ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS

Associate
OP
Huzzah :eek:

jWxeHPr.jpg

As a wise man once said. (May have been 8pack) Over clocking when you have no idea what you are doing is a dangerous thing.

Chips running at 1.073 - 0.964v - hard to tell as the benchmarks completes so fast you can hardly get a look in. temps in mid 40's. - however I'm sure they will get hotter over extended periods of time.

It's a world record score according to Hwbot - can't complain with that. ( although I do appreciate it's due to lack of people with such hardware, nor can I validate as I'm on a incompatible windows version :D... -

Associate
OP
Hahah - zx - I fear to know what kinda hardware you are running.

The coolers are two cooler master nepton 280L's. The reason is that the pipes are longer on these so they could go upstairs.
I'd preferred to have gone proper water-cooled, however by the time I'd speccd the bits - that was another £500+. And with the 280L's beating all the aio's and air coolers, it made sense.

Soldato
Will Dig out the pic from the system when I get chance.. Its currently out for review. And using a Supermicro Board so should be nice and stable but limited on features but can handle a lot more memory than the ASUS WS but not as many PCIe so we use both to meet customers requirements.

Errrrrm.. Blackbadger You maybe right.. ;)

I have been looking for a good Dual Xeon Watercooler for a while now. we have a Coolit Sample but they currently want moq of 100 :eek: Nice and Quiet tho and does a great job in cooling 2 x 2687v2 with a single 120mm RAD :o

Associate
OP
These pic's should help explain what I'm doing a bit better.

The poor-man's Caselabs imitation. :p However at 1/5th of the cost - the coolermaster does a fine job. Not sure if to stick more drive caddy's below. Or a low power itx system/nas type system for inception giggles.

eLCHMJe.jpg

And from above - 1 280 rad each side. Currently airflow is going form left to right so one rad's fans is pushing the other pulling. May change the fan configuration around, however it's quite and works at the moment. Well I assume it's quiet, I can't hear anything over the damn quadro whirring away.

RiOSQ7C.jpg -

Associate
Now I'm getting excited seeing this thread :D

Be a wee while before I'm up and running though, I will be cooling both cpu's via a 480 rad and my 780ti's on the other 480 rad.

I asked in WC forum and thoughts are series cooling will be sufficient considering overclock wont be huge if any for the cpu's

Associate
OP
A little more toying this morning. - Not touched any voltages etc.

Gd24Kz7.png

My theory is that will all the time saved from the faster processing power - I can afford to play a bit ;)

Associate
OP
I managed to find two 14 core V3's, now all I need is some ram and another cpu waterblock.
:) Exciting times ahead colin !
Looking at your build log, I'm sure the system is going to be a thing of beauty too. - What case will you be using ?
I had my eyes on the phanteks entho primo, however it appeared to be too limited with rad placements etc when using aio's. The cm stacker prooved to be awesome space wise with it's easy expandability, similar to a caselabs Magnum STH10 (discounting looks, quality, awesomeness etc :D)

I purchased a 64 GB Crucial Kit 4*16GB CT4K16G4RFD4213 1.2V RDIMM. It is identified as the same micron memory on the QVL. (micron make the memory for crucial)
I'll probably get another kit in the coming weeks, however ddr4 is stupidly expensive at the moment. around £550 for 64gb. COME ON OCUK !!

Ideally I'd have gone for the 32gb chips, which there are some samsung ones out in the wild, however by the time I managed to get my card out etc, they are sold. Plus now I have forgotten the product part, so am struggling to find them again :p. - maybe worth a search, if you find them please say.

One thing to note, as I only currently have 4 dimm's - 2 per cpu it appears to actually be running in dual channel mode. - Looks like you have to populate all 8 slots (4 per cpu) to get the full quad channel benefit when running dual cpu's.
I'm Not sure if quad channel memory will make much of a difference for what I am doing. - I guess every little helps, especially in certain workloads.

