Asus MW221U 22" Ghosting in games.

Associate
Hi there.

With the firmware upgrade I can't see any yellow ghost at all, I tried also with a different set of colors (more black, less gray) and still no ghost.

When i was writing that page, i did test it at work with some other TFT's (IBM) and with some laptops, and neither of them showed the same issues.

Not sure if other 2ms will show the problem, but i really doubt it, it would be really annoying if moving to a 2ms panel will cause that behavior. Of course we don't know yet which fix has they done with the firmware, i guess that my monitor is 2ms and to be honest, it does feel a little faster than before, even than before with the OD active.

I can't understand how they can say that the problem is difficult to see?
The box page shows clearly the problem, maybe I should include the bright, color and contrast setting in the page, so they know how to set the monitor to see the problem.

What you're suppose to see, at least what i was trying to show was the same ghost effect you get while playing some FPS games, and moving quickly left to right, you see a yellowish shadow, like if the boxes where leaving a yellow trace.
If you drag the window and moving around, the ghost is worse and in all directions, not just left and right.
This is a crappy repro of what you are suppose to see:
http://www.zen24223.zen.co.uk/asussimu.htm
(No idea how this would look with a monitor with the problem)

With reference to the colors and contrast, i know that made a difference with the old firmware, I wrote a message in this post regarding the same, while playing with the box page, setting some specific values for bright and contrast reduce the ghost to near zero. BUT only for that set of colors, if i changed the page to have some values for the colors used (background and boxes) I got the ghosting back even with the tweaked bright and contrast settings.

With the new firmware, some settings are lost if you turn it off complete, which sucks, but is better to have ghosting 8)

Last edited:
Associate
Dubi said:
Hi there.

When i was writing that page, i did test it at work with some other TFT's (IBM) and with some laptops, and neither of them showed the same issues.

I can't understand how they can say that the problem is difficult to see?
The box page shows clearly the problem, maybe I should include the bright, color and contrast setting in the page, so they know how to set the monitor to see the problem.

What you're suppose to see, at least what i was trying to show was the same ghost effect you get while playing some FPS games, and moving quickly left to right, you see a yellowish shadow, like if the boxes where leaving a yellow trace.
If you drag the window and moving around, the ghost is worse and in all directions, not just left and right.
This is a crappy repro of what you are suppose to see:
http://www.zen24223.zen.co.uk/asussimu.htm
(No idea how this would look with a monitor with the problem)

With reference to the colors and contrast, i know that made a difference with the old firmware, I wrote a message in this post regarding the same, while playing with the box page, setting some specific values for bright and contrast reduce the ghost to near zero. BUT only for that set of colors, if i changed the page to have some values for the colors used (background and boxes) I got the ghosting back even with the tweaked bright and contrast settings.

With the new firmware, some settings are lost if you turn it off complete, which sucks, but is better to have ghosting 8)

Mate can you ensure that the link is active ie do not get rid of it as it is what i am using for Aussies to test (referenced from here) their panels and asus is using it now as well.

If you can reference brightness and contrast settings that would assist but the link is much appreciated.

As mentioned low brightness and\or darker blue background seems to make seeing the ghosting harder.

Thanks for your help

Associate
Hi,

No problem leaving the link in there until i change my isp provider (not in a near future i hope :) )

My monitor is fixed so I'm not quite sure about the values for contrast and bright i should put in there.
I can put a note with the values I wrote in a post some time ago if you think it would help. Otherwise, you can always send me what you currently have (monitor and windows settings) and I include those values in the page as a reference.

[EDIT]

I've update the page with the values from my previous post. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Dubi said:
Hi,

No problem leaving the link in there until i change my isp provider (not in a near future i hope :) )

My monitor is fixed so I'm not quite sure about the values for contrast and bright i should put in there.
I can put a note with the values I wrote in a post some time ago if you think it would help. Otherwise, you can always send me what you currently have (monitor and windows settings) and I include those values in the page as a reference.:)

Sorry with that gamma I see no boxes at all. i set the same brightness and contrast in nvidia panel as in menu. really in my testing I used same as menu default andwith nv panel left it at 60/50 and 37 gamma.
I've update the page with the values from my previous post.

Associate
Can you tell me with which setting you see the boxes?
I don't recall the default settings with the new firmware.

If you post your values, i'll update the page :)

Monitor Settings:
Brightness: x
Contrast: x
Sharpness: x
Saturation: x

Nvidia control panel:
Brigthness: x%
Digital Vibrance: x%
Contrast: x%
Image sharpening:None
Gamma: x%

Associate
Dubi said:
Can you tell me with which setting you see the boxes?
I don't recall the default settings with the new firmware.

