Aurora Borealis red alert for the Uk tonight.

Associate
Depends where you are I guess.
I went to the south side of the house and looked almost straight up.
I think there's too much light pollution around here for a decent show

Last edited:
Soldato
Got my 11 year old up to see them and he was mesmerised by them. That was about 11:40pm.

I was lucky enough to see them in Lapland a few years back in Saariselka in the Arctic Circle. Really nice to see them again.

Soldato
Our aurora watching was interrupted by the search and rescue helicopter airlifting a casualty from Arthur's Seat.
FNrjXF3.jpeg

Soldato
In Wales porthmadog... Not that much activity, check with my bro in the centre of Sheffield,wham!

Typical !

Last edited:
Soldato
If it hadn't been for 1.3s exposures (hand held and forgetting you have to manually focus DSLRs in the dark! :D) I'd have mistaken Macclesfield's display for something to do with the airport and high, thick vapour trails. A hint of colour in the sky maybe, at times but... not quite what I hoped for. This is life's way of saying... go to bed. Night all.

Caporegime
I nipped out to buy icecream and saw about 30 chinese students stood watching it through their phones..

Was just a feint green band at the time, and probably as good as it got up North.

Caporegime
It's better the further north you are, on theory.
IDK I see some really good photos on reddit, but I guess a camera changes the colours to highlight it more if you click focus, and then people are likely editing them again after.

was 11:20 though so I guess it was mostly over by then anyway

Last edited:
Soldato
IDK I see some really good photos on reddit, but I guess a camera changes the colours to highlight it more if you click focus, and then people are likely editing them again after.

was 11:20 though so I guess it was mostly over by then anyway
There were a couple of waves after midnight, I got some mediocre photos just now!

Man of Honour
It was only very faint for us from the north. Was strongest straight overhead.

Was 2 like curtains of it horizontal almost directly overhead coming from slightly northward, then to the south was 3 bands of it hanging down, to the naked eye very pale green with a slight purple background and almost looked like clouds except in peripheral vision and that they were changing in luminosity a bit. Annoyingly people a few miles south of me could see the 3 bands of it hanging down very clearly by eye and have some stunning images of it even from basic phone cameras but where I was for some reason it was very slight.

Man of Honour
Lol my app still says a 60% chance to see it in broad Daylight..,

Given some people on the south coast in the UK had a decent view, not just with a camera, last night it would almost not surprise me.

Was weirdly patchy here, dunno if there was some varying haze and/or light pollution involved but some people could see it really well and others like myself it was only just visible despite no rhyme or reason how far north people were.

Definitely the coolest thing I've ever seen, can chalk it off my list, now to find a volcano erupting and then a nuclear detonation

Ideally not in the UK.

Last edited:
Soldato
For some reason it isn't anything like some people are getting, even with basic phone cameras and no editing, dunno if there is haze here or something - it is distinct in peripheral vision but barely noticeable if you look directly at it. It has ebbed and flowed a bit over the last half hour or so.
Don't be to disappointed.. It didn't look anything like a lot of the pictures in this thread to the naked eye. IPhone cameras auto night mode massively ramps up the iso and colours to take a picture.. There was feint colours and you make it out but it was anywhere near the glowing spectacle it seemed. Especially in the South, north and Scotland I'd imagine had a much better view.

Back
Top Bottom