• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATi Radeon HD3870 Review and Impressions!

Soldato
So whats the verdict then if you have a 2900XT, worth the change to a 3870?
it's the same but less power.. ive said that all the long.

Now I havent even done the 7.10 driver test yet but one thing is pretty much certain which is why I am cutting the testing short for the card. This IS the HD2900 and clock for clock you can match them up and they will perform the same at the same speeds its that simple. So after the overclocking I will be easily able to conclude this review

Last edited:
Soldato
So those that are concerned about their electricity bill and own a 2900XT, this maybe a good card for them, I prefer to go for extra performance in games when i change my card but i guess were not all the same.;)

Associate
Awesome review Jrodga2k5! Thanks for taking the time to do this. Be very interested to see your findings with the Cats too.

I have one at home too (it was delivered at about 9am this morning) so will have a play tonight probably. I am glad your findings concluded that this puppy was indeed very quiet and low on power usage....should be a nice upgrade from my 7800GTX in terms of performance too. oh....and I have xfire to look forward to when I get a new system!

Thanks again

Associate
Very fair sounding review... I was tinkin of either gettin one of these or the 8800gt. Im swaying towards ati as my dell psu is just under 400W i tink, and i only have one power connector, therefore these cards should be fine on it...

Soldato
Very wierd that the 7.10 drivers aren't working.

Don't forget that the cooler doesn't look anywhere near as good at cooling as the old xt variant. Obviously your getting a much quieter cooler, but have you tried benching the card with the fan on full blast? I would also be interested in learning about vcore increase and see what the card can do with a proper cooler.

Is it still quiet even overclocked to 860?

Matthew

Soldato
OP
Thanks man, I think I was fairly fair in the review and just comparing it to the HD2900 was the way to go! I knew from the outset it wouldnt beat the 8800Gt but it has improved in the areas where the 2900 annoyed me!

Soldato
OP
Very wierd that the 7.10 drivers aren't working.

Don't forget that the cooler doesn't look anywhere near as good at cooling as the old xt variant. Obviously your getting a much quieter cooler, but have you tried benching the card with the fan on full blast? I would also be interested in learning about vcore increase and see what the card can do with a proper cooler.

Is it still quiet even overclocked to 860?

Matthew

Ok cant test the fan properly yet since the driver doesnt work in Riva Tuner or allow you to do so in ATi Tool! :( Yes the card was silent with the OC and that was impressive but makes me think it is just set at a specific speed and told to sit there! I dunno but we definately need the 7.11's and these will no doubt come on release day of the cards or the week after!

Back
Top Bottom