If you post your values, i'll update the page :)
none= not selectable

Monitor Settings: default as it resets every power on
Brightness: 90
Contrast: 60
Sharpness: none
Saturation: none

Nvidia control panel:
Brigthness: 60%
Digital Vibrance: none
Contrast: 60
Image sharpening:None
Gamma: 39%

Actually this NV panel settings do they override the menu settings or compliment them?

OK the missing menu items are only missing for Standard mode the other modes all items are present

Last edited:
Associate
Updated the page with your values :)

Also, I've included the last avi file showing the problem, hope that also helps the support guys to reproduce the problem.

The settings in the control panel are just for the nvidia graphic, they don't overwrite the values in the monitor.

If you have the old nvidia control style (in display properties rather than in control panel) there is another menu to control colors, contrast, etc called "NVIDIA Direct Access - MW221". This one does control the values directly within the monitor, but this option is quite limited with this monitor. My previous Mitsubishi got a lot more options which were available directly from within this menu.

Associate
My US contact is telling me he can not duplicate the issues I se. He does not see any ghosting. I pointed him to this page, and gave him the link for the boxes test page.

my last reply from him said since he could not find any issues, he would have to send my monitor back, without updating the firmware.

ARGH!

Not good. I just dont understand how it's possible not to see ghosting. It's so very obvious in BF2142 and RVS, as well as the test page. I'm not saying he's lying, but I just dont see how the tests they run do not show the horrible ghosting that I see.

I replied back asking who I need to contact to get the firmware updated. Asking too if they tried teasting the box webpage. I never did get a clear answer to that one.

Associate
that sucks!!!! :confused:

Maybe they are using different settings in their windows machine.
I wonder if making a avi video of the box page showing the ghost would help them to understand what they're suppose to look for.

I'm happy to include anything you guys think in that page, if it would help them to see (and fix!!!) the problem.

Associate
CSpaR said:
My US contact is telling me he can not duplicate the issues I se. He does not see any ghosting. I pointed him to this page, and gave him the link for the boxes test page.

my last reply from him said since he could not find any issues, he would have to send my monitor back, without updating the firmware.

ARGH!

Not good. I just dont understand how it's possible not to see ghosting. It's so very obvious in BF2142 and RVS, as well as the test page. I'm not saying he's lying, but I just dont see how the tests they run do not show the horrible ghosting that I see.

I replied back asking who I need to contact to get the firmware updated. Asking too if they tried teasting the box webpage. I never did get a clear answer to that one.

Overdrive off by chance? Tell them to open windows mail or Outlook express and open an email and click on the box tab between - and X top RH corner. Grab the small winndow and move the window in a circular motion. The text trails a ghost everywhere, as does scrolling this window I am typing in now in the edit screen.

They may have the brightness set low < 50 negates the ghosting as eyes cannot determine the box ghosting. though you can still see it behind a moving mouse curser moving accross light grey background. Across dark blue invisible as well.

I will inform asus TW re this about time they informed asus worldwide. Owners should be intitled to an update whatever since the update was for a specific issue. The time they took testing could have been used to update the firmware. We in Oz had same problem in Melbourne They "tested" the monitor for 6 hrs and sent it back with 059 version still untouched. Also aske dif it is mandatory to test the panel shouldn't they just upadte it.

Tell the 063 is necessary period or wait for new version coming in 2-3 weeks do NOT allow 064e the current 1 to be installed. Ghosting fix disabled on it.

Last edited:
Associate
I had the 59 firmware, manf date Dec06. This part of my back and forth with ASUS:

I understand your position. However, I do have reliable sources that say ASUS has updated the firmware for this monitor, due to the issue I was reporting.

I have seen similar posts from other owners who also stated that their ASUS contact could not replicate the issue. However, they were able to have the firmware updated, and now no longer suffer from that problem. All I ask is that my monitor be updated to the firmware which corrects this, as noted by many other owners.

What type of DVI cable are you using? Is it the one that ships with the monitor? Just trying to eliminate that possibility.

You have tested the monitor using the website with those moving boxes I sent you, and you do not see any ghosting at all? That is very odd. it would be one thing if I saw the same on my Dell or the other Samsung I tested, but I did not. What do you think would cause that to happen?

I've had major ghosting while playing BF2142 and RainbowSix: RavenShield. What games have you tested? The ghosting is noticable when viewing dark areas, like those in the moving boxes test website. That is why the test page was created by one monitor owner.

