Associate
Is there data to back this up, these fires are starting spontaneously all over andt place and pick up very quickly under the right conditions, heat and wind etc.

So again can they be put out by hand or numbers of people?

What is the point of this? What are you defending?

It is obvious that the best way to tackle these types of fires is by limiting the small fires as they start before they get too big to contain. Furthermore, if the fires are a regular thing the government should have been better prepared from experience - which usually means regular maintenance and money.

By your argument, Australia should have given up fighting fires a long time ago and hibernate to the beaches every bushfire season.

Soldato
What is the point of this? What are you defending?

It is obvious that the best way to tackle these types of fires is by limiting the small fires as they start before they get too big to contain. Furthermore, if the fires are a regular thing the government should have been better prepared from experience - which usually means regular maintenance and money.

By your argument, Australia should have given up fighting fires a long time ago and hibernate to the beaches every bushfire season.

Limiting the small fires?

It's like try to stop a tsunami. I don't think you understand how powerful and fast these fires spread under the right conditions, in reality there's nothing that can be done without a decades long project to create fire breaks around the country.

Caporegime
OP
9CXo3Z1.jpg

p2Vcott.jpg

QjMqMO3.jpg

9RQUjHG.jpg

Yeh but apart from fire breaks what can you do?

In a nutshell:

* infrastructure
* equipment
* staff

They pollute more per person than the yanks. Maybe these fools should stop burning coal.

We've been telling our conservative government this for years, but they won't listen because they're in bed with the fossil fuel industry.

Last edited:
Soldato
9CXo3Z1.jpg

p2Vcott.jpg

QjMqMO3.jpg

9RQUjHG.jpg

In a nutshell:

* infrastructure
* equipment
* staff

We've been telling our conservative government this for years, but they won't listen because they're in bed with the fossil fuel industry.

Such as what equipment, give me some real life examples, more fire beaters?

Caporegime
[URL=https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/118592356/new-bushfire-sweeps-through-new-south-wales-destroying-homes[/URL]
New bushfire sweeps through New South Wales, destroying homes

'A new bushfire emergency has broken out in New South Wales after a massive blaze spawned a new front threatening towns and multimillion-dollar regional properties in the Southern Highlands, 110 kilometres southwest of Sydney.

Homes have been destroyed at Bundanoon, Wingello and other small towns after the huge Currowan fire complex, which decimated coastal communities between Nowra and Bateman's Bay over recent days, jumped the Shoalhaven River late on Saturday night, creating a new blaze named the Morton Fire.

The spread of the fire was far greater than what the RFS had forecast under its worst-case scenario predictive mapping technology, highlighting the extreme nature of conditions facing residents and volunteers despite a cool change sweeping through NSW on Saturday evening.'

Holey moley :(
[/URL]

Soldato
The terrible thing is... I know i should feel shocked and horrified at the loss of life both human and animal and the damage that is being done to both man made structures and the environment, I mean dont get me wrong this is tragic, however all I'm feeling is an overwhelming sense of awe at mother nature unleashing complete and utter fury and devastation.

Soldato
It'd be better if they were just paid.

I'm terrified tbh. My nephew hasn't answered my nor his Mum's texts for 48 hours. We know that he's ok, due to contacts at his hospital, but he's still absent from work and instead putting his shift in (now unpaid - way over 30 days) in Fire & Rescue New South Wales. He's a brilliant stubborn ******* that would (and has) risk his own life to save someone's cat.

I don't think that enough people really understand what's happening over in Australia. The scale and size of the fires is, literally unimaginable. Hollywood CGI hasn't even comprehended something like this yet.

Caporegime
I wonder if there will ever come a point where Australia is simply abandoned, probably ridiculous, but if this affair becomes worse over time, I certainly would no longer wish to stay there. How long will the fresh water last for instance? There's already problems with water tables around the world and especially in Australia.

Will the Aussies suffer the cost of wide scale desalination, while expending hefty amounts on farmer subsidy, insurance costs and mitigating worsening environmental conditions? I'm entirely sure that with progress in technology these things will be cheaper and easier to deal with, but it still seems like hassle.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
A Facebook fundraiser has hit $20 million so far.

Such as what equipment, give me some real life examples, more fire beaters?

LOL fire beaters, I can tell you know nothing about bushfires.

Equipment such as:

* water bombing planes (these things cost $2.5 million a year each to lease)
* fire engines & tankers
* SSPE
* fire retardant foam
* hoses

The list goes on and on, I could be here all day.

Caporegime
It's half 3 in the afternoon here and this just happened:

gCv6OH9.jpg

No filters, no messing around with apps. This is Auckland, right now, and I've never seen this before.

(outdoor furniture in the yard because I was staining the deck, out of shot).

Soldato
The footage and stories are incredible.

People trying to flee affected areas in their cars but road closures mean that hundreds of cars and their passengers were left stranded on the road, exposed and vulnerable.

Footage shot from inside a "fire engine" as it was surrounded, almost engulfed, by a raging fire as the crew held fire blankets against the inside of the truck windows to shield themselves from the heat.

An interview where an elderly man told how the fire raced towards his house at "over 100k's per hour" forcing he and his wife to flee into a nearby lake where they were burnt by falling ash.

It's impossible to imagine what they're going through. From what I can see they're now completely at the mercy of the weather conditions, which is grim. I hope they get a break soon.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom