• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** ATI RADEON 7950 OVERCLOCKING & HEAVEN RESULTS!! **

OcUK Staff
OP
If these turn out to be extremely close to 7970 performance in games then I will pick up a couple once the price comes down and non-reference coolers are added (still going strong with my GTX 470 Twin Frozr IIs).

They won't at stock speeds.

The 79xx is all about overclocking and as they clock so well it would be criminal not to overclock the 79xx series. I've never known a graphics card like these for clocking. Certainly adds an element of fun being able to get a 30-40% performance boost simply by clocking/flashing your card. :D

Associate
Whilst this card looks like the quality for the price tag... I need that little bit more oomph for BF3.

Sure Overclocking helps but the Noise/Space i have in my pc to keep it cool and the fan speed would just create unnecessary noise for me.

So looks like ill push forward that little bit more and get a 7970

Soldato
Given that it's pretty much going to depend on the OEMs it's hard to say.

This isn't going to arrive in a uniform manner. Sapphire for example have a completely custom card out, and from what I hear the 7950 is not a card AMD will be making many, if any of, themselves.

So model will be important it would seem.

Ed. Which is a good thing. It'll stop the urine extracting "Sticker brigade". How can MSI want £499 for their card when it's the same as a VTX only with less sticker on? LOL.

Soldato
They won't at stock speeds.

The 79xx is all about overclocking and as they clock so well it would be criminal not to overclock the 79xx series. I've never known a graphics card like these for clocking. Certainly adds an element of fun being able to get a 30-40% performance boost simply by clocking/flashing your card. :D

Oh, don't worry - I always overclock the hell out of 'em gibbo! :D

Associate
Given that it's pretty much going to depend on the OEMs it's hard to say.

This isn't going to arrive in a uniform manner. Sapphire for example have a completely custom card out, and from what I hear the 7950 is not a card AMD will be making many, if any of, themselves.

So model will be important it would seem.

Ed. Which is a good thing. It'll stop the urine extracting "Sticker brigade". How can MSI want £499 for their card when it's the same as a VTX only with less sticker on? LOL.

I never buy a branded GCard because 95% of the time they are a ripoff.

OCUK value 7970 is what im going to get, i dont really need a Sapphire card for + 25-50£ that comes with stickers and a few cables.

Soldato
I never buy a branded GCard because 95% of the time they are a ripoff.

OCUK value 7970 is what im going to get, i dont really need a Sapphire card for + 25-50£ that comes with stickers and a few cables.

Yeah for sure.

It's always made me laugh reading customer reviews on Newegg...

Card arrived DOA. This is the last time I'm going Sapphire, am going back to EVGA next time !

Idiots. It's a frigging sticker for crying out loud.

My 7970 was £439. It's an XFX. Well, it's actually a reference AMD card with a nice brushed alu sticker over it. But when I got it it was the cheapest one. Warranty is kinda lame (2 years) but I'll only have it that long tbh.

Associate
Yeah for sure.

It's always made me laugh reading customer reviews on Newegg...

Card arrived DOA. This is the last time I'm going Sapphire, am going back to EVGA next time !

Idiots. It's a frigging sticker for crying out loud.

My 7970 was £439. It's an XFX. Well, it's actually a reference AMD card with a nice brushed alu sticker over it. But when I got it it was the cheapest one. Warranty is kinda lame (2 years) but I'll only have it that long tbh.

The lowest i see so far is the OcUK reference design at 415 i think.

I am on the edge of getting it now, i hate overclocking because it always frightens me with my case size and only 2 case fans. But if i do purchase a 7970 it is mainly to ultra bf3 @ probably start overclocking.

Do you reckon its worth getting now or waiting for a bit/

Soldato
The lowest i see so far is the OcUK reference design at 415 i think.

I am on the edge of getting it now, i hate overclocking because it always frightens me with my case size and only 2 case fans. But if i do purchase a 7970 it is mainly to ultra bf3 @ probably start overclocking.

Do you reckon its worth getting now or waiting for a bit/

Can you afford it?