I hate to be so persistent, but I really feel that there is an issue, and there is a firmware that fixes this. Who do I need to contact to have the firmware on my monitor updated to the latest version?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: ASUS Service No=152246; Rma No=
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 09:18:01 -0700
To: (deleted)

The firmware wouldn't be updated by you or by ASUS. According to the testing that I've done on the monitor you've sent me, there are no problems. If there were, then it would have appeared in one of the games/demos/benchmarks that I ran on it. I did fully check out the links you had sent me, and like I had stated before, it sounded pretty odd to me, as I had worked with this monitor, other cases, several times. There is no firmware update needed to resolve a problem that can't be duplicated here in the office. To be honest, in the research that I had done, we never really confirmed there was a firmware update, just that if there was one, it would be on the newly manufactuered monitors. The output I am using is the DVI out from a ATI 1900XT. I have forwarded the request over to RMA, but since it hasn't been replaced yet, and I've already confirmed with them the monitor is working here, I don't believe they will authorize a replacement. Still waiting for confirmation from the RMA dept. If they deny a replacement, then the only thing that I can do is ship this monitor back to you as no problem found. The issues that you were having were, according to you, very easy to duplicate correct? If so, then I must say, it's working fine here. Thanks.

Best Regards,

(name deleted)
Asst. Supervisor / Lead Tech Engineer

Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 11:25 AM
To: (name deleted)

Hmm.. Send it back to me without applying the ASUS firmware fix? I don't know if I'm comfortable with that. How do I get the latest firmware update on to my monitor? Since it's a special cable that ASUS uses, then how would I update it?

What cable are you using to attach the monitor to your test box? Have you gone to the website I sent you? Do you not see the ghosting there? I see no ghosting at all from my Dell. Nothing like the ghosting I see on the ASUS when testing both on that same webpage.

My system is a AMD3700+, DFI LanParty MB, 2 gig ram, 1900XT ATI vid card. I've updated the drivers several times in the last couple of months since using this monitor. All have shown the same issue. Even tested a NVidia vid card too.

Do you have the latest firmware there? Version 63 or the 64e? I believe my monitor has v59. Can you update it before sending it back?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 08:10:16 -0700
To: (name deleted)

I have sent an email to the RMA dept trying to find the status of your replacement. We had requested that they replace the monitor, but now that I have yours in here and haven't been able to duplicate your issue, I'm not certain that they will want to replace it. I've ran almost every game that we have in here for the past week, as well as ran benchmarks, and demos of other games, and have not been able to duplicate your problem. Everything has looked great, with no ghosting or distortion. It shouldn't matter, but I was running this on a Intel 975X chipset motherboard with the ATI Radeon 1900XT series graphic card, windows XP. Looks great. I'm ready to send this back to you, so I'm waiting for the reply from the RMA dept, to see if they were going to replace it, or if they were waiting for my findings. As soon as I get a reply, I'll follow up with you. Thanks.

Best Regards,

(name deleted)
Asst. Supervisor / Lead Tech Engineer

Associate
So they still do not acknowledge there is an update. Gees the time they spent testing they could have updated it. What do they think, u like losing your panel for 1-2 weeks for the fun of it.

My correspondence shows that asus is having a problem reproducing the issue even in their RSD area. 1 thing interesting they could not reproduce mine but updated the firmware anyway (ok to 064e but unfortunately that 1 is broken). What they should do is ask for 063 update and update to that and u will be happy.

Anyway waiting a reply from asus Tw re this and my issue. I would refuse to have it sent back without the update. though your call.

As mentioned do not ask for 64e you will still have ghosting...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How i would love to be stood next to one of those guys who say they cannot see the ghosting. There wouldn't be a huge thread like this if there was no problem and Asus UK wouldnt have acknowledged it either.

Very poor service.

Associate
I don't understand what kind of research they've done, if you follow this thread is quite clear that as soon as ASUS UK found
a fix for the problem, they contact us to get our monitors repaired.

This is the email I received from Vasco (He is gone :( )

- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -
Subject : ASUS LCD MONITOR MW221U
Date : Tue, 8 May 2007 14:08:44 +0100
To : <[email protected]>

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

Just to let you know that a solution is in place that solves the issues for
your monitor. Please call me on 01442 202 734 as soon as you can so that we
put this in motion.

Best regards,

Vasco Sousa
Technical Support
T: +44 (0) 1442 202 734
[email protected]
- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -

To be honest, even than ASUS UK and ASUS AU are different entities, they should have some kind of internal communications, We (you, because mine is fixed :) ) shouldn't really need to worry about finding what or how the fix was done, and even less, put it contact different support groups within the same organization.

