Audi owners in here!

Soldato
Yes I've spoken to a customer relations manager who deals with complaints. Awaiting a call back once they 'look into it' but seemed really apologetic. I asked the question on why they'd be quite so angry, and whether it was because they have targets on closing PCP deals. She wouldn't confirm nor deny it.
Yeah, it'll be a retailer/group target rather than one from Audi HQ I suspect.

Soldato
I didn't even know you could do that on PCP, I always assumed there were heavy penalties for exiting early? Hence the standard rule of you can exit without penalty if you have paid of at least half of the contract value (apparently a note is still left on your credit file if you do this). Learn something new everyday

Associate
I didn't even know you could do that on PCP, I always assumed there were heavy penalties for exiting early? Hence the standard rule of you can exit without penalty if you have paid of at least half of the contract value (apparently a note is still left on your credit file if you do this). Learn something new everyday

You can pay the full balance of the PCP at any time and settle, but within the first 14 days you have a legal cooling off period - meaning you call up, say you exercise your right to withdraw from the credit agreement, and pay the balance plus however many days interest you’ve accrued (minuscule compared to the savings you’ve made from deposit contributions etc).

Soldato
They'll be angry because their commission from the finance company will probably only pay out once you reach the 3 month mark or something. By settling/withdrawing immediately, he's probably had his commission payment rescinded.

I think there are legally limits to how much can they punitively charge as an 'early exit fee' or similar if you want to pursue early settlement - usually the reason it's not done often is because a PCP will leave you in negative equity for quite a long time, so settlement fees at say 6 months in are usually well above the value of the car.

The 50% thing is related to voluntary termination, whereby you end the agreement and hand the car back - again, with PCP, you rarely reach the 50% mark until near the end anyway due to balloon payments. This is very different though - this is terminating the agreement and handing back, not settling early which is paying off the remaining balance in full (generally speaking).

That's obviously excepting these cases where it's taken out and paid early deliberately to access deposit contributions and is being paid off virtually immediately, before significant interest is getting accrued or paid.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a bit of drama with our local Audi garage this week. My sister in law just bought a new A4 from stock. Took the PCP to get the £4k deposit contribution and first service free. Called VWFS, cancelled the PCP and paid the balance. Nothing different to what I've done a few times before. This time however, she got a call from a really rather angry salesman who took it rather personally and said that she wouldn't be getting the free service and that she 'should really pay back the deposit contribution'.

She got flustered from his aggressive tone so I called them and had a few words. Head of Business called a day later, also with a less-that-stellar attitude! Unbelievable really.
Interesting - did you cancel the finance or clear it (with whatever nominal interest you had accrued)?

Any early exit fees will be trivial in the offset of the massive interest you'll save. I don't recall ever seeing early exit fees, at least not in modern times.

Associate
Interesting - did you cancel the finance or clear it (with whatever nominal interest you had accrued)?

Cancel the finance within 14 days so therefore pay the balance of the purchase plus the interest you've accrued while the finance agreement has been active (days at that point). Deposit contribution already paid at that point so you keep that. Depending on the small print you either keep or lose the free servicing (sometimes its wrapped in the PCP contract, sometimes - and in this case that I mentioned above - its agreed by the dealership and its with them).

Edit - PH thread on it here where others have done this previously. Not uncommon and VWFS knew exactly what we were asking for and sorted it there and then. No dramas at all from them.

Soldato
Possibly going to look at this within the next week or 2.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105072333844

So it might not have had the gearbox service yet. Hopefully the spark plugs have been changed and the Haldex serviced twice.

I know to look at the seats as they can commonly pull away from the casing, and water ingress into the boot is another common fault (how would I check this? Especially as it's been sunny/hot recently so might not show up any problems).

Also, when checking the MOT under outstanding recalls, it doesn't say anything about the fuel tank recall. Will that mean it has been done/not affected definitely? Or for some reason might be a mistake and will need it?

Any other faults/issues to look at?

Also, the thing I actually prefer with the TT compared to the TTS is the lack of silver/chrome. Is it easy/cheap to replace/repaint the wing mirrors, rear diffuser and possibly the front grill (at least the middle bit)?

Hey! I'm looking to get a TT as well, anything you've found out that might be useful? First time Audi buyer

Sorry! Missed this quote. ^ That's the only couple of things I know! Did you get one yet?

Last edited:
Soldato
Also, the thing I actually prefer with the TT compared to the TTS is the lack of silver/chrome. Is it easy/cheap to replace/repaint the wing mirrors, rear diffuser and possibly the front grill (at least the middle bit)?

I think you'd be unwise to get the originals painted - they are very expensive to buy new and you'll easily sell them for good money on eBay or Pistonheads. And, if you want to sell the car later, it will be worth less with colour-coded bits rather than the original aluminium bits. So you might want to consider keeping them safe. It will be MUCH cheaper to just buy standard ones from a dismantler and swap them out.

Man of Honour

Just get a regular TT, surely easier than getting a TTS and taking all the TTS parts off it?

Don
You can replace the trim easy enough to remove the chrome and replace it with black edition parts.

Won’t be particular cheap unless you scour scrap yards for them.

You can also swap the wing mirrors easy enough (I’ve done this on my BE TTS)

Soldato
And, if you want to sell the car later, it will be worth less with colour-coded bits rather than the original aluminium bits.

Didn't think of that, thanks. Replacing and keeping the originals probably best path then. I do plan on keeping it a long time, but of course any could happen where I'd need to sell it.

Just get a regular TT, surely easier than getting a TTS and taking all the TTS parts off it?

I was thinking that originally, but second hand prices have risen massively for them and instead of ~£16k a couple of months ago, they're £18-20k atm. For just a little more, the TTS offers more power/mag ride/super sport seats.

Would probably be easier to get them wrapped.
You can replace the trim easy enough to remove the chrome and replace it with black edition parts.
Won’t be particular cheap unless you scour scrap yards for them.
You can also swap the wing mirrors easy enough (I’ve done this on my BE TTS)

Ideally I'd like the wing mirrors matched with the tango red, so that rules out wrapped? but black would be better than chrome so possibly an option for the BE parts. Maybe sourcing from a breaker/scrap yard the cheapest way around it.
I wouldn't change things the moment I get the car though, just thinking ahead.

What about a TTS Black Edition?

Usually costs a fair penny more.

Don
It’s worth pointing out the TTS BE also has aluminium wing mirrors, so you’ll need to find a normal TT with the same body colour which sounds unlikely.

Edit: Or is the mk3 different with wing mirrors?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom