Audi owners in here!

Associate
I do frequent RS246 but only worked out how to put pictures in posts today! Do have a few more. AGain apols for the size, I've no idea on sizing!

706153CF-DD71-47E8-A181-5A15B5816CF3-378-000000C3986E7980_zps8123ae03.jpg

485B2A3C-7C15-4A24-8E6D-C86BB9982185-378-000000C3DA333A44_zps08b35dcd.jpg

Associate
After 7 years of owning a modified Peugeot 306 gti-6 I decided it was time to move on to a car that suited my age a little better (35). Also the fact that the Peugeot was just about to cost me a lot of money, was cosmetically pretty war wounded and the interior had also seen better days. Whilst I would have loved a B6 shape S4 and have the funds to purchase a very nice example my sensible head was telling me it would cost too much to run and I’d probably cringe at the prices if anything went wrong. I am yet to purchase property so the whole priorities thing was on my mind a little too.

In the end I have ended up purchasing a 2004 A4 1.8T (190) S-Line in blue with 64k on the clocks, working air con (sorry, this is a novelty for me!) and three previous owners for £4900. It is fitted with Conti Sport Contact 2’s all round, unsure how these tyres rate though and I haven’t really had a proper chance to find max grip levels yet. It has an almost full Audi service history bar the last one which was carried out using VAG parts. Sadly I have no pictures at the moment as I picked it up just before I went away in May and have only just returned from my 5 week holiday yesterday.

I’m still getting used to the car but compared to the Peugeot it is very refined. It could never be any worse though as my Pug was rattly, loud and harsh curtiousy to the induction, exhaust and suspension mods. Whilst I am enjoying the refinedness I will be wanting to give it a little bit more oomph later this year. I knew out the box it was a slower car than the Peugeot but there is always room for improvement and with a little bit more money I’m sure it’ll be just as nippy as the Peugeot was. On that note I live in Hampshire and wondering who people would recommend for light tuning of Audis? I know of Regal and believe there is someone in Portsmouth too. I know many will probably say I should have simply purchased a faster car to start with but I really like the stance of this Audi and I have known the previous owner for many years and know he looks after his vehicles. It just needs a little more poke to get up to speed a bit quicker to be on par with what the Pug was, which was adequate for a bit of fun. On that note which Audi forums are worth joining with regards to this car and light tuning of it? By light tuning I mean something along the lines of a resonated / non resonated Miltek exhaust (haven’t decided which but don’t want to hear it droning at all from inside), turbo inlet pipe and a remap. A set of Ferodo DS2500 brake pads are on my list too as whilst the standard brakes are OK they aren’t on par with the DS2500 setup I had on the Pug. You can never have too good a brake setup, stopping is more important that accelerating!

Still I’m happy with that standard setup for now and it’s so nice to be able to drive around without horrible knocks and rattles. I am curious as to what blue it is, as in the actual name of the blue. There is a small chip on the inside of the front nearside arch that requires attention before any corrosion sets in. Lots to learn for me, still that is part of the fun of purchasing a new car.

So whilst not as nice as that lovely S4 posted up above at least I still purchased an S-line model that uses the 'proper' type of fuel :p

Soldato
I suppose it's about time I put some pictures up of my Audi. I've had it a couple of years now and as well as some major servicing / refurbishment I'm fitting a fairly comprehensive SQ based audio install.

P1000788Large.jpg

P1000790Large.jpg

P1000793Large.jpg

P1000795Large.jpg

P1000794Large.jpg

Work in Progress

P1010810Large.jpg

Before trimming

P1010848Large.jpg

WIP

P1010597Large.jpg

Soldato
I really liked that yellow S4, until I saw what had been done inside :(

Each to their own I guess :)

I can't have a quality hifi at home so I take it with me instead. I've spent months trying to find matching vinyl to trim the door pods and searched all over the world for exactly matching carbon fibre trim to make them look as factory as possible. Still looking though! Everything in the boot is completely hidden away under a false floor day to day. Again, I spent ages matching the trimming materials to the OE Audi stuff.

I've kept all of the original panels so a weekends work would put it back to standard.

Caporegime
But when would you ever need such audio equipment in a car? It just seems a pointless endeavour, that's usually reserved for the "Max Power" crew. And it's needlessly adding weight.

It's not as if the standard options are poor.

Soldato
But when would you ever need such audio equipment in a car? It just seems a pointless endeavour, that's usually reserved for the "Max Power" crew. And it's needlessly adding weight.

I suppose it depends on your definition of need. Do people need a 50" HD telly to watch a film? Do they need multiple titan GPU's to play the latest games? No, but it transports the whole experience to another level.

