Asus z68 v pro Broken cpu pin repair?

Caporegime
OP
How much did you pay for this broken board? you have to be careful attempting a repair or you could end up damaging a CPU with it.

yes im aware of damaging the cpu,but i dont think one missing pin would damage it,maybe if the pins were bent and shorting but dont think that would happen,board cost £45

trying to get hold of someone selling new sealed 2600k for £155 but seemslike a pi$$ in the wind to me

Soldato
Bit steep £45 for a known faulty motherboard IMO. Especially given its a faulty socket.

Good luck either way, afaik its going to break down as so:

Old motherboard: £45
Donar board: £20-40 (I can only presume, not seen any prices mentioned)
Reflow Service: £75 min.

About £30 above the cost of a brand new board complete with warranty, I hope you do it cheaper, but your going to be hard pushed to do it.

Caporegime
OP
the donar board was free apart from postage costs,its looking like ill repair myself as im having no luck with asus or any repair shops,and it is just one missing pin,i still dont know if its a vital pin or not or whether it will work without it or not,£45 isnt a huge loss im sure i could recover some if not all if i stuck it on ebay(thats asuming i cant fix it)

the fault was bent pins originally but when i got it i noticed one was broke off,i cba to return so ill try and fix,ive straightened all the affected pins as you can see in pic on page 1

Last edited:
Caporegime
@ wazza300 i have a non working Asrock Z68 extreme motherboard with socket 1155 , the pins are perfect and not bent , if you know anyone who could remove the socket and place it on your board ,you can have this board if you just pay for the postage

What's up with this board that you've donated to him? it might well be easier to get this repaired instead. :p

Associate
What's up with this board that you've donated to him? it might well be easier to get this repaired instead. :p

i bought the board from the Bay but never got round to test it , the pins look ok( pic below) , the MB was purchased for £6.95 ,
the description was
''As part of a bulk lot of customer returns here I have a ASRock Z68 Extreme4 motherboard. No functions/functionality have been checked. The unit comes supplied as shown in the pictures, nothing else. Listed here at 99p without reserve for spares or repair. As I'm not computer expert I can only identify damage that I can obviously see.
If you are unsure of the quality of the items from my photos please understand I do not offer a refund or guarantee. The item is listed at a starting price of 99p for a reason.''

Photo0037_5_large.jpg

**edit** added another pic
Photo0037_2_large.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm looking at one in the flesh atm, looks like all the caps are there?

Yeah I think he's referring to the mounting holes, ASRock has two each corner for some reason.

Didn't the seller give any symptoms for it? like "won't post" or something? must be pretty fatal to sell it for £7. :p

Soldato
The holes are so you can use a 1155, 1156, or 775 cooler, Asrock board supports 'Combo Cooler' option.
White holes are 1155 or 1156.

I also bought same board of the bay for £8, before xmas, & just set it up to today & it works.:eek::o

And the fault was missing CMOS jumper caps, took me 30 minutes before I found the problem though.:o:o:D

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Well some interesting news,a UK firm has offered to replace the whole CPU socket,all I need to do is buy a replacement socket base from the u.s,which costs £10 delivered,don't know cost of repair yet,still waiting on email,if they do fix it ill post company name here if that's ok mods? As I think it would be great help for similar folks in same situation,I've also managed to grab a 2600k chip new and sealed for £199 delivered so ill keep you posted on what happens

Specops,your board hasn't arrived yet,ill wait see what happens first before I butcher it for any pins

Last edited:
Associate
Specops,your board hasn't arrived yet,ill wait see what happens first before I butcher it for any pins

i would see if it works first , like i said i never got round to test it , you might be lucky and find it works or it may have a simple fault like jumpers/ comos battery or bios chip which are cheap to replace

edit

the only reason i bought it i thought it was the Gen 3 Board but it wasn't

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
i would see if it works first , like i said i never got round to test it , you might be lucky and find it works or it may have a simple fault like jumpers/ comos battery or bios chip which are cheap to replace

edit

the only reason i bought it i thought it was the Gen 3 Board but it wasn't

ive seen some gen3 for £115 delivered,that firm i mentioned has been the only place so far willing to repair it

Soldato
I have bought several 1155 boards off the bay for £5 or £10,latest one was Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3, no anti static bag, has most accessories,but no manual, built it up this morning to test & it works perfectly.

So, you might be lucky, worth trying the Asrock first to see if it works.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
you can download the manual from gigabytes website if you need to,i still wanna try get the asus fixed too,but if repair costs too much i might try repair myself,never used asrock before,only asus/gigabyte boards

Back
Top Bottom