Audi A4 S Line questions

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hi all,

I’ve been looking at these the past few days out of curiosity after seeing a number of S line and SE models on the daily commute (the LED strips and side profile are hard to miss in the mirrors!

Anyway, the costs & figures seem to be decent for the 2.0, for a big saloon anyway?

2.0 S line:
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=42160
3.2 v6 S line:
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=40071

The 2.0 gets 6.7sec to 62mph vs 6.2sec for the 3.2litre V6 S line version whilst pulling 39MPG (vs 31) and having 350Nm vs 330Nm for the 3.2. I’m not too clued up on Turbos and stuff so I’m guessing the extra torque is due to this? So does that mean then all that power will be there in the high revs or have Audi done something else here?

2qmnpr5.jpg

727i0y.jpg

Really liking the shape of these, wonder where my nearest dealer is :p

HYPOTHETICALLY If you were looking to change cars in the near future what engine would you pick (for someone who wants decent performance, decent torque and decent running costs) as there appears to be around 10~ different engine types across the model range (obviously around half are not that great by the looks of it)...especially surprised by that 4cyl performance considering the weight of the car!

P.S. no **** jokes :o

cje

cje

Associate
The 2.0 Diesel S Line (180bhp) one. A friend of mine has a new A3 S Line 2.0TDI and it's vry very quick, but also very economical.

Soldato
They do indeed look nice.

I would pick the 3.2 V6, I have a couple of reasons aside from it simply being more powerful. Which as you point out, it hardly has any advantage over the 2.0 turbo in terms of speed, but I am damn sure it will be more refined and smoother, and make a better noise when you want it to.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Are they really as dull to drive as people say? (I have only driven an old shape 2.5 petrol before and yeah...that was quite plain!).

Man of Honour
BORING car really BORING!

Interesting, I have been driving around in an B7 A4 S-Line Avant 2L Lard for the last 2 weeks and compared to my wifes saloon version the ride is MUCH better. I have always HATED the ride on my wifes car, its terribly fidgity and badly damped but this one is a whole league better.

OT but does anyone know if the S-Line had a 'Sports Suspension' option? If it does then I have one word of advice....

AVOID!

Oh yes the B7 is BORING and the new one is even more BORING I am told!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Hmmm I'm having some difficulty in understanding if you're saying it's boring but you like it (the lard) or that you were joking and it's boring all out? :p

Reviews say that it has optional adjsutable suspension where you can adjust the stiffness of the ride?

Man of Honour
Hmmm I'm having some difficulty in understanding if you're saying it's boring but you like it (the lard) or that you were joking and it's boring all out? :p

Reviews say that it has optional adjsutable suspension where you can adjust the stiffness of the ride?

I was being black and white for effect. ;)

I have a couple of B7's A4's, the previous model A4. My wife has an 07 plate S-Line Saloon 2L TDi. It looks nice, has a high quality interior and comfy seats but rides terribly, worse than my RS4. It jitters terribly, it rides bumps like something thats been invented to ride bumps in the worst possible way and rolls like a car that doesn't have stiff suspension. They have got it wrong bascially but having driven the same car in Avant format over the last 2 weeks THAT car, again a B7, was MUCH better in what should be the same car bar the fact its an Avant. SO what I am suggesting is something in my wifes car is wrong or she has some 'special' Audi sports suspension, which I have no idea if it was an option even though I bought it brand new! When I say MUCH better, I ONLY mean in damping and ride quality, it still handles like a boat and has the feel of someone with no arms.

Now, diesel B7 RS4's are boring. They handle poorly, have heavy steering at slow speeds and light at high, all wrong, and wallow and jump all over the place. A BMW 3 series is a MILES more exciting car to drive. The new one, and I have only driven one briefly is much the same and again when compared to a 3 series is pants and in my view the new A4's interior feels cheaper than the B7 I have. So its not improved on the stuff it had wrong and it has got worse on the stuff it had right.

Loose loose and a C Class or 3 Series are better cars to drive.....by some margin.

Man of Honour
The Audi A4 is a nice car. I liked it and found it difficult to find any serious flaws. It cruises nicely. It is built nicely. It looks nice. It has a nice interior. It is very nice.

The problem is that it's very nice in much the same way that tea and biscuits with the vicar is nice. You can appreciate the niceness but you wouldnt want any of it for yourself. I drove the A4 and liked it. I drove then drove BMW's and absolutely loved them.

If you want a well built tool for getting from A to B, then the A4 is a fine choice. If a car is more of a hobby to you and you enjoy driving, then both the new C Class and the 3 Series are considerably better bets.

Man of Honour
Thats the flaw with the A4. Why have a nice car when you can have a brilliant car?

In life, people prefer interesting or exciting to nice. It's a fact of life I know only too well, as its why it took me 5 years to get a proper girlfriend ;)

Associate
To answer the OP question.... the best engine IMHO is the 3litre diesel with quattro.

(and yes, I own one having test driven a bunch of others... albeit its an A6 Avant not A4, but same engine)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
This is just what I was looking for thanks for the replies!

I want my next car to be just as fun in handling and ride as the E46 coupe but have more power. I don't wnat another e46 coupe with a bigger engine though but something more modern altogether and the online reviews I read of the A4 said it was a better driver than the previous - checking here though shows it clearly isn't as great as the reviews make out!

I was under the impression though that the new C class was not as fun to drive as a BMW? or is it only certain engines? which one would compare to an E9x 330i Sport for example?

I really do like the straight lines on the new shape C Class you see but was a bit miffed when some people (elsewhere) said they weren't fun handling cars!

Last edited:
Soldato
How does a 1.5 tonne, 208bhp, big saloon car with automatic, get 39mpg?

Only when driving off a cliff?

MPG figures are a sick marketing joke :rolleyes:

i dont find it that hard to beleive, my 1.5 ton 3 litre 230bhp older saloon car gets mid thirties easily enough, and this audi is a whole lot newer and cas the benefit of being a turbo 4 pot....to crusie it doesnt have to be on full boost so a nice economy saving.

Back
Top Bottom