Audi owners in here!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Blimey, that’s a lot of car for the money. From memory, the S4 Avants have been going for 32-35k for a well specced vehicle

I think they pretty comparable in price. You need to go for a newer C43 to get the updated interior with digital dash, where as the S4 got it's interior updated in 2017. Personally I wouldn't go for a C43 unless it had the digital dash, and then the price does jump up a bit.

This S4 looks decent for example: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106053510318

A comparably priced C43 would have the older interior without the digital dash and the 367ps engine, not the 390ps engine e.g https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106163889601

Last edited:
Soldato
The biggest issue is a 2019 C43 is considerably more and the digital dash doesn't really add much i.e you're not going from Command to MBUX. The older system does have it's shortcomings but you can update to Carplay and a bigger screen if you really wanted to. Otherwise the facelift is negligible.
I sort of wish I tried an S4 before choosing the Merc but am happy with the choice.

Soldato
I think they pretty comparable in price. You need to go for a newer C43 to get the updated interior with digital dash, where as the S4 got it's interior updated in 2017. Personally I wouldn't go for a C43 unless it had the digital dash, and then the price does jump up a bit.

This S4 looks decent for example: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106053510318

A comparably priced C43 would have the older interior without the digital dash and the 367ps engine, not the 390ps engine e.g https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106163889601

The S4 is a pretty entry level spec, with no pan roof and red interior (which typically drives the price down.

I agree that the Mercs are overpriced, but the S4 avant, in particular, is very expensive considering you’re just getting extra boot space :(

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The S4 is a pretty entry level spec, with no pan roof and red interior (which typically drives the price down.

I agree that the Mercs are overpriced, but the S4 avant, in particular, is very expensive considering you’re just getting extra boot space :(

Yea it's not ideal. I did look at moving up from my 2017 252ps A4 Avant to an S4 Avant, but as you say most S4s are pretty poorly specced, especially as mine is an ex-Audi press car with matrix LEDs, pano roof, 360 cameras, keyless entry etc.

Soldato
Yea it's not ideal. I did look at moving up from my 2017 252ps A4 Avant to an S4 Avant, but as you say most S4s are pretty poorly specced, especially as mine is an ex-Audi press car with matrix LEDs, pano roof, 360 cameras, keyless entry etc.

Blimey :eek:

That’s a good level of equipment!

I don’t think that the upgrade is worth it personally if you already own a 252. With a stage 1 remap, as long as the power and torque figures are within the rated spec of the ZF box in your car, will offer performance not too dissimilar from the V6.

We know the EA888 will do at least 310 BHP.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

I don’t think that the upgrade is worth it personally if you already own a 252. With a stage 1 remap, as long as the power and torque figures are within the rated spec of the ZF box in your car, will offer performance not too dissimilar from the V6.

I toyed many times with a remap but the S-Tronic in the A4 isn't built to take much more torque. Also going on the Audi all-in plan which is great value, a remap wouldn't work with the warranty. Booked in this Saturday to get in on the all-in plan.

Soldato
I toyed many times with a remap but the S-Tronic in the A4 isn't built to take much more torque. Also going on the Audi all-in plan which is great value, a remap wouldn't work with the warranty. Booked in this Saturday to get in on the all-in plan.

Sounds like you’ve got it sussed - I’m sure the extra power would be nice, but realistically, 252 PS is plenty on the roads, and to upgrade, you’re probably going to have to shell out ~10k+

Soldato

I think the 252 has a dsg box, only the S4 has the Zf, as well as the higher powered 3.0l diesel but not the 252ps...

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Sounds like you’ve got it sussed - I’m sure the extra power would be nice, but realistically, 252 PS is plenty on the roads, and to upgrade, you’re probably going to have to shell out ~10k+

Yep the time to buy an S4 was back when I bought the A4. I look at cars occasionally as potential upgrades and honestly I'd have to spend quite a bit more to get something that truly feels like an upgrade.

I have toyed with the idea an RS3 next year, but depends on funds. Wife wants a couple year old Mazda MX5 next year and to open a new salon.

I think the 252 has a dsg box, only the S4 has the Zf, as well as the higher powered 3.0l diesel but not the 252ps...

Correct. The DSG in the A4 doesn't have a huge torque allowance in the spec which put me off any potential remaps.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh really??

That's really interesting - I wonder why they've done that? Surely it makes sense from an economy stand point to keep the production the same?
Same engine as the 190ps, same gearbox. I had my 190ps up to a quote 250ps and 400Nm of torque. The gearbox used with the E888 in the A4 is a DL382-Q https://tvsengineering.com/en/dsg-gearbox/dl382-2/
ABT, Audi tuning experts, can take the torque to 440Nm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom