Audi owners in here!

Caporegime
Different engines and gearbox models will vary, I suggest you try before making a decision based upon one post. Most of the 'issues', or perhaps 'foibles', of the dsg can easily be driven around, if you know what you are doing..
But you shouldn’t have to drive around terrible software.

For comparison, my S3 has the one utterly daft foible whereby you plant your foot from a moderate speed, with the gearbox in S and the DS in dynamic, and the car essentially farts at you for a second whilst it builds boost and changes to the correct cog, it’s ruddy infuriating and can feel like you’ve hit a brick wall, awful. Now this only happens maybe 50% of the time (I assume when the box wants to shift down to a gear that’s on the shaft you are already on, say 4th to 2nd), but I’d much rather it drop to 3rd in that instance rather than wait for 2nd as this can make or break an overtake opportunity.

Easiest way to avoid is to not use S on the box (or use M), but it DOES sully the experience, even if you can drive around it.

I’d have expected the boxes to get better with each revision, but alas IMO they are getting worse as they get more complex and more “features” are coded in. Other than being a bit less refined, the DSG in my MK1 TT is actually a more consistent experience when pressing on.

Man of Honour
Different engines and gearbox models will vary, I suggest you try before making a decision based upon one post. Most of the 'issues', or perhaps 'foibles', of the dsg can easily be driven around, if you know what you are doing..
Idk...well I mean I'll probably go for a test drive, but imho, if I'm going to throw down £62k for a supposed "rs" tuned car, I don't really want to drive around a poorly programmed auto box. Stinks of a half-job.

Caporegime
Is yours DSG? I’ve wondered about clutch replacements on DSG.
What have you wondered about exactly?

I’ve found that clutch pack replacement on a DSG box isn’t massively more expensive than a decent clutch and dual-mass flywheel job on a manual box.

I got my TT’s entire DSG box rebuilt, including new clutch pack, fluids, filter, a check over of the mechatronic, and a replacement speed sensor on shaft 2, for around £1,500.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
What have you wondered about exactly?

I’ve found that clutch pack replacement on a DSG box isn’t massively more expensive than a decent clutch and dual-mass flywheel job on a manual box.

I got my TT’s entire DSG box rebuilt, including new clutch pack, fluids, filter, a check over of the mechatronic, and a replacement speed sensor on shaft 2, for around £1,500.

My warranty runs out on my A4 B9 252ps next year and I'm considering a remap and the DSG reliability is at the front of this decision. I'm quite risk adverse so doubt I'll do down the remap route, instead opting for extended warranty or a newer more powerful car.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Opt for an extended warranty, about £40 month all components £100 excess and fit a tuning box...

This is another option, but I'm not sure how much fun it will be removing a tuning box every time I get it serviced or go in for warranty work.

Richter Sport are 5 minutes from me who sell the ABT plug in box which gives 330ps.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought a house and an A4 Avant today :) It has my perfect spec, and more. The heads up display works very well, and I can't wait to try the matrix LEDs.

Picking it up on Saturday :)

N9WU8O4.jpg
au8sdUQ.jpg

Well it's been an awesome 3 years, and she's even taken us as far as Poland, but tomorrow she's being sold privately :( It's the first car I've ever owned that's never gone back to the dealer for any warranty work.

I'm really going to miss it.

Soldato
This is another option, but I'm not sure how much fun it will be removing a tuning box every time I get it serviced or go in for warranty work.

Richter Sport are 5 minutes from me who sell the ABT plug in box which gives 330ps.
Mine is a five minute job all performed under the bonnet. A tuning box might give less power, although the one I have has a custom tune, but I expect the more important torque to be similar. If you wish to protect a warranty it is the only way to go....

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Mine is a five minute job all performed under the bonnet. A tuning box might give less power, although the one I have has a custom tune, but I expect the more important torque to be similar. If you wish to protect a warranty it is the only way to go....

Which tuning box do you have?

This is what the ABT box looks like.
TmjpoEf.png

Soldato

TmjpoEf.png

I had the MTM M-Cantronic version of this on my Audi S1. It was a LOT better than the Burger Tuning box that I had originally bought.

The only non-OEM thing I ever experienced with the MTM box was that it made something in the engine tap. It was probably the valves but I don't claim to know, nor care, how engines work.

You'll probably need to remove the tamper-proof screws for the ECU in order to plug the harness in.

Last edited:
Soldato

TmjpoEf.png

That looks more like a piggy back box. I have a tuning box from dtuk and have also had other versions fitted to other models with good results. The MD of the company has sent me some more maps today which I am trying out. With the bluetooth app it couldn't be easier to change maps and settings. Over in the Audisprt A4 b9 forums a number of owners enjoy good results from this setup including the S4. Tuning boxes do seem to get some negative reports, however I suggest you try for yourself before judging them..

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
That looks more like a piggy back box. I have a tuning box from dtuk and have also had other versions fitted to other models with good results. The MD of the company has sent me some more maps today which I am trying out. With the bluetooth app it couldn't be easier to change maps and settings. Over in the Audisprt A4 b9 forums a number of owners enjoy good results from this setup including the S4. Tuning boxes do seem to get some negative reports, however I suggest you try for yourself before judging them..

Couldn’t find anything on AudiSport about DTUK on the b9 252ps.

Looks like a nice increase in performance to 302ps and 444 torque.

The ABT box is 330ps and 440 torque. I imagine they will be very similar.

Currently £404 with the app control with the Xmas offer seems decent. How does it work connecting it? I’m also guessing these are designed to work with 98ron.

Soldato
Not sure if anyone has fitted the dtuk box to a 252ps petrol in Audi-sport, but I will have a look, but there are other examples that can give some background and a impression of the resulting increase. You have a similar engine to my 190ps, only without the miller cycle and dual injectors, so the fitment should be the same. You can run whatever octane you like in the UK, personally I'm not unduly concerned about the small differences they might have.
If you can get to speak to Andrew in dtuk please do, although he is straight talking I have always enjoyed positive discussions with him...

Soldato
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm picking up a Q2 on Saturday (S-Line TSFI 150PS Stronic to be precise). I'm incredibly excited. I've never owned a new, or even under 10 year old car, and this is a 19 plate so it's going to be a massive step up for me. I'm currently driving an '05 Volvo S40...

I can't wait! It's probably not the peak of performance, best Audi ever, most practical etc, but a huge upgrade from anything I've ever owned (bar my lovely BMW 325Ti Compact :().

Hurry up Saturday!

Back
Top Bottom