Atom RPG

Soldato
This is one of a crop of recent games that aim to recreate the spirit of Wasteland and Fallout (also Wasteland 2 and 3, Underrail, Encased)

Oh yeah its better than Wasteland 3 anyway, which is the only one of the above I played.

That game really wasnt great, I really didnt get the completely off scale, then also trying to make it somewhat realist world map? I mean, make it in game, or make it a map, not try to do a bit of both? Scripted enemies = bad. Game breaking bug stopped me completing a quest. Bad art work. Predictable and boring story.

I got to the end before the last fight and literally just couldnt be arsed to finish it.

But, why cant they make games better?

The original fallout games were over 20 years ago, the original X:Com UFO was something like 1993, thats heading towards 30 years! yet the modern reincarnations are all sub par.....

Man of Honour
Ah, so you were lvl 27 after visiting Dead City? I must have misread, sorry. That might not be sooo far off what I might get to, especially with fights that large to come. [..]

I think there has been some confusion over bunkers. I thought you were referring to the endgame bunker, the main bunker. Which is the one I did last, after visiting Dead City. IIRC, you have to do something in Dead City before doing the final bunker. Maybe not - my memory isn't clear on that.

Now that you've done the bunker you were referring to, has the game ended, roll credits? Did you find the people you'd been sent to find, your main mission, and encounter the general who led that party? Do you know exactly what the Mycellium Society does and what its plans are and why? If not, it's not the endgame bunker.

Not to be a Negative Nancy, but isn't this game just Fallout except it's worse? That was at least the feeling I got when playing it. I only played it for an hour or so tho before I meh'd out. How is this better than Fallout? I would like to like this game, but so far I just can't, unfortunately.

It's the other way around for me. I think Atom RPG is the best game I've played in years. I meh'd out of Fallout. I'd like to like it, but I didn't. I liked Fallout 3, Fallout NV and Fallout 4. I even somewhat liked some aspects of Fallout 76 (great gameworld, bad game). But I didn't like Fallout 1 and I didn't bother with Fallout 2. Having played Atom RPG (then Wasteland 2 and Wasteland 3 and several other turn-based isometric games) I have pencilled in giving Fallout 1 another go. Maybe with a higher res mod so it doesn't look awful on my monitor.

As @BUDFORCE said, each to their own. Atom RPG and Fallout aren't the same game, so saying one is just the other except it's worse is wrong. It's like saying that coffee is just tea except it's worse. Or vice versa.

Man of Honour
Oh yeah its better than Wasteland 3 anyway, which is the only one of the above I played.

That game really wasnt great, I really didnt get the completely off scale, then also trying to make it somewhat realist world map? I mean, make it in game, or make it a map, not try to do a bit of both? Scripted enemies = bad. Game breaking bug stopped me completing a quest. Bad art work. Predictable and boring story.

I got to the end before the last fight and literally just couldnt be arsed to finish it.

I think Wasteland 2 is a fair bit better than Wasteland 3, but probably not by enough to make it appealing to you given your experience of Wasteland 3. Maybe worth a go if you spot it on sale for £5.

But, why cant they make games better?

The original fallout games were over 20 years ago, the original X:Com UFO was something like 1993, thats heading towards 30 years! yet the modern reincarnations are all sub par.....

How much of that is the games and how much is us being older? There's definitely a trend for people to perceive the entertainment of their youth to be better than the entertainment of today. Games, music, TV, every form of entertainment. Many other things, too.

Soldato
I think there has been some confusion over bunkers. I thought you were referring to the endgame bunker, the main bunker. Which is the one I did last, after visiting Dead City. IIRC, you have to do something in Dead City before doing the final bunker. Maybe not - my memory isn't clear on that.

Now that you've done the bunker you were referring to, has the game ended, roll credits? Did you find the people you'd been sent to find, your main mission, and encounter the general who led that party? Do you know exactly what the Mycellium Society does and what its plans are and why? If not, it's not the endgame bunker.