DDR4 Ram even the best desktop stuff is still very much in it's infancy and basically sucks in comparison to higher end DDR3, transfer speed is faster however the latency/timings are very slow. I am sure this will improve over time.

I have even started to look into ways that can use SSD tech as RAM, The things that I wish todo ideally need 1tb+ of ram (not going to happen with my budget) As the applications mostly use the ram as a holding space for the calculations, not a huge amount of data (well 1tb is huge, but relatively speaking) is actually swapped around so in my mind it kind of negates some of the need for the performance ram actually gives.

It's a given that there would be a performance penalty - even if it is significant. At least the calculations could take place, currently they just cannot be performed as the dataset is too huge, unless spending £20k+ on ram (not even a remote option) :( :eek:

There are some products available such as http://www.sandisk.co.uk/enterprise/ulltradimm-ssd/ which comprise a ssd onboard the dimm, however It looks like they are used only as a fast ssd interface, and not to increase the ram capacity.

Basically I actually want a reverse ram disk - maybe using something like a intel p7300, which is designed for massive throughput and extremely high amount of writes, even if the lifespan was reduced it would be massively cheaper than using actual ram. Just figuring out how todo such a thing is the trouble. I fear I maybe barking up the wrong tree, or looking at the wrong terminology.

On a brighter note what took over 24hrs on my 2600k now only takes 3hrs :eek::cool:

Last edited:
Associate
:) Exciting times ahead colin !
Looking at your build log, I'm sure the system is going to be a thing of beauty too. - What case will you be using ?
I had my eyes on the phanteks entho primo, however it appeared to be too limited with rad placements etc when using aio's. The cm stacker prooved to be awesome space wise with it's easy expandability, similar to a caselabs Magnum STH10 (discounting looks, quality, awesomeness etc :D)

I purchased a 64 GB Crucial Kit 4*16GB CT4K16G4RFD4213 1.2V RDIMM. It is identified as the same micron memory on the QVL. (micron make the memory for crucial)
I'll probably get another kit in the coming weeks, however ddr4 is stupidly expensive at the moment. around £550 for 64gb. COME ON OCUK !!

Ideally I'd have gone for the 32gb chips, which there are some samsung ones out in the wild, however by the time I managed to get my card out etc, they are sold. Plus now I have forgotten the product part, so am struggling to find them again :p. - maybe worth a search, if you find them please say.

One thing to note, as I only currently have 4 dimm's - 2 per cpu it appears to actually be running in dual channel mode. - Looks like you have to populate all 8 slots (4 per cpu) to get the full quad channel benefit when running dual cpu's.
I'm Not sure if quad channel memory will make much of a difference for what I am doing. - I guess every little helps, especially in certain workloads.

DDR4 Ram even the best desktop stuff is still very much in it's infancy and basically sucks in comparison to higher end DDR3, transfer speed is faster however the latency/timings are very slow. I am sure this will improve over time.

I have even started to look into ways that can use SSD tech as RAM, The things that I wish todo ideally need 1tb+ of ram (not going to happen with my budget) As the applications mostly use the ram as a holding space for the calculations, not a huge amount of data (well 1tb is huge, but relatively speaking) is actually swapped around so in my mind it kind of negates some of the need for the performance ram actually gives.

It's a given that there would be a performance penalty - even if it is significant. At least the calculations could take place, currently they just cannot be performed as the dataset is too huge, unless spending £20k+ on ram (not even a remote option) :( :eek:

There are some products available such as http://www.sandisk.co.uk/enterprise/ulltradimm-ssd/ which comprise a ssd onboard the dimm, however It looks like they are used only as a fast ssd interface, and not to increase the ram capacity.

Basically I actually want a reverse ram disk - maybe using something like a intel p7300, which is designed for massive throughput and extremely high amount of writes, even if the lifespan was reduced it would be massively cheaper than using actual ram. Just figuring out how todo such a thing is the trouble. I fear I maybe barking up the wrong tree, or looking at the wrong terminology.

