2. Disable MCE in the BIOS
3. Decrease CPU Ratio

If the system is unstable without SVID Intel Fail Safe behaviour, it's because the default AC Loadline value is factoring in too much vdroop when the CPU is sending the VID request based on the factory fused V/F curve to the voltage controller (for which only the CPU can request, it's the CPU that requests what voltage it needs). For whatever reason, the voltage received isn't sufficient for stability under certain load. Different loads produce different swings in current and, for whatever reason, UE5 seems to be quite good at exposing it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom