ASUS XG438Q 43 inch 120Hz 4K announced

Man of Honour
That's what she said... :p

In all seriousness though, how close is "close up desktop use"... would about 1m away be OK? I'm aware of the dimensions and have tried to figure out how that will sit, but it's tricky to properly visualise.
I think 1m would be ok. My desk is shallow so having it only about 1 to 2 feet away from my face as a viewing position just makes it too big for comfortable day-to-day use.

Soldato
found a review i chinese if anyone can trasnlate.. lol

The more i see it the more i want it... oh i might wait for the ACER 144 version...

Will also be using on my desktop. Go big oe go home :eek:

As far as I'm aware, given 144Hz would require x2 DP 1.4 connections, you can't use Freesync with that, only via single DP 1.4, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

The Asus XG43UQ, also coming later this year apparently, will use DSC though, so there won't be any issue with full 144Hz over a single cable then... although I have seen some people express concern as to what lag this may introduce. We shall see...

Associate
The 120hz smearing/overdrive test at end of that video looks horrible (I know you can't make huge assumptions from a youtube video). I felt motion sickness watching it.

Man of Honour
All I want is a decent 32" monitor with fast IPS, UHD, 16:9, Non-Curved, HDR, 120Hz, G-Sync, under £1000.

Give it to me, give it to me now!

:(
by the time there's something available like that, there will be newer and better technologies available that you will also then want i'm sure. these kind of "wish list" posts always make me smile.

Caporegime
by the time there's something available like that, there will be newer and better technologies available that you will also then want i'm sure. these kind of "wish list" posts always make me smile.

Not really though. That has been my wish list for 4 years now. The fact that there isnt a single screen being shown at shows this year for us to buy next year means it will be 2021 at the earliest before we see them.

Yet I have been rocking with a perfect IPS 4k 32" freesync 60Hz (overclocks to 75hz) quality screen which cost me £450 for 4 years now, I just need that same screen with 120Hz- 144Hz and HDR 600, ideally HDR1000 and gsync or freesync 2 and I am sorted. Its really sad that there has been zero progress for 5 years.

Hell for gsync2, HDR 1000, FALD and 120Hz I would pay £2k for it, 4 times what I paid for my current screen.

Soldato

Unlikely to be honest, none of that is new. I could do away with HDR maybe and still there is nothing and is not something I see as unreasonable.
There are 27" examples, but not 32", that's basically all i'm asking for, just at a reasonable price. But alas, there's not many people in the game and progress is slow.

Man of Honour
Unlikely to be honest, none of that is new. I could do away with HDR maybe and still there is nothing and is not something I see as unreasonable.
There are 27" examples, but not 32", that's basically all i'm asking for, just at a reasonable price. But alas, there's not many people in the game and progress is slow.

All of that is pretty new and would be considered top end right now! The only screens which come close to meeting the required specs are the Asus PG27UQ and Acer X27 really. If I assume by HDR you mean decent high end and meaningful HDR

there’s no 32” options yet as you say, although Philips announced the first option recently which has most of these specs minus traditional Gsync module. Although it will support Gsync VRR to some extent (TBC whether certified as Gsync compatible or not) via adaptive sync anyway. Not sure if you were specifically after hardware Gsync or not..

Philips 328M1R https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/p...for-console-gaming-558m1ry-328m1r-and-278m1r/

Given that’s announced I would be very surprised to not see gaming models announced from Acer and Asus in the near future with 31.5” screen, IPS panel, 120/144Hz and adaptive sync of some variety

You’ve got more chance of them coming in at your desired price range if they are non hardware Gsync as the v2 module needed for 4K at 144Hz is very expensive. Also more chance if it’s a lower end HDR without FALD as again they are very expensive (and also currently linked to Gsync v2 module anyway)

Soldato
All of that is pretty new and would be considered top end right now! The only screens which come close to meeting the required specs are the Asus PG27UQ and Acer X27 really. If I assume by HDR you mean decent high end and meaningful HDR

there’s no 32” options yet as you say, although Philips announced the first option recently which has most of these specs minus traditional Gsync module. Although it will support Gsync VRR to some extent (TBC whether certified as Gsync compatible or not) via adaptive sync anyway. Not sure if you were specifically after hardware Gsync or not..

Philips 328M1R https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/p...for-console-gaming-558m1ry-328m1r-and-278m1r/

Given that’s announced I would be very surprised to not see gaming models announced from Acer and Asus in the near future with 31.5” screen, IPS panel, 120/144Hz and adaptive sync of some variety

You’ve got more chance of them coming in at your desired price range if they are non hardware Gsync as the v2 module needed for 4K at 144Hz is very expensive. Also more chance if it’s a lower end HDR without FALD as again they are very expensive (and also currently linked to Gsync v2 module anyway)

I really don't mind if it's non-hardware GSync, so long as it offers the same/similar result. By the time it's available I may have jumped to AMD again anyway.

I've been using a TN screen for the past 3.5 years (Dell S2716DG), so I would just revel in nice IPS colours before getting hung up on HDR. I could wait for a decent/proper HDR implementation in the meantime, so long as I could decent upgrade to the Dell S2716DG i.e the same but 32", IPS and UHD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom