Asus P5Q-E (P45) Motherboard Review

I'm thinking of getting this motherboard to overclock my Q6600 G0 on.

So far I've had no luck with my Bad Axe 2, and I have tried two different Q6600s in it.

Can someone put my mind to rest, and tell me that this is a good motherboard, with some decent overclocking headroom?

At £100 it seems too good to be true.

Its a good motherboard - plenty of OC headroom for quads. The p45 chipset rivals some of the extreme gaming boards for overclocking, and im sure you will not be disappointed if you pair it with a quad.

Its a good motherboard - plenty of OC headroom for quads. The p45 chipset rivals some of the extreme gaming boards for overclocking, and im sure you will not be disappointed if you pair it with a quad.

One more question. If I put a new motherboard in my system, I have to reinstall windows, right?

If that's the case I'll have to wait until I buy some NAS so I can back everything up.

Hmmmm well you're technically breaking the terms and conditions of OEM Windows by transfering it to another motherboard (you're only 'allowed' to do so if the original motherboard is faulty). There are ofcourse ways around it, tho personally I'm not going to discus them here.

Cobs right - activating windows could be tricky if its an OEM copy. If you want to stay nice and legal you will have to either buy a new OEM license or get the reatil copy.

wifi - splashtop

Right question 1 of my new build

I have a Wifi Belkin Card which works ok in windows but Im not sure how to make it work in Splashtop for quick web access - the network/wifi setup option is greyed out within splashtop

Last edited:
quick oc update

Just overclocked my q6600 to 3200mhz - just downloading prime95 to test

SpeedFan Reports:
System 35C
CPU 16C
AUX 22C
Core 0 - 43C
Core 1 - 40C
Core 2 - 36C
Core 3 - 33C

Looking good so far - vcore is @ 1.408 (might see how far I can push this later)

Well happy as the thermal paste has been on less than 6 hours so should see a couple of degrees drop yet.

To update express gate you just download an exe from the ASUS site and click? couldn't be easier. I did try it myself although the updater informed me I had the latest version.

Not sure what to suggest about a Wifi card not working in Express gate though?

My next thought is why are you using Express gate? :D

jennidc, try IntelBurnTest for stability testing, forget Prime95. Prime takes many hours, whereas IntelBurnTest takes minutes and pushes the system harder.

Back
Top Bottom