Audeze Mobius - Closed Planar magnetic headphone, gaming headset, head tracking, bluetooth and more!

Soldato
Just done that firmware update. On the warm setting the treble/highs sound better, but that bass man. That is heavy but loses some of the detail I think. Will scratch the itch for bassheads though.

Yeah, they are like that at low volume, you need to turn the volume up, that opens them up a lot.

Soldato
Was wondering what you thought of them for gaming? I guess since we haven't heard back from you that they didn't pass that test either? Hard to beat the AKG for positional audio while gaming. If it was purely for gaming I know I would keep the AKG 712. For me in the end if came down to either buying the AKG 712pro with the AE5 sound card or the Mobius with it's own amp. Was working at almost the same cost, what swung it for me was Woodsta888's posts in this thread.

Associate
hi all...ive been following this thread with great interest. Basically im a gamer who also like to watch the odd youtube video .I dont really listen to music via my pc mostly through my phone whilst at work so my burning question to the likes of Melmac,Doug 2507 and Woodsta888 is would the mobius be suitable for me . i currently game using what a certain poster would call chinese trinket headset which cost me a lot of money via an poorer relation sound card to anything that Creative have ever produced.
I do own real headphones but my trinket is wireless so to me more practical. I am by no means an audiophile so can only say i like what i listen to because it sounds ok to me .My trinkets as far as im concerned to me sound just fine. I can tamper , tweak settings to get what i want but ive watched the mobius basically since its creation up to now really. Now in reality i dont need any more headsets but curiosity is killing me .
Would it just be a waste of money or might there be something even a small something that the mobius could give me that my current set up not. Im curious to know what the head tracking will do in games and what it could do overall to my gaming experience.
I could just buy some K712 and a amp ..some say this is a sweetspot for gaming but that to me is a bit run of the mill . If im going to spend the sort of money needed i would sooner i think get something that offers something a bit different and away from the norm.
I mostly play Post Scriptum and squad at the minute but all types of game on the whole.
Im not daft and i accept you guys can only offer opinions and thats fine ....if anything im looking for a reason to buy the Mobius and hopefully not to but it.
At the end of the day if i wa to buy the mobius and it soundede just a bit better than my cyrrent set up i would look at that as a result....all be it an expensive result ...lol
Also a part of me wants to buy the mobius just to say hey ive got some of the Mobius things and maybe in 5 years time could say yep that was were it all started ...if you know what i mean ..lol
Any advice for or against would be fantasic .Hope to hera from you guys soon....

Soldato
Hi Neil,

One of the nly reasons not to buy it is that for gaming its not really wireless unless you play single player games. Squad and Post Scriptum (both I play) both have a requirement for VOIP comms. YOu have to be wired to use VOIP in gaming.

Headtracking currently is only really beneficial for VR or untrawide multi monitor setup. BUT, I spoke to Audeze representative and they said in a firmware update they will be allowing the headtracking to be bound to keys. SO say, tilt head to lean or whatever you want.

WHy to buy it - Audeze NV Waves and the 3D surround is very good in these cans. I find that you can distinguish distance as from which direction the sound is from much better than my previous headset. For music also they have a good adjustable soundstage. You can input your head measurements for perfect reproduction for headsize. EQ built in and coming soon a fully customizable EQ in a firmware upgrade.

Will it be better than your 'trinket' headset? Only you can tell us that. Built into these phones is an AMP/DAC that has been specified by Audeze which 'should' be complimentary.

Treat yourself for xmas

Associate
Thanks guys for your reply.
I know that I would have to go wired for gaming but I would be happy to trade wireless for improved sound.
As for treating myself I'm all up for that but the Mrs is not really seeing it my way.... Lol...
Have you played squad or ps with the mobius yet and if so did you notice any difference to the sound?.

Soldato
i currently game using what a certain poster would call chinese trinket headset which cost me a lot of money via an poorer relation sound card to anything that Creative have ever produced.

Yes Mobius is much better than my older setup. Creative Zx and QPAD QH90's. Whether its improved over your setup only you can tell, as I don't even know what ^^ is!

Soldato
Lol.... I'm using the steel series siberia 800s through a xonar u7mkii. Just bought the xonar last week as my old one just broke . I personally like the xonar u7 but I know it does get bad press by certain people...

Wasn't around the weekend and just catching up on this thread now. Don't those headphones come with dolby headphone? didn't think you needed a sound card with them.

The Mobius are unique in the headset world. A Planar magnetic headset with head tracking. They are amazing for gaming, when you use the head tracking you can pin point other players much more easily. But, it does take a few days to get used to it but once you do you will find that you can't go back.

Look I could go on for ages about them but I would just be repeating most of what has been said above. My suggestion is go buy a set. You will either love them like me and Woodsta or not enjoy them at all like Doug.

If you have any specific questions, ask and I will try to answer as best I can.