Yeah, I see now. It was totally my misreading as I had been reading posts about the first bunker you're sent to just before reading your post and mashed the two instances together to come away with the idea you were level 27 at B317! :o

I also wonder how much of the reverence for the original Fallout games is rose-tinted nostalgia, but... I did play Fallout 2 not that long ago and it still stood out as excellent, and imho I would say it has more depth, better writing, better world-crafting and more feeling of freedom than Atom. Fallout 1 I couldn't get on with, but I missed it first time round and the whole set-up was just too painful for my sensibilties that are now used to modern game interfaces and mechanics.

Man of Honour
[..] I also wonder how much of the reverence for the original Fallout games is rose-tinted nostalgia, but... I did play Fallout 2 not that long ago and it still stood out as excellent, and imho I would say it has more depth, better writing, better world-crafting and more feeling of freedom than Atom. Fallout 1 I couldn't get on with, but I missed it first time round and the whole set-up was just too painful for my sensibilties that are now used to modern game interfaces and mechanics.

I was looking for a hi res mod for Fallout 1 and found another mod which has Fallout 1 redone in the Fallout 2 engine. That might be a good approach. I'm currently banging my head on Darkest Dungeon, but if I ever finish that I'll maybe give Fallout 1 and 2 another go. I decided to play Darkest Dungeon on darkest difficulty. It's dark and difficult :)

Soldato
I was looking for a hi res mod for Fallout 1 and found another mod which has Fallout 1 redone in the Fallout 2 engine. That might be a good approach. I'm currently banging my head on Darkest Dungeon, but if I ever finish that I'll maybe give Fallout 1 and 2 another go. I decided to play Darkest Dungeon on darkest difficulty. It's dark and difficult :)

Yeah, I liked Darkest Dungeon, but it got seriously frustrating at some point and I still have my old save to go back to when I can face it :)

On the subject of Atom:
Did you kill Leopold and the other soldiers before the mycellium-possessed guy at the end of the Mountain Pass bunker? For RP reasons I felt like I should kill them rather than let them take this creepy mind-controling fungus into the area's biggest city. But - I tried a few times and couldn't do it without one or two of my companions dying.

Also, I think I misssed the VER rifle on this level by the looks of it. I wonder if I should reload a save and get it. Presumably it's in the one safe I couldn't open...

Soldato
So, very much enjoying Trudograd as well.

I think going straight from the original game to this one feels better than it would starting it again as a new game. The start of the game does indeed lack the original's sense of desperation (though having said that it was around 15 hours in the city before I finally got hold of an automatic weapon...), but moving from one to the other gives a feeling of continuation so I didn't really miss it. Also, whilst I prefered the wasteland, the city makes a nice change of scenerey having spent around 60 hours trudging around the wastes.

I raised speechcraft and personality for this one on character import and level-up, and it is amazing how many situations you can resolve peacefully. I might be wrong, but I think I could have avoided every battle I've fought if I really wanted to with some juggling of my stats with food and items.

A really good post-apocalytpic gameathon playing them both back-to-back.

Man of Honour
Yeah, I liked Darkest Dungeon, but it got seriously frustrating at some point and I still have my old save to go back to when I can face it :)

I finished it in the end. ~250 game weeks, maybe 300. I'm quite stubborn when it comes to games :)

On the subject of Atom:
Did you kill Leopold and the other soldiers before the mycellium-possessed guy at the end of the Mountain Pass bunker? For RP reasons I felt like I should kill them rather than let them take this creepy mind-controling fungus into the area's biggest city. But - I tried a few times and couldn't do it without one or two of my companions dying.

Also, I think I misssed the VER rifle on this level by the looks of it. I wonder if I should reload a save and get it. Presumably it's in the one safe I couldn't open...

I can't remember the answer to either of those questions.

So, very much enjoying Trudograd as well.

