Asus T100 owners thread

Soldato
I really don't like the screens on these, as my brief time with a Latitude 10 proved*. But I also don't like paying for Android/iOS tablets which cramp my application style. So the price on this is very attractive and if the Dell Venue Pro 11 proves to be more expensive than I expect, I may fall back to buying this.

However this is probably a good time to be patient. This new generation of Atom chips, and the realisation that there is a market for Windows tablets at the right price (and without RT!) seems to be generating some interesting products at last!

*I'd rather have a 4:3 screen I can use comfortably in portrait mode. At least the 1080p screen on the Venue Pro 11 should make portrait mode feel less cramped even if the ratio's not really any better.

Associate
I picked mine up last week - didn't think the dock felt cheap (keyboard good, touchpad clicks down a little too far, like the soft touch plastic on the back) but the back of the tablet in gloss plastic is a bit annoying - should use the same coating as the back of the dock IMO.

Agree on 4:3 being more comfortable for tablets though, shame Windows and Android seem to favour 16:9 as its about the only thing I like about iPads. The T100 is quite a nice cheap, small, laptop and a REASONABLE tablet.

Performance is really good, can even manage a bit of gaming on it. Got a whole bunch of videos up on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/user/BrueComputing/videos

It's no gaming powerhouse, but FAR better than older Atoms.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am going to pickup football manager this weekend and see how that fairs on this little device. Hoping it works ok.

Anyone finding that sometimes you have trouble switching the device on/bringing it out of sleep? I find that in the morning I have to hold the on button for 15 seconds (which I assume is switching it off) and then hold it again which cold boots the device?

Associate
Picking one of these up later today. Glad to see there is already an owner thread.

Was hoping the Dell was going to be cheaper, but as this works out at almost half the price it was a no brainer for me really.

Got a 64gb card on order too

Soldato
Are these available in the usual high-street shops? Literally off into town now, was going to have a look at the HP Chromebook, but if I can pick one of these up easily it might sway me!

Soldato
These look rather interesting. I need a notebook of some sort within the next few weeks to use while I'm away over Christmas, been looking at an Asus S200e for about £330 but one of these would be quite good as I'd be able to use it as a tablet for movies etc while I'm travelling.

Anyone able to talk more about the performance aspect? I had an Atom-based Acer netbook quite a few years back and found it terribly lethargic. Obviously I won't be expecting amazing performance but it needs to be able to deal with the usual stuff (web browsing, media etc) without feeling slow. Storage isn't really a concern as I'll have most of my stuff on a Passport drive, but some indication of what the onboard storage performance is like would be useful too.

Associate
Its reasonably quick - the eMMC as opposed to the slow mechanical drives in a lot of cheap laptops make it pretty responsive.

Its an absolute world away from the old Atom chips, in some tests I've run its almost twice as fast in CPU tests and graphics is miles ahead in speed and compatibility.

Associate
I've got this running AutoCAD 2013 into a 1080p monitor, runs perfectly once dynamic input is turned off. So decided I'm going to use this as my only pc for a while (not counting my work PC), I don't game and when at home the most demanding program i use is CAD, so with a larger screen to hook up to, all my needs are met. Just need to get a new bigger screen now, once i've sold my other two laptops, pc and an ipad, as this is replacing all of them.

Mounted a 64gb SD card to install programs onto, so i've now got plenty of space, though i'm a little disappointed that the 64gb version doesn't seem to be for sale in the UK anywhere, as i'd have preferred the extra capacity.

I don't have any issues with the keyboard and dock, for the cost of the laptop I think they're above the quality i'd expect, it's better than any netbook i've used previously, obviously a £1500 laptop is going to feel a little nicer, but that said it works and feels fine.

Anyone bought any protective cases/sleeves/bags for this yet? I picked up a Crumpler Gimp Moses in 10" for £3 off ebay, it would be perfect if only it was a little smaller and thinner.

Installed Bluestack last night to give that a try, then realised that i didn't actually want any android apps. Gave it a go anyway and installed candy crush, which played fine, only gripe really is that to select things I still had to double click the screen which just doesn't work well, not sure if there is away around this other than to use a mouse. Swiping however worked fine for game play. Think i'll probably uninstall it though.

Associate
How good are these at playing back HD video? Im looking to replace an old netbook and want to be able to playback the following as a minimum:

1) 1080p Youtube videos
2) 2-5 mb/s video streams (Flash, sliverlight, Iplayer, Sky Go etc)
3) .mts files from dslr (similar to blu ray bitrates)

Im mainly looking at laptops but the portability of a tablet also appeals hence the interest in this.

Associate
How good are these at playing back HD video? Im looking to replace an old netbook and want to be able to playback the following as a minimum:

1) 1080p Youtube videos
2) 2-5 mb/s video streams (Flash, sliverlight, Iplayer, Sky Go etc)
3) .mts files from dslr (similar to blu ray bitrates)

Im mainly looking at laptops but the portability of a tablet also appeals hence the interest in this.

Fine. It has the same video decode engine as Ivy Bridge I believe.

Soldato
These look pretty good tbh, how much space is free from the 32gb for programs etc? I already have a 64gb microsd, are they fast enough to play games from etc? what about the dock sd slot also as I also have a class 10 64gb SD card should be more than enough storage space really

Associate
These look pretty good tbh, how much space is free from the 32gb for programs etc? I already have a 64gb microsd, are they fast enough to play games from etc? what about the dock sd slot also as I also have a class 10 64gb SD card should be more than enough storage space really

Out of the box 14GB free on the 32GB, 34GB free on the 64GB (increases to 42GB if you remove the recovery partition, which isn't on the 32GB). That's before installing Office 2013.

Associate
Any sign of a 64gb version appearing in UK yet?

Very interested in this, had a quick play with one yesterday and it seemed ideal for what I need. (I sold my laptop with a bit of regret and am currently using a nook hd+ running cyanogenmod as my main..portable device. Thinking I'd like something that can double up as both while getting a bit better/stable tablet as I'm using it more than I thought I would)

I'm not particularly keen on Win8 but I guess I'll get used to it in time. Very impressed with the videos showing it gaming, not that I'd really use it for gaming but I wouldn't be against throwing pinball fx2 on it or so. The last atom device I had was down right awful so I was a little put off by the name (Samsung NC10 I think? dreadful)

Apart from the usual UK price shafting these still seem pretty good value for money and I don't see anything to really rival it atm? (Dell are having a laugh with theirs imo, price wise)

You guys who bought one still happy with it? Think I may be joining you shortly unless something is just round the corner

Back
Top Bottom