Associate
Hi.. Yes the 800s do come with dolby via its own control box. If you want 5.1 or 7.1 you have to run them through a sound card via optical.
One thing that just concerns me is the mention of updates dome of you guys mention and that you have to contact audeze direct for them. Why don't they just put them on their website so you can access them direct?. Or do they

Soldato
Hi.. Yes the 800s do come with dolby via its own control box. If you want 5.1 or 7.1 you have to run them through a sound card via optical.
One thing that just concerns me is the mention of updates dome of you guys mention and that you have to contact audeze direct for them. Why don't they just put them on their website so you can access them direct?. Or do they

They are working on the updates as they go along based on feedback they get from users. At this moment in time there is no real need to put those small changes on the website as it is changing a lot. They intend to put up new a new software app and from that you will be able to download and install the updates as they are released. It's just at the moment the biggest request from users is the ability to turn off the head tracking when 3D is enabled and that is their priority at this point in time. As soon as they get that finished they will start working on the Audeze App improvements. So there is no need for any concern at all. And their support is top notch, they send you the firmware if you request it very quickly and answer any questions that you might have.

Soldato
What exactly is the problem with head tracking on and 3d at the same time. Is it easy to explain to somebody that does not own the mobius or have not worn them.

Nothing is wrong with it, but just some people prefer it off, others like it on and at the moment there is no way to turn it off if you have 3D on. I actually much prefer it on even when listening to music and I love it while gaming.

All they are doing is giving the option to those that want to be able to turn it off.

Soldato
To add,

So if you are listening to music and say changing direction walking about town - then the music moves around you. Manual 3D keeps the centre of the music in the direction the headset was pointing when switching on (or last centred). So turning left through 90 degrees the music will sound like it's coming from the right, and stay there. This is annoying when moving about.

3D auto re-centres itself to the 'general' direction you are looking in with a kind of lag that catches up. This is the setting for moving around as it recentres itself.

As Melmac says, I really like the 3D on for music. 3D off turns off the room emulation which incidentally is also adjustable in the software. In hi-res mode which is stereo I agree that it does sound very different. And if comparing proper headsets like AKG712's, to put the mobius into a comparable mode it doesnt sound that great( not that I've compared). But with 3D on, music does sound really good compared to it in stereo modes on the Mobius. In a firmware update I think they hope to make an off option. In the most recent update they added HQ that will tick the box for bassheads.

Over xmas I'm going to go into richer sounds and try some decent headphones to compare or see what's even better / audiophile grade played through decent dac/amp or whatever. I wanna know what decent stuff sounds like now. The Mobius has made me re evaluate the way I have been listening to music as everything I've been using in or over my ears so far, has been shy**.

A lot of the complaints about the mobius has been peoples very first impressions and not getting to grips with the many settings. HArdOCP did a beastly review when in fact they hadn't set up the mobius correctly for VOIP so user error in fact. They aren't plug and play. This is the first headset I have had to change the settings in teamspeak from default to get them to work properly. Some people have complained that the controls are too fiddly. Often these folk are internet audiophiles who do reviews. They are very different and do a lot. My first impressions also weren't glowing. But now I've had them for a few months, learnt what all the settings and options do. I'm really pleased with them. I think Audeze has done a really good job as these are an all in one solution. To perfect them they just need to make the VOIP work whilst wireless/bluetooth.

Last edited:
Associate
Just to let the guys who replied to my posts I have have purchased the mobius. Should be here this week. Now just a couple of questions for the guys out there.
It might sound stupid but are the mobius just plug and listen or will I have to enable stuff to get things working.?
Theses updates I've heard about. How do I know what updates are avaliable and if I download them will I be able to know if they are enabled or not?.
I could just YouTube stuff but you guys own these things so could tell me what to do. . As to say straight from the horses mouth... Cheers people....

Soldato
Just to let the guys who replied to my posts I have have purchased the mobius. Should be here this week. Now just a couple of questions for the guys out there.
It might sound stupid but are the mobius just plug and listen or will I have to enable stuff to get things working.?
Theses updates I've heard about. How do I know what updates are avaliable and if I download them will I be able to know if they are enabled or not?.
I could just YouTube stuff but you guys own these things so could tell me what to do. . As to say straight from the horses mouth... Cheers people....

Just plug in and listen. If you are attaching to computer use the USB cable. It has everything needed to work built in.

Go do the Audeze Mobius site and download the HQ app. Here:-

https://www.audeze.com/products/mobius-series/mobius-headphone

When you get the headphones you will be able to cycle through the presets by clicking on the microphone button and turning it. There are several presets, music, flat, default, ballistics, footsteps, racing and RPG. If the firmware update is already installed there will be another preset called "Warm" If it doesn't have the "warm" preset then you don't have the update.

And you are worrying too much about the updates. Don't. The headset works perfectly fine. Most people use the Music and Default presets. Just wait until Audeze releases the update publicly unless you find yourself needing a much more bass heavy preset. Then you just email Audeze and ask them for the update, they will send it to you with instructions.

Soldato
Just to add to Melmac's informative post. You will need to follow the setup guide from Audeze to get it to work properly regards VOIP for the mic. Every other headset is plug n play but the Audeze needs specific settings in Teamspeak/Discord etc. This headset got cained by some big name reviewers regards the mic. (Haven't re-read all posts to remind if you not interested in VOIP). The soundgate settings for the mic was also revised in the latest firmware. If you find the mic still too sensitive then a mic-sock does the job.

Other than that, definately get the update as it remembers your preferred EQ setting.

The Audeze blog will answer all your questions and those reviwers have raised in the past. http://www.audeze.com/blog

Oh, by the way. Blue sounds better than copper. ( Copper wasnt in stock at the time of purchase from my supplier). Make sure you say MErry Xmas to yourself upon unboxing.;)

Back
Top Bottom