I think going straight from the original game to this one feels better than it would starting it again as a new game. The start of the game does indeed lack the original's sense of desperation (though having said that it was around 15 hours in the city before I finally got hold of an automatic weapon...), but moving from one to the other gives a feeling of continuation so I didn't really miss it. Also, whilst I prefered the wasteland, the city makes a nice change of scenerey having spent around 60 hours trudging around the wastes.

I raised speechcraft and personality for this one on character import and level-up, and it is amazing how many situations you can resolve peacefully. I might be wrong, but I think I could have avoided every battle I've fought if I really wanted to with some juggling of my stats with food and items.

A really good post-apocalytpic gameathon playing them both back-to-back.

Do you know of any other games anything like them? I may well have missed some. Either that or more survival-orientated post-apocalypse games like Dead State (I played the reanimated version). Not 3rd person platform games like Dying Light. I was rather disappointed by that - it looked like something I'd like but I didn't know it was a 3rd person platform game. There's little or no mention of that.

Soldato
I finished it in the end. ~250 game weeks, maybe 300. I'm quite stubborn when it comes to games :)

Wow, I am not sure I actually have that staying power!

I can't remember the answer to either of those questions.

I did manage to kill them in the end after a couple of reloads. Engaging when my companions were out of the initial firing line kept them alive long enough for us to finish off the enemies.

It didn't seem to make any difference to anything in the end, though, which was a little bit disappointing.

And I did find the rifle too. I didn't realise you could lockpick safes if you didn't have the combination (just needed to raise my lockpick skill with the bunck of keys).

Do you know of any other games anything like them? I may well have missed some. Either that or more survival-orientated post-apocalypse games like Dead State (I played the reanimated version). Not 3rd person platform games like Dying Light. I was rather disappointed by that - it looked like something I'd like but I didn't know it was a 3rd person platform game. There's little or no mention of that.

Only a few come to mind. State of Decay (the first one, not the second) I really liked as a post-zombie apocalypse survival game. It's not turn-based like Atom, but it's not overly actiony either (you need to time some dodges and run from danger at times, but it's not like an aRPG in most ways), and there's character building, resource hunting, managing base and companions. It also feels quite desolate and hopeless for a while.

Survivalist I didn't get on with, but it could just have been the mood I was in when I played it. It seems to have the same kind of set up, but I just disliked the character movement and let it fall by the wayside quite early on. I get the feeling there is more to it than I discovered in my short time with it and I will try to remember to give it another go one day.

Encased I liked a fair bit. It's like Atom in that it takes inspiration from Fallout, has turn-based combat with two companions if you want to take them. It's got a bit more polish to its UI that the first Atom, but also feels lighter (perhaps more lightweight) and isn't particularly well balanced. I enjoyed it, but I much prefer Atom.

I will have to check out Dead State. It looks really good, but I have been put off by the reports of frequent crashes on Win10.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Had this in my steam library for a while and suddenly got the itch for a CRPG so installed it. Loving it so far.

I put all my points into intelligence and went for perks that made it go to 11. Not sure if that is actually the intelligent thing to do :p

What appealed to me was getting more skill points each time I level up. So maybe harder at the start of the game but will get easier as I play. I already upped my speach to 70 :D

Will read through the thread, but any tips? Especially from @Angilion as I recall you really got into the game :)

Playing it on Normal difficulty by the way.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I did a favour for a character in the first village, refused payment partly because I was thinking that reputation affects dialogue options and partly because I'm roleplaying someone decent and the NPC clearly didn't have much of anything (did I mention that this game is an actual RPG) and they gave me an old rifle as thanks. Sweet! I wanted a rifle. Punching rats to death is not my ideal course of action. But...they gave me a rifle. Just the rifle. They didn't have any bullets of the right type. Neither did I. Neither did any of the traders in the village. I knew the general idea of how to make bullets, but lacked the materials to do so and lacked the skill to do a decent job of it. And that's how it should be, in the context of that gameworld. So was I annoyed at having a useless rifle? No. In character, I was pleased at having the potential for a useful weapon. Out of character, I was pleased at having a very well made game.

