Aurora Borealis red alert for the Uk tonight.

Man of Honour
Don't be to disappointed.. It didn't look anything like a lot of the pictures in this thread to the naked eye. IPhone cameras auto night mode massively ramps up the iso and colours to take a picture.. There was feint colours and you make it out but it was anywhere near the glowing spectacle it seemed. Especially in the South, north and Scotland I'd imagine had a much better view.

I was nowhere near able to get pictures like people were posting on Facebook even from places 10-20 miles south of me, and on this thread, and some were able to see it fairly clearly if faintly while if it wasn't for it being distinct in peripheral vision you'd almost question if you were seeing it looking directly at it here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't be to disappointed.. It didn't look anything like a lot of the pictures in this thread to the naked eye. IPhone cameras auto night mode massively ramps up the iso and colours to take a picture.. There was feint colours and you make it out but it was anywhere near the glowing spectacle it seemed. Especially in the South, north and Scotland I'd imagine had a much better view.

Essentially this. From Northern Ireland it had some colour but if you allowed your night vision to adapt it did become more like some of the images here. A friend told me all they could see was some mild pink steaks, but they were further south.

Soldato
iso1600 / 60s exposure / 23:30 ... maybe it's them but not as we know it

53712022282_d613392112_b.jpg

53712021982_3371f22f15_b.jpg

Soldato
I didn’t think we’d get much of a show where I’m located - had a half-hearted look out the window at midnight and couldn’t see anything so I went to bed.

Woke to up friends and neighbours flooding Facebook with the most amazing photos. Bugger. :(

Associate
I stay kind of in-between Glasgow and Edinburgh, despite the light pollution I've seen the aurora once before years ago looking north from my back garden.

Never thought I'd ever see it directly overhead, that was unreal. At some points I could clearly see the reds and purple tones with the naked eye otherwise it was very subtle in colour. It was fascinating watching how it kind of builds up and ebbs and flows.

Associate
Got some good photos here in Norfolk. I was lucky and went to Iceland in February this year and saw the lights. Seeing the lights dancing in the sky with the naked eye is truly incredible.

The lights in Iceland are green. When I told them that in the UK we see them as pink, purple, blue and green they didn't believe me and thought I was seeing something else.

For anyone thinking of seeing the lights in Iceland just beware that it's not guaranteed because of cloud cover. When I saw them it was the first time they had been visible for a month!

Associate
Is it tonight as well. Gutted i missed it
Same. The first evening in weeks I decide to shut off all social media, news etc, I miss this.

I have now setup alerts in the hope i don't miss this again.

I guess there is a chance we might see it again when it darkens again this evening, because the solar bursts were the biggest seen since 2005, according to a couple of articles I've read. Fingers crossed.

Associate
Awh what! Typical for me to miss this!

Is it due again this evening…? Bristol based here, perhaps a bit too south.
It was seen in Devon (by my neighbours, I missed it too), so good chance it was seen in Bristol in areas with less light pollution. See my previous post about chances as to whether it will be visible again when it gets dark later.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bristol based here, perhaps a bit too south.

Was hit and miss last night for whatever reason - I'm ~27 miles south of Bristol and could just about see it, but some people nearly 20 miles south of me (around Dorchester) apparently had better conditions than I did. Possibly amount west as well as north helps a bit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom