Asus P5W DH Deluxe - doesn't support Conroe out of box?

Soldato
All this talk about the P5W DHs not supporting Conroe and OcUK are to blame is just wrong.

The P5W DH does support Conroe. You can see that. OcUK have just met our needs for stocking, probably the best Conroe mobo out there. They get the boards from Asus, do they not? Problem with the wrong bios's that have been shipped out is to do with Asus not OcUK :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was thinking that, it would come up with a cpu error or what not, allowing you to boot the system but not get aby further than the post screen. Hopefully if people do get the earlier boards with the 'unsporting' bios then then can boot the system up with thier Conroe and flash the bios.

It is also a good point out that, all Conroe's used are sample ES's. Once the boxed retail ones are out then we will see if the problem still occurs with the early P5W DH boards.

Soldato
Bennah said:
All this talk about the P5W DHs not supporting Conroe and OcUK are to blame is just wrong.

I dont blame OCUK, they were just passing on info supplied by Asus

Bennah said:
Anyway, I was thinking that, it would come up with a cpu error or what not, allowing you to boot the system but not get aby further than the post screen. Hopefully if people do get the earlier boards with the 'unsporting' bios then then can boot the system up with thier Conroe and flash the bios.

Thats what I am hopeing for :)

Bennah said:
It is also a good point out that, all Conroe's used are sample ES's. Once the boxed retail ones are out then we will see if the problem still occurs with the early P5W DH boards.

with any luck, the retail ones should be ok :)

Soldato
You can't hold OCUK responsible for what BIOS the board ships with.
Even if ASUS do say the board is "Conroe ready" is Conroe ready yet?

IIRC something similar happened when AMD released winchester chips with ASUS and ABIT.
There wasn't a work round for the ABIT, but there was with the ASUS with the mem in a single slot using the ALT + F2 method.

If the retail chip won't allow boot with the shipping BIOS then I suppose a few people are going to be stuck, but lets wait and see when the actual retail Conroe is released.
It's at times like this that forums come into there own finding solutions.

Soldato
I know it does support Conroe. Where did I say it did'nt?

Im saying, to those people who say that it does'nt because its shipped with the wrong bios with the earlier boards is wrong. Also people blaming OcUK too for selling them something thats not Conroe supportive either is wrong. It does support Conroe but needs a new bios thats all.

Associate
Bennah said:

The P5W DH does support Conroe. You can see that. OcUK have just met our needs for stocking, probably the best Conroe mobo out there. They get the boards from Asus, do they not? Problem with the wrong bios's that have been shipped out is to do with Asus not OcUK :rolleyes:

I share exactly the same opinion, as I expressed earlier in post 19. Of course your contract is with OcUK, but that doesn't make them the culprits and it certainly doesn't mean Asus can sit there like an innocent party. Asus is to blame, not OcUK. Again, I say go and moan at Asus if anything is wrong, it's not OcUK's fault.

I'm glad OcUK are stocking the board because it is a strong candidate for my new rig coming up, I appreciate that.

Soldato
Just gone one of these boards this morning, it even says on the box it supports conroe.

Of course I can't test it as I have no Conroe chip to put in it yet :p

Associate
Rumour has it that the 0401 (the bios with which this board is most commonly shipping with) does support retail Conroes. However, this is simply rumour at this point.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the bios not to support the ES chips and Asus are under no obligation to. :o

Soldato
Kesnel said:
Rumour has it that the 0401 (the bios with which this board is most commonly shipping with) does support retail Conroes. However, this is simply rumour at this point.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the bios not to support the ES chips and Asus are under no obligation to. :o

Yea, was thinking along the same lines too matey.

However, Im sure Asus would have got some ES samples from Intel to use whilst testing the board before shipping them out. Who knows what went on.

Asus could well just be flashing them with 'supported' bios's now.

Time will tell when there are retail Conroe's to play with :)

Soldato
If the board will power up with a conroe in but give you an error message, would be great. At least then you could flash it without the need for another cpu. Can anyone confirm this can be done?

I would like this board, but I dont know anyone with a intel cpu or a shop that could lend me one either. Sending the bios chip to ASUS would just be a headache too.

Soldato
Jimbo said:
If the board will power up with a conroe in but give you an error message, would be great. At least then you could flash it without the need for another cpu. Can anyone confirm this can be done?

I would like this board, but I dont know anyone with a intel cpu or a shop that could lend me one either. Sending the bios chip to ASUS would just be a headache too.

Devious is going to try ths when he gets his replacement :)

Back
Top Bottom