Yeah, I did this too :D

Some raiders were "taxing" the village from a base nearby.

Yup. I found the rat, need to decide what to do with him :p

Hmm. First I heard about this game. Looks good. Might pick it up at some point.

Only took three and half years :cry:

Man of Honour
Had this in my steam library for a while and suddenly got the itch for a CRPG so installed it. Loving it so far.

I put all my points into intelligence and went for perks that made it go to 11. Not sure if that is actually the intelligent thing to do :p

What appealed to me was getting more skill points each time I level up. So maybe harder at the start of the game but will get easier as I play. I already upped my speach to 70 :D

Will read through the thread, but any tips? Especially from @Angilion as I recall you really got into the game :)

Playing it on Normal difficulty by the way.

I did really get into the game, but that was 3 years ago and I don't remember anything in detail now. The best tip I can give you now is to read through the thread for the tips from 3 years ago.

Only took three and half years :cry:

Isn't that what the combination of easy online buying,the plethora of cheap games and the huge capacity of modern drives is for? :)

It's not partiuclarly uncommon for me to be browsing a game sale on Steam or GOG, find a game I like the look of and decide to buy, log in...and find that I already bought it at some point in the past and never played it and forgot I had it. I've also done the "buy twice" thing by buying a game from one of those shops, not playing it, forgetting about it and later buying it from the other shop.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I did really get into the game, but that was 3 years ago and I don't remember anything in detail now. The best tip I can give you now is to read through the thread for the tips from 3 years ago.

Isn't that what the combination of easy online buying,the plethora of cheap games and the huge capacity of modern drives is for? :)

It's not partiuclarly uncommon for me to be browsing a game sale on Steam or GOG, find a game I like the look of and decide to buy, log in...and find that I already bought it at some point in the past and never played it and forgot I had it. I've also done the "buy twice" thing by buying a game from one of those shops, not playing it, forgetting about it and later buying it from the other shop.

Yep. Read it all. Plenty tips in there thanks to your detailed posts.

I am actually happy I went 11 on inteligente as I can respec later on. By then I will get all the bonus skills :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
@Angilion you screwed me!

One of your tips was being able to store stuff in containers or whatever and come back and it being there. Well initially it worked. I did it in two locations. Eventually when I got back to them after many quests all my **** was gone!

I guess they updated the game to make it more realistic? :cry::D

Man of Honour
@Angilion you screwed me!

One of your tips was being able to store stuff in containers or whatever and come back and it being there. Well initially it worked. I did it in two locations. Eventually when I got back to them after many quests all my **** was gone!

I guess they updated the game to make it more realistic? :cry::D

Guess so. It worked when I played it, back in 2020?2019? I stored lots of stuff in a container in the abandoned house in the first village for quite a while until I got the player base.

My installation got a bit weird as Atom RPG and Trudograd got mashed together as the same game and I stopped looking at patch notes anyway when I stopped playing.

Were you definitely using the right kind of container? I remember that when I was playing one type of container respawned and the others didn't. So anything placed in that type of container would disappear after a while but anything placed in other types of containers wouldn't.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Guess so. It worked when I played it, back in 2020?2019? I stored lots of stuff in a container in the abandoned house in the first village for quite a while until I got the player base.

My installation got a bit weird as Atom RPG and Trudograd got mashed together as the same game and I stopped looking at patch notes anyway when I stopped playing.

Were you definitely using the right kind of container? I remember that when I was playing one type of container respawned and the others didn't. So anything placed in that type of container would disappear after a while but anything placed in other types of containers wouldn't.

No biggie. I got so much stuff anyway that I don't feel it made a huge difference. I am level 7 now. Going to wait until level 10 and then respec. I get 30 skill each level at the moment.

Looking forward to getting my own place. Not seen anything like that yet.

Back
Top Bottom