In my opinion is pathetic they don't want to accept the fact that there is a problem, and even worse, that there is a fix (firmware upgrade, board replacement, etc.)

You paid for something and is not working properly, the fact that other users got the same problem and they managed to get it fixed, it give you more argument to your complaints.

Associate
Yeah u UK owners were very lucky to have vasco.

What I gather is AU was included as I am there and my contact informed AU Asus to the update though not all AU so I hear.

The word I had was RSD, the group who develops these updates did not want to pass on the info till it was confirmed that the update worked and as they had fiddled with the update 2 times since 063 and wanted confirmation they did not mess it up. I and another aussie confirmed that though still havent got confirmation to re that.

What I have not agreed with and expressed in several emails to Asus HQ was they should inform Asus worldwide re the update fix and to help re this issue I passed on several comments here re US and German Asus comments.

Seems from above they still have not passed on the comments.

Ok while we external UK owners wait I have 2 questions re this monitor
1 Any1 try an analogue cable ie VGA? I did to see if that affected the ghosting but at 1680*1050 the window was 50mm too far left ie black bar on right screen. Even using new postitioning menu otion I could not move to closer than 25MM to edge. Oh ghosting still there btw.

2. I am seeing in newsgroup type and in some forums a red over type on the black letters. This with normal windows IE window zoom option =100%. Starting to notice it quite a bit. If I zoom the windows it goes away ie only in normal zoom. i see it also in display settings / advanced settings ie the adapter properties also.

an example is the poster name Mookill here i get red around the "ill"
http://www.whirlpool.net.au/forum-search.cfm?s=1529536&r=1747847

I use vista ultimate and a nvidia 8800gtx.

any 1 see either these issues?

Dubi You shouldn't really post your email in an open forum ie in the email from Vasco.

Last edited:
Associate
I will try to find a normal vga cable to test how it looks without DVI.
I've check that forum page with explorer on Vista, and nothing weird around the "ill" The test looks sharp and clear (even better than on XP 8)

Don't worry, [email protected] is not my real email address, hope nobody got that email, just in case :)

Associate
Dubi said:
I will try to find a normal vga cable to test how it looks without DVI.
I've check that forum page with explorer on Vista, and nothing weird around the "ill" The test looks sharp and clear (even better than on XP 8)

Don't worry, [email protected] is not my real email address, hope nobody got that email, just in case :)

Ok thanks I wonder if the red is an effect of 064e as 1 poster here said in 063 he thought things looked crisper .

OK US and germany users read below

from asus TW said:
Though ASUS OZ knows about this issue, they are using different test tools to replicate this issue. No wonder they did not see the issue...
The test utility used at ASUS UK and ASUS HQ has been passed to ASUS OZ again, this time, it should work, or at least, ensure you get
the exact same firmware as what has been done in ASUS UK.
Will ask it forwarded onto US and other areas

Last edited:
Associate
Just to let you all lnow mine back in for version 65 update. An aussie got his done Tuesday and though he did not know which version installed his ghosting via the test links is now gone. so hopefully this saga complete for me and Aussie panels. Now for the rest of the world.

Ok received this from asus
Thank you for your information.
The firmware version is 065 which is the latest update that Jack mentioned before.
The information has been provided to other centres for reference.

As you might be aware of, the display result may vary due to your display content and the design difference on the device in use (e.g. VGA card, processor speed).
In order to reduce the display compatibility, overdrive adjustment is built-in to OSD menu in firmware 065.
The setting will be saved even if the monitor has been turned off before.

You can adjust the setting in OSD menu by the steps below:
1. Press [MENU] key to enter OSD menu
2. Press [->] key to move the cursor to [Image] tab
3. Press [MENU] to enter [Image] tab
4. Scroll down to [OverDrive] and press [MENU] key to enter OverDrive menu
5. Adjust the setting to ON or OFF based on your display content

So other countries can ask for 065 now i take it.

Last edited:
Associate
I just rec'd a new panel replacement for mine sent in about three weeks ago. It's a march2007 mfg date.

Only problem is, they didnt send the base stand back. So now, my monitor is resting o nthe desk. Hmm..

Called into RMA and asked about it. The woman who asnwered was very short and not very polite with me. She said they are in the middle of moving and would need to have someone check the original box I sent them to see if the stand is there.

I don't have much hope in her, or that they will find my original box. This is very concerning,. I wont have a way to prop up my monitor now.

i hope they send one out soon. When I asked the RMA girl when they could look into this, she seems annoyed. She said "someone has to look for it, dont they?". Like I was asking a stupid question. Good thing they have her answering the customer phone line.

Back
Top Bottom