• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATi Radeon HD3870 Review and Impressions!

Associate
For what it's worth, the CCC has failed to work on about every other release & i'm on XP. It appears to install but does nothing when run. Thankfully the drivers themselves work. I generally tend towards official & default settings on everything, but I've adopted tray tools permanently because CCC seems to often not work, even with the required net framework installed. I don't mind it being slow but I do need it to work.
BTW I think people underestimate just how greatly the power consumption has been reduced. The 2900's are the most power hungry graphics cards ever released, to the point where that alone ruled them out for me. These (38xx) cards are the first to massively reduce power consumption in 2D mode & they finally come well within the acceptable range in 3D mode. For too long, graphics cards have been increasing their power consumption while most other parts of the PC have become more efficient. About time is all I can say.
And by the way, thanks for the review, I'm seriously considering one of these acrds.

Associate
Last edited:
Caporegime
The Anandtech review didn't crossfire the 3870's... :(

2x 3850 is also a lot more than an 8800GT cost-wise too... and considering they only just beat an 8800GTX in most things I don't see them as a viable price/performance upgrade when crossfired.

EDIT - With the 3870 i'm seeing some decent improvements over the 2900XT though...

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, the 3850 is a decent performer and if I was looking at spending £100 it would have to be one of those, you'd be off your trolley to buy 2 at the same time though.
Could be an alright option adding another a while down the line when their value has dropped significantly, just to drag out some life. I'd be interested to see some more benchmarks of the 3870/3850 mixed xfire setup.

Associate
The Anandtech review didn't crossfire the 3870's... :(

2x 3850 is also a lot more than an 8800GT cost-wise too... and considering they only just beat an 8800GTX in most things I don't see them as a viable price/performance upgrade when crossfired.

Try the iax pages they do crossfire, at least for 3dmark.

Caporegime
It was definately my CPU causing all the trouble.

Did a complete format, totally performance orientated, still got 12,000. Bunged a Q6600 in today and now I'm up at 15,000.

Am I best off on the drivers on the CD or are there any others around yet?

Associate
jrodga, please could you benchmark crysis again with the new hotfix? as others have noticed an increase in fps, the site says it's for your card but it may have come with the driver's on the CD??

Thanks

Soldato
jrodga, please could you benchmark crysis again with the new hotfix? as others have noticed an increase in fps, the site says it's for your card but it may have come with the driver's on the CD??

Thanks
the card came with 8.430.0.0000 driver. which the crysis hotfix is 8.430.1.1000. so is different

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm surprised the 3850 dont get crippled at high res with that 256mb memory.

If you read the techreport review it does get crippled. (In most cases performing worse than a single 3850)

Whether this is a driver glitch or something else I don't know.

I must say I am sorely tempted by the powercolour 3850 extreme 512mb model with the Zalman cooler however as I have a SLI motherboard I keep getting drawn back to the 8800GT.

Obviously the 3850 is cheaper by roughly £30-40 depending which cards you get however if I went for a dual card setup I would have to get a new motherboard for the CF setup. Considering this would cost roughly £80 for a decent model that puts it at roughly the same cost as the 8800GT SLI setup and therefore not worth it at all.

Of course if I had a CF motheboard then the CF 3850 would be much more attractive.

Vir

Vir

Associate
Asus Radeon HD 3870 TOP Edition Unveiled

asushd3870topxd7.jpg

asustophd3800hx7.jpg

source: http://forum.donanimhaber.com/m_19094153/tm.htm

New top edition, looks promising if you ask me :)

Back
Top Bottom