Asus P5Q-E (P45) Motherboard Review

Just checked city links website and theyre delivering all my stuff today! Processor arrived yesterday, still waiting on graphics card and I havent ordered my tuniq yet so not sure if I will put it together today.

my 2p on the OEM windows thing...

I had an OEM copy of XP Pro on an oldish PC which decided not to work anymore. I wasnt aware of the OEM licensing issue from one MB to another. So I preceeded to install it onto a second hand laptop. I entered the key that had come with the PC and it went in fine. when it asked to authenticate it failed.
So, I rang Microsoft, the number that the authentication had given. explained my situation and they gave me a good code to enter.

Now its all working fine and authenticated!

They never mentioned anything about licensing, asked a few questions about the original pc and the laptop and then they just gave me the code

an for the record.. I now have a lovely P5Q-E, Q6600, HD4870, 4Gb Raptor 8500, 2 x 500Gb Seagate and 4 x 750Gb Samsung all in a lovely Cosmos 1000..

Just got to get it all working now!
Does anyone know if you can get an SATA DVDRW to work off the SIL ports?

MS Activation

I forgot to activate my Vista 64 OEM build after installing the wifi card yesterday - so earlier on today my activation time ran out and I had to go through the process of phoning MS and them texting me the activation code (the web based validation would not work for some bizarre reason??)

At least it all went smoothly. :)

Just overclocked my q6600 to 3200mhz - just downloading prime95 to test

SpeedFan Reports:
System 35C
CPU 16C
AUX 22C
Core 0 - 43C
Core 1 - 40C
Core 2 - 36C
Core 3 - 33C

Looking good so far - vcore is @ 1.408 (might see how far I can push this later)

Well happy as the thermal paste has been on less than 6 hours so should see a couple of degrees drop yet.

Please could you list the settings you used to achieve this? Thanks :)

Hi

I've gone back to stock for now just whilst I run some 8450 overclocks on my graphics card - but I have the OC profile saved so will have a look later on.

The settings I used were the same as those mentioned on the previous page
except the multiplier is 8 and the FSB is 400. Although for some reason my RAM was not @ 1:1 - so I'll have to spend some more time adjusting it. I also managed to knock the voltage back to 1.35 which Im a lot happier with.

The RAM was displaying as 5:6 - but was running ok and Prime stable.

I have a feeling if I knock the RAM down to 800mhz everything will work ok.

Also with a new BIOS out I may update to that and have to retest everything.

I must say that even for non overclockers I'm amazed at how well the processor runs at stock. My old Am2 4800x2 was overclocked to 2.7ghz but never ran as well as my q6600 @ stock - the multitasking is amazing - I was downloading steam updates, playing STALKER and monitering temps with Speedfan without any concievable slowdown. For a £99 CPU it is just
unbeatable.

SATA problems here.. some help would be appreciated.

I have posted else where on the forum with issues i am having, but think this could be the best place.

my kit:
P5Q-E
4x 750Gb Samsung
2x 500Gb Seagate
1x Liteon DVD-RW

my plan was to have the 4 drives for media storage in RAID 5 on the main Intel controller along with the second 2 drives in RAID 0. finally the DVD on the second controller.

but after finding out(now i have the board), that the second controller cannot take anything other than Hard Drives. I have had to put the 2 500Gb drives on the SIL controller and the DVD on the same controller as the RAID.

at this point I have two problems:
1. when I put the controller into RAID mode I do not see anything at boot time mentioning the CTRL-I RAID setup. I was also wondering.. do I need a PS2 keyboard to get to this screen? I only have a USB.
2. when I get in to vista 64, if the controller is in AHCI mode the driver used for the DVD is Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller. but when the controller is set to RAID the driver changes to Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID Controller, but has a status code of 10 "This Device cannot start", and the DVD is no longer visible.

so its a case of, I either have the DVD enabled or I have the RAID enabled!

Ive been trying to set this up for a few days so far and seem to be getting no where. does anyone have any suggestions?

What motherboard temps are you guys getting?

I have a Q6600 running at stock with everything set to auto and I'm getting 45c from CPUID Hardware Monitor and Asus Probe.

Is this a bit high?

Was on 1206 now on 1306 BIOS.

At stock I'm getting 35c/33c/32c/34c across the 4 cores.

Looks like I managed to install my TRUE level this time.

Edit: Computer was idle when temps taken.

Last edited:
Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me some tips with overclocking on the P5Q Deluxe with a Q6600 and 8GB (4 x 2GB) Corsair DDR2-800 RAM.

I started off with doing what Cob said and setting various voltage settings to manual and 1 higher than the lowest setting, and the CPU voltage to match the VID value. Without adjusting any voltages at all after that, I was able to take it up to 333x9 (3GHz) stable. 3.2GHz required upping CPU voltage to 1.3v (ish) and 3.4GHz required around 1.35v.

I don't have very high aims with this, I just want a nice round figure of 400x9 (3.6GHz) with RAM at the standard DDR2-800 1.8v.

Are there any settings (other than CPU voltage) I should be looking to change now as the CPU voltage increments are getting steeper to get the next overclock?

I also set performance level to 8 after reading a recommendation somewhere - no idea what it does (as with most of the settings).

Build Pictures

I've finally got around to uploading my build pics...so here goes:

2808772642_94d7e73f2f_m.jpg

2807925029_897fa5c2ce_m.jpg

2808778456_1911d8aa43_m.jpg

2808781296_9f7a2b5bbd_m.jpg

2807933599_beff4ef993_m.jpg

2807936779_024c0cfb0c.jpg

Hopefully ths works - Im a flickr newb :D

Edit * it didn't work first ime but after a bit of copying and pasting - sorted

I will be back with finished pics in a sec

Last edited:
Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me some tips with overclocking on the P5Q Deluxe with a Q6600 and 8GB (4 x 2GB) Corsair DDR2-800 RAM.

I started off with doing what Cob said and setting various voltage settings to manual and 1 higher than the lowest setting, and the CPU voltage to match the VID value. Without adjusting any voltages at all after that, I was able to take it up to 333x9 (3GHz) stable. 3.2GHz required upping CPU voltage to 1.3v (ish) and 3.4GHz required around 1.35v.

I don't have very high aims with this, I just want a nice round figure of 400x9 (3.6GHz) with RAM at the standard DDR2-800 1.8v.

Are there any settings (other than CPU voltage) I should be looking to change now as the CPU voltage increments are getting steeper to get the next overclock?

I also set performance level to 8 after reading a recommendation somewhere - no idea what it does (as with most of the settings).

It's normal to need bigger CPU voltage steps as you get higher. Tho adding 0.02v to PLL and FSB term may help.

Over and above the 0.02v I added to them to take them off the lowest setting?

I'm not sure of the exact voltages they are at now as I'm work - will check later tonight.

Also I'm using the latest BIOS I believe.

Here are my completed build pics:

2808845962_82e8b567d3_m.jpg
Hey jennidc,

thanks for sharing the pics although I would like to see them in a slightly bigger size (750 pixels wide works well), thats a serious mini tower you put together there! :)

I'm thinking maybe you should post some bigger *build* pictures in the Antec 300 thread, it's always helpful for someone thinking of using that chassis to see people's pics who are already using it! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom