Asus MW221U 22" Ghosting in games.

Soldato
Im really liking this monitor except for noticable ghosting in games next to dark objects. I wish I had a camera to capture the effect, but in the picture below if i move the camera from left to right there is a thick bright yellow ghost of the fire escape to the right of the dark fire escape. I always expected the ghost to be behind but its in front of it as i move.

Does anyone else with this Asus have the same problem or have I got a dud ?

Heres a picture from in Oblivion in Anvil docks. Again when i move the camera there is thick yellow ghost of the dark ship next to it. It seemed more prominent at night time in game. If anyone has this game with the Asus or any of the other 22" panels I would be interested if its the same for you.

Soldato
OP
Lolcb said:
Screenshots don't show ghosting etc lol. U need to take pics of it.

Hence why i said "I wish I had a camera to capture the effect" :rolleyes:

It would be useful if someone could look at a similar screen to see if they have it. Its that bad i think im going to RMA. Also it seems im not the only one with the problem. This guy has it too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Baddass said:
something like Powerstrip might allow you to create a custom res/refresh to try

Ive just created a custom profile with 75Hz in the Nvidia driver, unfortunatly the screen becomes corrupted and text looks messed up. :(

Soldato
OP
Another thing i was wondering. The monitor only displays a picture with the connector furthest away from the motherboard on my graphics card. I would have thought either output would work fine like it does with my CRT. Is that normal ?

Soldato
OP
Can someone explain this. The monitor only displays a picture with one of the DVI outputs from my gfx card, the connector furthest away from the motherboard. I would have thought either output would work fine like it does with my CRT. :confused:

Soldato
OP
.:dhry:. SiroVa said:
The asus MW221U shouldnt ghost, or it should be barely noticable. I have spoken to various ppl with this screen who have said theres no visible ghosting.

I'd say RMA time.

I agree it shouldn't ghost as that is a feature in the specs. It does only ghost in specific situations as i said i.e a dark object with a lighter background so maybe the people you spoke to havent come across this, ive been playing WoW for the last few days and not once have i seen a problem and the game looks amazing, even bette than my Mitsubish Diamond Pro 920 CRT (like gibbo's)

I wish some owners of the Asus or any other TN panel 22" owners who have oblivion could check out the area of the game at night that i showed in my original post, then i may know whether i have a faulty panel or whether another manufacturer would be better. ;)

Soldato
OP
Good idea,

Here is a link to a scene in oblivion.

it about 50 mb, if I run it looped i can see white ghosting next to the lighthouse and boat.

You will need Fraps to run it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dougsnake said:
Fine for me even though the clip is a bit short,i dont have oblivion installed anymore cos i got bored of it by the way...........

The file size was huge so i kept it short, but if you click repeat in media player it loops well.

Nogimmix said:
Fine for me too, I guess you should RMA your monitor.

It does seem like RMA time :( At least its good to i know the monitor can be ghost free as i love everything else about it.

Soldato
OP
Ive been talking to the Asus UK contact and after pointing him in the direction of this thread he said this.

Asus said:
Dear xxxx

This situation has been acknowledged by our Head Office and a solution is being sorted. Do RMA the unit and by the time we get it here we will have the solution prepared already.

Regards,

Asus said:
Dear xxxx

In order to ensure that the new unit is not in the same condition we will collect your unit, do the update that solves the problem, and ship it back to you. The whole procedure should not take more than 3 to 5 working days.

Regards,

Sounds promising :)

Soldato
OP
Nogimmix said:
Good bit of customer service. :)

Yeah, im guessing its this firmware update ive read about. Maybe yours already has it.

Id rather have my asus working than another Manufacture the picture and frame really look the business :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Shaddow said:
The manual says that 1680x1050 should be at 60hz.

I have NO ghosting whatsoever in Games (Mainly play 2142)

Excellent screen. (I used to have 2 x 19" Viewsonic 912's)

P.S that file seems to be corrupt.

Yeah, i took the vid with fraps and it seems you will need to install it too.

Soldato
OP
Ive been issued with an RMA Number today and been told to rind a number to arrange collection.

They provide an RMA Number mine is GKxxxxxxx, I ring up the number and they are a company called CRC who do the repairs for Asus. The problem is they say all numbers must start GCxxxxxxx :confused:

Waiting on a response from the Asus guy again..

Soldato
OP
After re-reading the email ... further down it seems that Asus has actually booked the collection from me for tomorrow to be delivered directly to Asus HQ and not to CRC and then re-colection from them for Friday. Its a very confusing email the first paragraph tells you to ring CRC and arrange your collection. I think its a standard email and he should have erased the top part.

Soldato
OP
IT Troll said:
Yes I got the same email. Mine is being picked up tomorrow too. My screen has got noise/shadowing on the desktop but I suspect they will just apply the same "fix" to all all screens. It will be interesting to see what the results are...

Yeah it will be interesting .. yours seems to have something else wrong to mine though, maybe they will replace yours.

I got another email from Asus and he said he should have deleted the top half of the email.

The only thing im wondering now is whether to send the whole package back or just the screen. I recently RMA'd an Asus motherboard and only got the actual board back with non of the components :mad:

Back
Top Bottom