On a brighter note what took over 24hrs on my 2600k now only takes 3hrs :eek::cool:

I'm glad you mentioned CM Stacker I actually have one in my garage. However my plan was to do the build in my Primo.
I certainly don't have such grand plans as you, sounds expensive. I've bought this more for helping me with Folding@Home and BONIC. I do do some video editing but nothing serious, just from my quadcopter and family stuff.
I'm looking at 64GB (4x16) but all I can find is at 610 quid. Not sure if I actually need so much ram or after your comment maybe I should be populating all slots. Will it make much difference to me though I'm not sure either. Maybe I could just get 8 sticks of 8GB instead.
I may well just do a very rough build in the stacker and put it on air just purely to test the cpu's I'm getting, can you recommend any reasonable low profile air coolers?

One more question what are you using yours for?

Associate
OP
I can't mention names, however look at some price comparison sites, - some reputable retailers have stock at the ballpark I mentioned - besides ocuk don't currently sell any ddr4 ecc (sorry, thats getting old :) *hint*)
8*8gb does appear to be more expensive than 4*16 however significantly less than 8*16.

The stacker needed 3 extra mounting holes drilled (only took 15 min) for the motherboard mounts - the row down the middle. I mounted the board carefully without them, then stuck a sharp pencil through the missing mounting holes to mark the motherboard tray, removed the board, and drilled 3 tiny holes a bit smaller than the standoffs. Then using a bit more muscle I screwed the standoffs in. as they are brass, they threaded the tray on the way in. All worked perfectly. (used a hoover and then magnet, to ensure all particles were gone)

ZX spectrum I think has a lot more experience with air coolers, so I'm sure he can recommend something suitable. - As the ram is 1.2v and doesn't come in massive OC'd flavours, they are low profile without heatsinks/spreaders. so clearance shouldn't be a huge issue. Nor Heat.

Regarding your folding at home etc, a quick read suggests Bigadv Work Units can consume upto 750mb per core ( assume that's what your after, as they net great returns), so depending if hyper-threading is used, 64gb maybe required anyway. I also note that F@H on SMP is a memory bandwidth hog (the more cores the more bandwidth needed) so populating all the slots may make a big difference. Not sure if the increased bandwidth of ddr4 running at dual channel is enough, or quad channel would be better. - of course running 4*16 does give the option for more at a later date.

My 'Grand Plan's' :) haa - I consider them delusions :o
3D graphics & Gigapixel imagery.

I wondered over to the distributed computing subforum.. I fear I'd be pulled into that shenanigans if I dare posted there. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah we could certainly have used your "spare" cycles during out last challenge, but EVGA beat us in the end but they have massive amount of cores on hand with their team. You'd be very welcome over with us at Team 10 - OcUK. :D

The Bigadv units are supposed to be ending but you never know what will come along. I think my Stacker is a very old version of the one I see listed at OCUK, I don't think it'll cut it.

I've just been on Caselabs website, the Mercury S8 I really like and I can get the SSI EEB tray, so....maybe. Thanks for the advice sounds like populating all the ram slots is a good option. Yes it won't look good but I have some modding ideas to help with that.

As you can probably tell I'm not all about the performance I want it to look good also.

Soldato
Problem with low profile air coolers is that they tend to be quite wide so you have to ensure then don't clash in a dual cpu system. They can also have a detrimental effect on airflow as most server systems require air in most places on the board with a performance over aesthetics/noise and generally top down coolers can cause disruption in that airflow and can create slight areas on the motherboard where the air isn't directed as it should be.

Xeon coolers are not really any different from any 2011 coolers so just find a pair that fit and keep an eye out on temps of the chipset/vrms/etc just in case it is the case that the cooler is diverting air away from critical components and causing issues. :)

Back
Top Bottom