Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Loss of USB Power

Associate
It seems that the board has a problem with an old Logitech mouse of mine. Plugged in my newer cordless mouse and the problem seems to have stopped, at least for the last day. Next step will be to plug in every USB device I can lay my hands on to make sure it really is the (perfectly good and works fine on a dozen other computers) mouse.

I'm getting very close to the point at which I won't be able to send this board back and I'd rather not pull the computer appart to send it back if the problem is fixable.

Soldato
I only have newer USB devices which work fine so im not willing to change them in the hope the mobo will work.

I use a G15 rev 2 keyboard and a g500 mouse. I also have a roccat headset which is USB powered.

Associate
OP
My system has been fine for days with one sick of RAM, well as far as I know it has problem is so damn random and no guarranteed way to reproduce it.

I got a reply from Asus with a few things to try:-

In this situation, I suggest you to take the motherboard out of case and keep the necessary components onboard. Then try the devices on the USB port of the back panel.

If it is not helpful, maybe you could download the latest chipset driver from the following page:
http://support.asus.com/Download.as...indows.zip#Intel_Chipset_V9201021_Windows.zip

If it still exists, please erase the cmos to load default settings and try again.

If the problem remains, please connect another devices to it to see if it works.

The only thing I have not tried is taking the mobo our the case.

Soldato
I just got a new smartphone today Sony Xperia Neo V,plugged it into my front USB 3.0 bay and it got detected by Win7 and installed drivers fine on my V/GEN3 board so I can transfer files.

I'm very happy since all my USB devices work fine and I have quite a a lot including Leadtek USB DTV dongle,7 port external USB 2.0 hub,USB Razer Deathadder mouse,USB Saitek keyboard,USB Canon printer ip4500, external USB Lite-On burner,3x USB flash drives(from 256mb to 4GB) ,USB bluetooth(which is I disabled since using onboard Asus one) and few more USB things.

I hope you guys get yours sorted,just glad mine is running sweet.

:)

Associate
OP
Hi,

I've picked up some Corsair Vengeance 8GB (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8) which I ave now put into the system that was having USB issues, this RAM is on the QVL for the motherboard.

I cleared the CMOS and re-configured the BIOS settngs (disabling marvell controller) and set the RAM to use the XMP profile. PC seemed fine until my other half started to play Rift tonight on it then the game kept crashing and eventually the system BSOD.

I ran the windows memory checker which indicated an problem, I went into the BIOS and re-loaded the optimised defaults and left the RAM set to AUTO with only one stick present. PC has ran fine with one stick in the first RAM slot (closest to CPU).

I have a second set of the same RAM in my other system which appears to be working fine using the XMP profile. I'm going to pop this out and try the other set in my other PC and see if the RAM is fine in my system.

If it is fine am I right in thinking either the mobo or CPU is at fault?

Associate
OP
Looks like the issue with my USB power loss was down to the XMS3 RAM, since swapping the ram out for Vengence RAM from the QVL I've not had any further issues.

Soldato
Looks like the issue with my USB power loss was down to the XMS3 RAM, since swapping the ram out for Vengence RAM from the QVL I've not had any further issues.

At least Stulid can't blame Asus for this one ;) ,thanks for keeping us posted,also double boot is easy fixed by setting "keep current" in Bios under boot menu and then "Option Rom messages".

Soldato
so just put my kingston hyper x back in my machine (after trying a friends corsair vengence)

and my USB 3 controller is back !!

not sure for how long but it does seem this could be memory related.

Very strange.

this is the item in device manager that keeps disappearing for me.

usb3.jpg

Soldato
PC has been on all night despite my shocking internet connection and multiple reboots after fitting different RAM it making no difference and then refitting my RAM my USB3 controller now seems to be a permanent feature of my board lol.

how Bizarre!

Soldato
New bios out for these guys. 0402

I think they officially added ivybridge support but cant hurt to update see if it fixes problems.

Mine has stayed fixed btw

Associate
OP
Mine with the USB issue also seems to have remained fixed since changing the RAM.

Have updated the BIOS on the system that had issues originally this morning, will do the other later.

Associate
I had this problem and went into Window 7 Control Panel/System/Device Manager and under the USB Hubs, if you right-click on them then choose Properties/Power Management, there is the option to turn on or off power saving.
I unticked mine and have not had any problems since

Associate
OP
Is this a common problem with these boards?? Very worrying as i have just ordered one for my 2500k build!
Ram i have on order for it is 2x4gb of corsair vengeance.

I've not had the issue since swapping from the XMS3 RAM to the Vengence kit, both PC have now had the BIOS updated and both seem very stable.

Permabanned
So whats the beef then with this GEN3? Im a bit worried about the memory related posts and the fact only 2 8GB kits are on the QVL... I have 2x8GB kits of Ripjaws C8 which no doubt will fail knowing my luck...

Interesting about the powersaving though! it sounds like its powersaving kicking in when losing USB ports, but would that explain is to disspear under device list?

Not sure what to do at all..

Soldato
I had this problem and went into Window 7 Control Panel/System/Device Manager and under the USB Hubs, if you right-click on them then choose Properties/Power Management, there is the option to turn on or off power saving.
I unticked mine and have not had any problems since

Ive just done this as my front usb's are loosing power on my GA-Z68XP-UD4 board after about 1-2days of system being booted... I hope this fixes it.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18353471

Back
Top Bottom