• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ASUS RMA.

Associate
Antony101, be careful.

My GTX460 worked perfectly in 3 other machines, but would not work properly in my own. I substituted every component in my machine apart from the motherboard. Swapping RAM, PSU, CPU, OS (tried Win 7 and XP clean installs), SSD, HDD did not solve the issue. The only common factor was the motherboard. I RMA'd the MB back to Gigabyte, it was returned to me (without a testing fee. which may have been a clue that the knew what was going on) "no fault found". I then RMA'd my GTX460 with my MB, they quickly discovered that the graphics card was at fault. It was swapped and returned to me. I tested the replacement card in my temparary motherboard, and it did not fire up. It did work properly with my original MB. When I upgraded to a Gigabyte Z77 board earlier this year, the replacement GTX460 would not fire up. It was RMA'd again, and was repaired by Gigabyte. It now works perfectly, at last. My first and last Nvidia card for many years !

Thank heavens both the MB and graphics card were made by Gigabyte. Had the MB been any other brand, I could still be trying to solve the issue !

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I may have to get myself an MSI board but have no idea how they stand regarding customer service and returns. I'm okay buying another motherboard but need to know it will work if I do. However, if I bought a motherboard and tested the GPU and it still didn't work I'd be distraught.

Soldato
OP
Okay, can I request a mod maybe move this to General Hardware as I wasn't originally planning on getting repair advise but some would be nice at this point.

I've managed to get some videos up of the issue as the card has just been returned to me.

Here is a video showing the PC booting with a single ASUS GTX 560TI:

And here is a video showing the PC "booting" with a single MSI GTX 670:

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
it's pretty obvious that this is an extremely complex issue. I've seen something similar in the past caused by a specific combination of mobo and PSU. (totally different mobo and PSU that you have, expert fault finding discovered that the PSU was initialising rails too slowly, it took a LONG time to find ths out)

The graphics card could exhibit this behaviour if the PCI-Express power rail initialises late.

Is this a new build? All new components? if not when did the problem appear?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The only new part is the GTX 670, and as said above I have had the 670 running under 100% load before. I'm baffled by what the issue could be but don't have another PSU to test. I own a P5Q, Q6600 and some XMS2 RAM I could try with the same PSU.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
did the issue just appear or was there a driver/bios update beforehand?

We are introducing new fully win 8 certified UEFI BIOS' at the moment but we have been warned that there could be some strange compatibility issues with VGA cards, Asus may be doing similar.

I may be able to provide a new Win 8 certified UEFI BIOS for the VGA card but before doing so I'd like to be a little more sure about the cause of the situation.

You may wish to try the other MB/CPU etc. if only to narrow down a cause.

Caporegime
Okay, can I request a mod maybe move this to General Hardware as I wasn't originally planning on getting repair advise but some would be nice at this point.

I've managed to get some videos up of the issue as the card has just been returned to me.

Here is a video showing the PC booting with a single ASUS GTX 560TI:

And here is a video showing the PC "booting" with a single MSI GTX 670:

You got a Windows "something is not right" warning 'bing' with the GTX 670.

Its a shame you can't see what that is.

the only thing i can add to this is Reset CMOS, actually take the battery out for 5 or 10 minutes to be sure to clear it completely.

Soldato
OP
You got a Windows "something is not right" warning 'bing' with the GTX 670.

Its a shame you can't see what that is.

the only thing i can add to this is Reset CMOS, actually take the battery out for 5 or 10 minutes to be sure to clear it completely.

I've tried that it did nothing. I'm now running the GTX 670 in my system with my Q6600, P5Q and XMS2 RAM.

This means it is either my CPU, RAM or Motherboard causing the issue.

Associate
I wouldn't worry so much in that you're not alone, thousands of people are having this problem - which is why the green light was put in place.

Doing a quick search brings up the first links from thousands of potential results

I would send it back to msi if OCUK don`t except it - This problem is usually caused by a combination of hardware, i would try disconnecting stuff and change cables around first etc (Re-seat everything).

Back
Top Bottom