If you can, and you don't have to go into debt for it, nor go without then get it.

You are paying for the exclusivity right now, but that's part and parcel of having the very best at launch.

Me? I'm far from rich. I just had a bit of a result, had the cash in my hand and when I sat down and thought about it buying a PC part made sense. I spend most of my life at my PC and everything else I buy ends up thrown to one side.

And I hate selling things. I hate seeing people's greedy side come out, and I hate all the haggling and stuff, so I usually just leave them to fester under my bed haha.

Only thing I've bought other than food and water since 2008 that's actually been used a lot is my Ipad. And mostly because I don't have Sky here so a friend of mine allows me to use his Sky go. Jailbroke it, got a RGB cable, sorted :D

Associate
Can you afford it?

If you can, and you don't have to go into debt for it, nor go without then get it.

You are paying for the exclusivity right now, but that's part and parcel of having the very best at launch.

Me? I'm far from rich. I just had a bit of a result, had the cash in my hand and when I sat down and thought about it buying a PC part made sense. I spend most of my life at my PC and everything else I buy ends up thrown to one side.

And I hate selling things. I hate seeing people's greedy side come out, and I hate all the haggling and stuff, so I usually just leave them to fester under my bed haha.

Only thing I've bought other than food and water since 2008 that's actually been used a lot is my Ipad. And mostly because I don't have Sky here so a friend of mine allows me to use his Sky go. Jailbroke it, got a RGB cable, sorted :D

I stored a lot of items in a storage company... It burnt down and i got 3,000 pounds in compensation, i replaced the items that were replaceable inside it with the money and i have 600£ over, for income im fine i earn enough to support food electricity etc so money is no worries for this.

And yea, i spend all the time off from work on my pc so its worth the buying.

Soldato
I stored a lot of items in a storage company... It burnt down and i got 3,000 pounds in compensation, i replaced the items that were replaceable inside it with the money and i have 600£ over, for income im fine i earn enough to support food electricity etc so money is no worries for this.

And yea, i spend all the time off from work on my pc so its worth the buying.

I've had about 80 hours of game playing out of my 7970 already. I haven't even had it a week yet. Enjoyment factor? well, let's say I worked for min wage and earned £6.50 an hour. 80 x £6.50 = £520. I base my games on the same logic. If a game can last me as long as it would take to earn the game it's a good buy.

Not that I earn min wage, but yeah, if I did let's say I would appreciate that hour of gaming a lot more than the hour of work it took me to make that money.

This is why I don't buy games such as Modern Snorefare 3. I don't play MP (I'm anti social tbh and like being alone) so I don't see £45 worth the 4 hours.

So it will just come down to regret really. If you think you're going to buy it and then be bummed out in a month when Nvidia make a card that's 10% faster for the same cash then don't do it. Me? couldn't care. I paid the price to play my games smooth and wave my willy :D

And wave my willy I have. I've totally ripped ten levels of pee out of my mate who is a big Nvidia fan and has a 580 and belittled me for ages for buying a 6970 :D

Associate
I wouldnt touch Nvidia with a 10 foot pole to be honest, i have had nothing but trouble from them.

Who knows, maybe they improved since i had a card for them, but to be honest if i have something that can ultra bf3, it means it can fare to some of the ****** console ports i also wanna try.

That and i do like wiggle wiggle wiggling my willy at people.

Associate
I don't think AMD made the same "mass stock" mistakes that Nvidia did.

The only cards that have really been truly stunning value over the past couple of years were the 470 and 480. I mean for cripe's sake, a 480 could be had in November of 2010 for £189.99 with free delivery :eek:

The hilarity of course was that the 570 cost around £300 and was pretty much the same card, only cooler and quieter. But, what most people missed was the first fix for Fermi - Adaptive performance. This led to very low idle temps, even on the 470 and 480 with those pathetic 1" fan coolers.

With a saving like that the noise at load was worth putting up with TBH.

GTX 480 prices 26th Nov 2010, haha £189.99....Epic Fail ;)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back
Top Bottom