Audi owners in here!

Soldato
Pretty jealous here, its my next planned car but I am trying to pay the mortgage off first! and you have got a good spec, and despite the "omg how much for a 3 year old audi 11!!11!" types its a good price.
It wont lose value massively.

I thought it was a good price, £37,750 with 2yr warranty. There simply wasn't anything else of that age, mileage and spec for the money.

Soldato
I thought it was a good price, £37,750 with 2yr warranty. There simply wasn't anything else of that age, mileage and spec for the money.

Any idea what your TCO will be over the time you intend to keep it (2 years?). I'd imagine it's not super cheap to tax or insure, and the MPG is sub 30, still not too bad though.

I saw one for sale locally (which we went to look at) on an 18-plate same colour with similar options, sub 10k on it at £39k but the thing that I didn't like was you could see that one of the wheels had a poor repair done to it, sad really.

Soldato
Any idea what your TCO will be over the time you intend to keep it (2 years?). I'd imagine it's not super cheap to tax or insure, and the MPG is sub 30, still not too bad though.

I saw one for sale locally (which we went to look at) on an 18-plate same colour with similar options, sub 10k on it at £39k but the thing that I didn't like was you could see that one of the wheels had a poor repair done to it, sad really.

Tax £475 a year
Insurance £400
4yr GAP Insurance through Admiral £333
Servicing is every two years, and I'm setting aside £500

I put £5k in and my monthlies are £350. I'm switching to a loan after 12 months, but that will require me to put down a similar amount as loans tend to max out at £25k

Driving back on the motorway I averaged 39mpg, but you put your foot down and you're into single figures lol

Full tank of BP ultimate when it was on empty cost me £58

Not sure how long I intend to keep it, but what I will say is that it's worth every penny. It gets a lot of attention! In fact, yesterday I had two neighbours stand outside my house talking about it, as did a couple of people at the petrol station.

This purchase has only been made possible as Audi honoured a pricing mistake on my etron order. I'm paying half what I should be, and the tax savings and other savings it brings me offsets half this car. I've cancelled my personal trainer at the gym and bang, I'm in a TTRS.

The funny thing is I don't think the etron will arrive until September, so the TT is being used to carry around a family of four! LOL, good job with the lockdown we rarely have to go out. The rear seats shall we say.....well, they aren't very good.

Last edited:
Soldato
You won't get anyone other than very young kids in the rear seats. Seriously you won't get adults in comfortably even if you move the front seats all the way forward.

We’ve just about managed. My son can sit behind the passengers seat and my daughter behind me. It’s ok for short trips to the shops and back.

Associate
It's a really nice spec and if you're going to have a TT, the RS is the one to have.
One of the most characterful engines in recent times (and plenty of grunt too)
Not driven one with the sports exhaust, does it make much difference? Always thought they were over silenced and needed freeing up to sound more like the old 2.2 5 cylinder.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
The 2015-2016 RS3 with the factory sports exhaust is as shouty as you’ll get with the modern iterations of this engine I think (with this model RS3 having the old cast iron lump and the newer models having the aluminium one).

With all the various new filters that get added with each release it’s dulling the noises down.

Arguably the sweet spot is the first release of the aluminium block as you get the lighter engine, higher power with least amount of noise deadening filters, but still with some.

But the 2015-2016 RS3 mentioned above can sound pretty obnoxious with the factory sports exhaust and set to dynamic mode :)

Associate
Should be going Stage 2 with my Audi S3 2015 soon. Going with MRC who get some great figures, generally goes from 300hp/280ftlbs to 400-420hp/420-440ftlbs. Pretty good gains for not a huge amount of mods!

Getting:
Intercooler
Full Intake
Turbo-Back Exhaust
RS3 Coilpacks
Uprated Spark Plugs

Soldato
It's a really nice spec and if you're going to have a TT, the RS is the one to have.
One of the most characterful engines in recent times (and plenty of grunt too)
Not driven one with the sports exhaust, does it make much difference? Always thought they were over silenced and needed freeing up to sound more like the old 2.2 5 cylinder.

Mines a '67 which was the last one before the emissions scandal which saw them fit the OPF? filter...which in turn tamed it down somewhat. It was the same story with the BMW M135i against the M140i where the former sounded much, much better.

It gives plenty of drama without sounding like a 90s boyracer coming out of halfords. You need to be in sport mode really, then you get the odd pop and crackle under braking when it downshifts whilst keeping the revs high.

They have somehow been able to give it a nice loud sporty sound without that awful drone you sometimes get when crusing down the motorway.

In a built up area it does sound rather amazing as the sound bouces off the buildings. People do turn around to see what's coming.

Sounds just like this at the end when it's nice and warm.

Soldato
Currently in the market for an A3 S Line - 2017/2018 -

I think I have decided to go A, Petrol and B, Manual (I would prefer Diesel and Automatic but the potential of DPF issue and Gearbox issues)

Annual Mileage estimated 12/13/14k (New circumstances so estimated) I feel I could get away with it due to the conditions of that millage but I'm not the luckiest individual and knowing my luck it wouldn't be enough to keep the DPF happy.

(Sorry I know this question is like asking how long is a piece of string)

Would a Petrol Automatic be less likely to have gearbox issues over the Diesel version? My logic is that Petrol has less torque and must cause less wear and tear unless they are different boxes?

Not sure what I'm wanting other than some reassurance really. I've just had the what if's and but's drilled into me that I don't want to find myself in a "I told you so" situation.

Soldato
Soldato
I believe they do a 1.4TSI DSG. Go for that, it is a very good engine gearbox combo.
On a 17-18 plate car I doubt you would have problems with the gearbox. You'd probably have some Audi warranty remaining as well.
Yes you are correct in that the gearboxes are mostly "worn" by torque. Power is simply a function of torque Read below more intelligent post

Last edited:
Soldato
Would a Petrol Automatic be less likely to have gearbox issues over the Diesel version? My logic is that Petrol has less torque and must cause less wear and tear unless they are different boxes?

That's going to depend on your engine selections - small engines like 1.5TFSI, 1.6TDI (and I think 1.8TFSI) will have a DQ200 dry clutch 7sp - these are the boxes that historically have presented more problems, though not sure if newer ones are as bad.

A 2.0TDI or 2.0TFSI will come with either the wet clutch DQ250 6sp or DQ380/1 7sp depending on age/model etc. which are all more torque capable and mostly appear to be reliable.

Generally if you see the engine torque is 250Nm or less, it's probably using the DQ200 dry clutch seven speed.

If you're looking at 150PS cars for example, in that scenario the diesel probably has the preferable gearbox, as it's over 250Nm and so gets the wet clutch gearbox.

Back
Top Bottom