Asus P5W DH Deluxe - doesn't support Conroe out of box?

Definatly doesnt sound too bad waiting for conroe to sink in...

Mind u I know what will happen ill wait and then come towards end of this year it will be all about dual dual core chips :p

I've seen someone who's Conroe worked fine on the shipped BIOS and it was a different revision to the ES chips that everyone seems to have so it would appear that it's just the ES chips these boards are having trouble with.

Of course, it's all speculation until the retail chips are released.

shodan said:
How long do you think before Asus start shipping these boards with the bios already updated?

The next batches have the 0502 bios which, according to asus's site was the bios to support core 2's but someone on XS forums has just said he cant post with this either. :confused:

Devious said:
The next batches have the 0502 bios which, according to asus's site was the bios to support core 2's but someone on XS forums has just said he cant post with this either. :confused:

Maybe it's because it's an ES chip. What kind of things differ between ES and normal chips?

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but does anyone know if the swiftech Storm cpu block will fit this mobo, like is it the same fitting as 939

I have the swiftech apogee and was wondering this before I bought my conroe, turns out it was compatible with all the screws for the 775 socket. You need to remove the motherboard to change any screws but once the motherboard is in place the block much easier to mount compared to the 939 which did my head in.

Not sure whether the storm has the same hole configuration and supplied screws but I am interested as i have been looking to buy one.

Thanks for that , i am not up on intel boards but i have had a root around in my storm box and i found a packet with Storm common Harware socket 462,478,775,603/604 so i guess i would be in business , btw i changed from Apogee to storm and i didnt really notice any difference tbh , defo not worth the extra in my opinion

btw, back on topic there is one supplier who i have contacted that will flash this board to the latest bios for a fee of £20 , which is in my opinion still a joke but at least they are offering the service i suppose

Damn £20 brings this board to about 200! I have never bought a MB that was more than 100 before this :eek:

Anyone know what the waiting time is on the BIOS chips or how easily they are to swap over? Do you just remove the old chip from a holder and replace it with the new one? (ie no soldering?)

Last edited:
all bios chips use a little socket. It is quite easy to remove if you have a tool for it. A pair of tweezers would probably do it or needle nose pliers. Just be careful because you can bend and twist the contacts if you don't take it out evenly.

As far as i know, you just lift the chip out and gently and evenly push the new bios chip in. I also cant believe how many people are complaining about this board and the fact that it doesnt support conroe instantly, even though ti says it does do. Please bare in mind that MOST of the people who have tried the conroe are using ES chips and NOT retail.Asus should have made a better bios, but knowing Asus they will get it right soon, they are just too big a company to let down all its massive customer database. Lets hope these retail conroes work without too much hassle.

Back
Top Bottom