Please don't lump me in with the max power crew! They are more likely to throw in as much halfords tat as they can. I've carefully selected some very high end components, modifying them where required to improve their performance even more, and put hundreds of hours into constructing ideal enclosures for the drivers.

Sure, I don't expect everyone to get it, as very high end car audio is a niche market. A quick browse over on Talk Audio will show that I'm just playing at it compared to some though! I've spent a few grand on my install but some run into tens of thousands....

Caporegime
I don't think you can compare home theatre with car audio. For starters a car is an awful shape and stage for audio, throwing money at it is simply that, throwing money away.

How long do you honestly sit in the car listening to music? Not only music, but the type of music that really gets the best from a slight increase in definition? Even when I'm doing a 9-12 hour jaunt to the French Alps, I've got far more on my mind than wishing I had a little more clarity in my Prodigy.

You're right that not everyone will get it, but you spending comparatively little doesn't make the people spending tens of thousands any less daft. It's not only about the relative over-the-top-ness of that kind of audio equipment in a car, but the fact that you've taken quite a pure (and nice looking, from the pictures) example of a decent car, and ruined it by adding weight and "stuff" into your line of sight (those A pillars look stupid).

Soldato
notbad.jpg :) each to their own I suppose

still work in progress is assume! boot looks a bit mad but with a cover over it who'll know ;) I like the drivers door (minus scuff marks hehe), not toooooo sure about the A pillar speakers, I wouldn't have personally but it looks pretty clean job :D get that shizzle finished and polished up :D

Soldato

Exactly what i thought. Other than that, i don't really know what to say apart from "Set it on fire and start again".

Sorry that way to far - are you the god of automotive design or something, what you say is right - end of?

But from the outside it looks Stock? how often do people see the interior of other peoples cars?? someone if they are looking may see it for the couple of seconds it takes to get out of the car! he isn't driving down the street with his doors open, and the boot will look virtually stock, certainly not the 'max power' boff a bloomin great sub box in there ??

Actually the bog std audio in most cars isn't great, if you just sit in there turn something on - not bothered, drive, get out - then yes it's good enough

It's an S4, its got the ooomf to carry a few more K's :D (is he allowed passengers?)

I don't think you can compare home theatre with car audio. For starters a car is an awful shape and stage for audio, throwing money at it is simply that, throwing money away.

How long do you honestly sit in the car listening to music? Not only music, but the type of music that really gets the best from a slight increase in definition? Even when I'm doing a 9-12 hour jaunt to the French Alps, I've got far more on my mind than wishing I had a little more clarity in my Prodigy.

You're right that not everyone will get it, but you spending comparatively little doesn't make the people spending tens of thousands any less daft. It's not only about the relative over-the-top-ness of that kind of audio equipment in a car, but the fact that you've taken quite a pure (and nice looking, from the pictures) example of a decent car, and ruined it by adding weight and "stuff" into your line of sight (those A pillars look stupid).

In your opinion.
I used to have about £3k of home audio - surely a £200 superstore special does the same job?
I've stopped really listening to music at home, kids etc, I do now have a couple of £k of home cinema - nothing amazing, does the same job as a telly with a built in DVD would, I get a pic I get sound.
The main time I'd actually put music on and be sitting there to listen to it, is in the car. You can turn it up, and not have the missus or neighbors complain :)
A good car audio set up does sound the nuts, miles better that std car audio and would be as good or better than the high end options from Bose B&O etc, I've just looked, Audi's top of the range audio 'technology package' in an A4 is £2k+ so what wrong with him spending that now??
He also still has the use of the boot.
Why bother with leather interior?
Why have metallic or pearl paint - cos it looks better - pfft, waste of money
Why buy a nice watch
why buy designer clothes
why buy expensive whiskey etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
All
throwing money away.

Caporegime
Congratulations on addressing the issue that no matter how many "k's" you throw at it, a car isn't the right shape or build for a decent sound stage.

Hence the "throwing money away" comment.

Also, people may not get the chance to complain, but when walking or cycling, there is nothing more annoying than someone who thinks their music must be heard (and felt) by anyone in a half-mile radius.

Soldato
I love that Yellow S4, but I agree that sort of audio is a bit OTT unless you're competing. I have a subwoofer in my boot, uprated Focal speakers in the doors and an Alpine head unit and separate Imprint/DSP unit which I use for the parametric EQ, crossover and time alignment functionality. I'm very happy with how the audio sounds in my car considering the soundstage and environment. No, it doesn't come close to my Kef/Meridian/NAD home audio setup but I wouldn't expect it to. It's good enough for my reasonably critical ears, though :)

Back
Top Bottom