Asus Prime X370-Pro Owner's thread

Associate
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone experience the blackscreen issue where monitor goes black / PC fans still spinning / doesnt respond with power button (hold for 4 seconds) or reset button / so only option left to power off at back of PSU switch or pull out plug.

I had this sometimes when I was testing some overclocking during stress test so can relate this to not enough CPU vcore, however I last experience this during light load (watching youtube) not stressful situation. I have read this could be caused by monitoring tools like hwinfo64 or similar. I did disable the PCH monitoring inside hwinfo64 which warned me when I first open this tool but issue still occurred. At the time I had this tool open all the time because I want to monitor max temps.

I am curious if anyone is using hwinfo64 (or similar) open 24/7 all the time and NOT experience this issue.

For now I have closed hwinfo64 and do not have it open and have not experienced this issue so far, although I did also need to make a small increment to my CPU vcore which came to known during heavy stress test Prime95 custom blend test (using 14GB memory), so Im not sure if this issue occurs because of the monitoring tool or CPU vcore.

I am using the latest Bios 0805.

I habee

Associate
No, when it crashes it goes to a black screen and PC is still running with all the lights on and everything. Just no screen. It's very random, but apparently some were saying that HWinfo or AI Suite could be causing that somehow. No idea.

It's been pretty stable without crashing too often, so the fan is what gets me the most. I used my setup for a week and had no issues, and then it randomly all started crashing and going to 100% fan speed. Nothing changed that I know of in that time.

I am experiencing exactly the same issue, without my monitor programs running. I am running latest bios.

Also read about at least another person with same motherboard having this issue.

Any ideas? Could it be simple incompatibility issues with Windows energy saving controls? Pci, hibernation or similar, wake on lan etc?

Associate
I had black screen issues before and it was because the vcore was too low for my overclock. Stressing or not.

I believe I am running everything auto/default right now, not overclocking.

Haven't done a clean Windows 10 install yet since this new motherboard and cpu though ;) (1600X)

Not sure about the >1GB chipset file on Asus support, perhaps worth trying even if I bought this motherboard recently.

Only experienced this during several hours idle (not touching computer).

Permabanned
hmm I dont think I ever had the issue at stock! I also thought HWInfo was causing issues at one point but never really nailed it down.

All the monitoring apps updated to latest versions?

Swapped boards now though.

Associate
A user on OC forum also suggested blackscreen issue while idle can be caused by CPU-Z. Did you have that open?

Installed but not open. I had no monitor software running I believe (but several ones installed).

Update: Now machine was idling 4 hours without this issue.

So far I have only played with my energy saving options, disabling hibernation, and the PCI Express option.

Not sure yet if this helped. Will soon leave computer for 3-4 more hours.

At least another guy in Sweden having this issue on Sweclockers forum, I believe he is running stock as well.

I have tried a couple of overclocking scenarios but running stock the last days. Not sure if it is worth overclocking the X models anyway?? XFR etc gets disabled during overclock. I actually got worse cpu benchmark during overclock comparing to not overclocking. Perhaps XFR is more powerful than i initially thought? If overclocking a X model maybe you need to go really high, otherwise it is not worth it? Depending on what you are running though, you should still earn on multi core performance but XFR really powerful on single and dual core scenarios?

Last edited:
Associate
I am experiencing exactly the same issue, without my monitor programs running. I am running latest bios.

Also read about at least another person with same motherboard having this issue.

Any ideas? Could it be simple incompatibility issues with Windows energy saving controls? Pci, hibernation or similar, wake on lan etc?

Try the chipset drivers from here: http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/chipsets/am4

It installs a custom Ryzen power plan

Last edited:
Associate
The blackscreen during idle I only experienced 2 times in last 2 weeks (since I got the motherboard).

1st time:
Bios 0805 - I had CPU overclock + RAM tight timings + monitoring tools open

2nd time:
Bios 0807 - I had CPU at stock + RAM tight timings + monitoring tools open

I have not experienced issue so far on Bios 0810 (6 days) - I currently got CPU overclock + RAM tight timings. I use windows high performance power profile.

I did get blackscreens when stress testing CPU overclocking but that made sense as I can relate that to not enough CPU vcore.

Associate
AMD chipset drivers and use Ryzen Balanced Power plan, can individually tweak that.

Looking promising :) now leaving computer running a couple of hours.

Also I am reading that people have got the black screen with computer and fans still running scenario when not leaving the computer idling for hours too. Thus maybe my crash didn't have anything to do at all with the energy saving configuration after all, not sure yet.

Soldato
The blackscreen during idle I only experienced 2 times in last 2 weeks (since I got the motherboard).

1st time:
Bios 0805 - I had CPU overclock + RAM tight timings + monitoring tools open

2nd time:
Bios 0807 - I had CPU at stock + RAM tight timings + monitoring tools open

I have not experienced issue so far on Bios 0810 (6 days) - I currently got CPU overclock + RAM tight timings. I use windows high performance power profile.

I did get blackscreens when stress testing CPU overclocking but that made sense as I can relate that to not enough CPU vcore.

Black screen during idle you say eh? I never saw this issue. But last weekend I installed my new 1080 and upgraded to the 0810 bios. Also bought a new monitor.

I decided to do some oc'ing on the cpu and during stress test if I left the PC idle for a few mins screen goes black and wouldn't wake up. Also the fanstop light was turn off on the GPU. I was worried it was a dodgy 1080. Then I guessed it might of been the monitor. I've turned the power save mode off on this now as it is know issue.

Now it sounds like it could have been the bios?

Fortunately doesn't happen if I leave things at stock.

Last edited:
Associate
Black screen during idle you say eh? I never saw this issue. But last weekend I installed my new 1080 and upgraded to the 0810 bios. also bought a new monitor.

I decided to do some oc'ing on the cpu and during stress test if I left the PC idle for a few mins screen goes black and wouldn't wake up. Also the fanstop light was turn off on the GPU. I was worried it was a dodgy 1080. then I guessed it might of been the monitor. I've turned the power save mode off on this.

Now it sounds like the bios?

Fortunately doesn't happen if I leave things at stock.

I mean idle during light load like browsing websites ... not under cpu heavy load / stress testing. If you get blackscreen during cpu stress test this usually mean not enough cpu vcore from my experience.

Soldato
I mean idle during light load like browsing websites ... not under cpu heavy load / stress testing. If you get blackscreen during cpu stress test this usually mean not enough cpu vcore from my experience.

There is definitely some issue as even at ideal (no ocing) I am seeing an issue where my GPU losses signal to the monitor. This issue tho has only started since I flashed the latest 0810 bios.

(New GPU and new monitor tho)

Back
Top Bottom