Asus

Soldato
Anyone else not a fan?

I've not purchased anything Asus for a good few years now.

Over the years I've had several motherboards, all have had issues. Onboard LAN controllers failing, onboard sound failing.

I had an Asus laptop and the connection behind the screen was dodgy, so you had to open it at the right angle.

Reading through these forums, particularly after Zen 3 dropped almost all of the issues on new systems were on Asus boards.

Know a guy who works in IT, networking mainly and setting up hardware, doesn't like Asus.

I see they market their products well, I'll give them that, but in my opinion they are a C grade at best manufacturer charging A grade prices.

Soldato
Their a huge manufacture, just like all the other brands they will have issues from time to time and generally people only post when they have issues so you see it more.

Can't say I've ever had any issues with their hardware over the last 15 years with various motherboards Intel or AMD, AMD & Nvidia GPU's and even their keyboards (bought the claymore in 2016 and it's still going strong today)

Associate
My wife's GPU is an ASUS 970, mines MSI. Her runs cooler but mine runs faster, but haven't had issues.

I know a few people with a lot of ASUS hardware, mostly the ROG stuff and never had a problem from motherboards, GPUs to keyboards and mice.

However one guy at work bought an ASUS board for his 5900X build and it's been horrible from networking issues, to USB issues.

Soldato
Think i only had 1 Asus motherboard, Maximus V Gene.

Very good board and the only problem i had was when i water cooled the GPU.

The EK backplate stopped the GPU from fitting the top slot as it was to close to the RAM. Was fine without the backplate, so not a fault of Asus.

Associate
Won't touch them now, even if they have a cheaper similar product. I started a thread about them some months ago because their warranty repair was questionable at best, they refused to fix what was a clear defect.

Soldato
Had an Asus board for my s939 amd's... ended up needing to replace a perfectly good motherboard because they wouldn't update the drivers for the new OS that I wanted to use (I didn't actually mind vista....)

Haven't used one since, replaced the s939 with an asrock, went asrock again for my i7 4790k and then msi on my am4...

Would I use them now... no reason not to these days but honestly they're not near the top of my list when it comes to motherboards. Having said that I don't think the 'brand premium' they charge is warranted.

Soldato
They have some useful overclocking features on their higher end motherboards and often they tend to be among the best for memory overclocking, though it should also be noted that they've had a few reported issues with the new Z790 Apex motherboard and for that kind of money you would think this would not be the case

Issues can happen with any manufacturer but going back over many years Asus has been such where you hope and pray your hardware stays working perfectly.

Man of Honour
Never had a great experience with them myself - went through several of their nForce 680 boards which all died, original ROG Swift Monitor I had to RMA several times and just got someone else's RMA'd monitor round-robin until they didn't have any more and had to send me a new one and that didn't last a year. The n66u router needed the Merlin FW to sort out issues Asus should have sorted and the power switch on it was the cheapest piece of **** they could have put on there and after awhile needed to be bypassed.

EDIT: Forgot also had a couple of Asus GPUs with serious problems - one the wrong model in the box which had been flashed with the BIOS for the next tier, one that would only boot in 4 bit colour after awhile due to solder failure.

They are happy to slap premium branding and prices on their hardware but won't back it up with a premium service or component quality throughout the whole device.

Similar story with friends and family.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't think I have ever purchased anything Asus either. Not that Im not a fan but they are usually more expensive and I don't think the name justifies the price increase.

Soldato
I’ve always liked Asus, bought their motherboards for years. Especially ROG.

But now their prices are inflated, just look the mATX X670E Gene - obscene price.

Soldato
I’ve always liked Asus, bought their motherboards for years. Especially ROG.

But now their prices are inflated, just look the mATX X670E Gene - obscene price.
Yep, prices have doubled in one gen. I was going to get the x670 Hero but £650!
ROG CROSSHAIR HERO: x370 --> £250, x470 -->£260, x570 -->£350-400, x670-->£650-700.

Associate
I had 4 Asus motherboards die in a year with a 6700k , think Z170 chipset but may be wrong. I then gave them another chance with an X570 prime but it did not last a year so I am now on MSi motherboards and the feel and weight of MSI mobos is a step up from the Asus and Gigabyte mobos I have used.

I have an Asus TUF 6800 and the cooler was massive and totally silent in use but it is now under a water block. I will be putting the original cooler back on it in next couple of months once I have waterblock for 7900xtx and I was very impressed with it originally.

I feel Asus charge an unjustified premium on their products and they are certainly not my first choice.

Soldato
In the process of trying to get a motherboard thats faulty RMA. Asus simply say go back to where you bought it. Not our problem they put the fault finding and onus on the retailer and when that retailer happens to be someone absolutely scummy and crap your left to the wall. Currently in the process of this right now and I swear I will never ever buy another thing from Asus if it can be helped. Do not understand how on earth they think this is a sustainable business practice.

Soldato
OP
In the process of trying to get a motherboard thats faulty RMA. Asus simply say go back to where you bought it. Not our problem they put the fault finding and onus on the retailer and when that retailer happens to be someone absolutely scummy and crap your left to the wall. Currently in the process of this right now and I swear I will never ever buy another thing from Asus if it can be helped. Do not understand how on earth they think this is a sustainable business practice.

Technically Asus are correct, the legal contract is with the retailer, I am not sure if this changed recently as always used to be the retailler would say, after some period, say 3 months go to the manufacturer.

However I have gone through warranties with other manufacturers (Razor) who honoured, so Asus clearly not wanting to help.

Back
Top Bottom