Atmospheric games. What're your recommendations for anyone?

Associate
OP
It was said earlier in this thread, and to be honest I'm surprised it's just been suggested once, so I'll make it again: Subnautica. It's one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. Sure, it all happens underwater, but that's the amazing thing about it, and the environment is utterly stunning. It's still early access but it is a true gem, completely fleshed out and working (has been for the last few years as well) and just keeps getting better. The way it looks now vs how it did a few months ago is an utter transformation.

There are worse ways that you can spend £20 to be honest, and it'll no doubt drop to a lower price in the upcoming Steam sale.

If you like underwater, keep peepers on Debris.
Just been delayed a bit, but looks promising.
Some clips on youtube play show bits of start.

Soldato
Think I "ran & gunned" too much to really notice atmosphere wise, but yep, not bad at all. Especially with that amazing music!

I know what you mean. The first time I couldn't take it all in. But the second time, I paused more between fights and enjoyed the atmosphere. And yeah the music is a gaming soundtrack masterpiece, imo.

Man of Honour
Here’s a few older recommendations (1999-2004):

Freespace 2 - demonstrates that you don’t need to be a tight corridor to generate atmosphere
Max Payne - complete with film noir narration
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - everyone should play this. Even the music brings back the feel.
Dues Ex - Hong Kong level in particular. The atmosphere is enhanced by how intricate the crafting of characters and story is, you progress through the game and feel like you are dealing with genuine persistent factions rather than a random bunch of stuff thrown together
Call of Duty - largely thanks to the set pieces like beach landings, STalingrad assault etc

Associate
OP
Got a nice surprise, kickstarter sent me a survey for Scorn which I backed & found out can get either a steam or DRM free version :eek::D

7Ya3liy.jpg

There's only around half an hours gameplay so far, but wow, it looks amazing!
youtube/twitch clips don't do it justice.

Soldato
Here’s a few older recommendations (1999-2004):

Freespace 2 - demonstrates that you don’t need to be a tight corridor to generate atmosphere
Max Payne - complete with film noir narration
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - everyone should play this. Even the music brings back the feel.
Dues Ex - Hong Kong level in particular. The atmosphere is enhanced by how intricate the crafting of characters and story is, you progress through the game and feel like you are dealing with genuine persistent factions rather than a random bunch of stuff thrown together
Call of Duty - largely thanks to the set pieces like beach landings, STalingrad assault etc

Agreed. Played this for the first time earlier this year and it's brilliant. Still looks and plays great.

Associate
OP
Another one for the list perhaps, saw it mentioned in another thread.
Conarium.

Hadn't heard of it before, but quick look on youtube & it seems alright. Shortish according to HLTB though at 3-6 hours.

Also the Alien Breed series. Almost forgot to add those.

Last edited:
Associate
An old game but it's doesn't get much more atmospheric than fatal frame/project zero

Damn that game gave me shivers down my spine.

Last edited:
Soldato
I second this. This game really does feel unique - amazing atmosphere through out. Fantastic experience that everyone should try, especially as it's free!

It’s enjoyable but as you said, it’s an experience. It’s not a game, it’s on rails tbh, you walk through a visual story pooing yourself along the way.
Great non-game.

Back
Top Bottom