Asus

Associate
I can appreciate that they sometimes make some excellent hardware, look specifically at some of their higher end Strix boards (Z690, Z790, X670) and more recently even their TUF line up has been pretty good. For this generations of GPUs I think the Strix 40 series is by far the best looking. But theres one glaring issue - the price. You can almost always find hardware with similar or better level of performance and/or components from the other vendors like Gigabyte, EVGA, MSI for lower cost in each price bracket. I've never tried their laptops or monitors, nor have I ever considered them, so I can't share any thoughts on those.

Man of Honour
But theres one glaring issue - the price. You can almost always find hardware with similar or better level of performance and/or components from the other vendors like Gigabyte, EVGA, MSI for lower cost in each price bracket.
this.

was about to say the exact same.

I've been buying Asus boards for years now and not had any major issues. Certainly not had any fail yet. I hate how the driver and software updates vanish after a couple of years. These days PC hardware lasts a lot longer than it used to, or at least stays more relevant and capable longer. I remember feeling the need to update hardware yearly or more in the 90s to 2010s. Since then, we reached a plateau and hardware hasn't really changed all that much. I only feel the need every few years now, with maybe smaller incremental updates in between.

Last edited:
Sgarrista
Commissario
Thread 'A rant about the low quality QC in the hardware market.' https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...w-quality-qc-in-the-hardware-market.18968454/

The board got sent back as "no fault" from Ocuk today.

Plugged it all in and yep, its still chirping away. You may need to headphones to hear it due to the fan noise but here is what its like:

Its hard to describe how irritating this noise is, in person its at a pitch/frequency that is absolutely cutting when you are in a quiet office with a fully watercooled rig.

I then swapped the board out for a crosshair hero, and that is absolutely silent.

Man of Honour
The board got sent back as "no fault" from Ocuk today.
oooh...that's horrendous VRM chirp
sometimes changing the PSU can help, if not definitely sending it back for a refund
i'm not sure RMA would be of any use since technically it's a working product?

Sgarrista
Commissario
sometimes changing the PSU can help, if not definitely sending it back for a refund

PSU is a corsair ax1600i, literally the best on the market in build quality.

i'm not sure RMA would be of any use since technically it's a working product?

Its "not fit for use" given it makes using the PC impossible after more than a few minutes due to how intrusive the noise is.

Man of Honour
PSU is a corsair ax1600i, literally the best on the market in build quality.
i'm sure it is, the reason for changing the PSU is that the electrical resonance may be slightly different from PSU to PSU (it doesn't even have to be a different model...just...a different PSU) so could reduce/eliminate the coil whine

Soldato
Sounds horrible that - would do my head in.

It’s not just Asus though - I had to return my 4090FE back due to the coil whine, and my 4 odd week old Sapphire 7900XT started making an awful noise from one fan which has just also been sent back under RMA.

Prices have gone up, but I don’t remember having so many quality problems with parts before.

Sgarrista
Commissario
i'm sure it is, the reason for changing the PSU is that the electrical resonance may be slightly different from PSU to PSU (it doesn't even have to be a different model...just...a different PSU) so could reduce/eliminate the coil whine

Given ive tried the same PSU on a crosshair hero and it was silent, the problem is the board. Either way I wont be swapping out a very expensive PSU to fix a problem on a defective board, and thats what it is, defective.

Last edited:
Soldato
ASUS are just a marketing company at this point. RMA’s are generally painful at best and refused for any reason they can think of at worst. BIOS support is awful, as soon as they release a new product, they just ignore the previous gen and good luck getting fixes going forward, that said it’s not much different to current gen. The networking side is an utter shambles, has an awful history with ignoring CVE’s for years despite knowing it was exposing user data to the internet and faking FCC test data. Basically they suck.

The only ASUS kit I have is technically on loan, it comes to me after it’s been pimped on YouTube etc. and on the strict understanding I can’t under any circumstances RMA it. Ever (irony: Just like the retail stuff). As it’s ‘free’, I bite my lip and get on with it, truth be told if you stick to the intel side of things, I have been pretty lucky for the last few years, but I prefer ASRock/Gigabyte and MSI if I am paying.

Associate
Couple of threads bouncing this about already. But more the merrier in this case :D

Still people out there believing ASUS provide good products and this is just a small accident.
ASUS.do provide good products though don't they? Asus is one of the brands I see the least complaints of amongst the circles I'm in

Man of Honour
Dunno I know loads of people who use Asus without complaints but they've been the brand I've had to RMA the most both my own stuff and builds I've done for other people, etc. (usually not my component choice).

Soldato
My last three ASUS boards (Z97, X99, X370) worked fine for years and had BIOS update for longer than I expected. My x370 Hero got an update a few months ago. Not saying ASUS doesn’t suck, just saying its hit and miss. Not had any issues with my current B650E-E although started to have network dropouts but it could be my rooter as my mobile cannot connect to Wi-Fi when it happens, can a Nic mess up the rooter, so it needs to be rebooted to work again?

Back
Top Bottom