Poll: Australian Grand Prix 2017, Melbourne - Race 1/20

Rate the race: 2017 Australian Grand Prix

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
The problem liberty etc will have is that they've just made all the teams spend loads of money on developing these 'new' cars so they can hardly come back and tell them they now have to do y instead of x. I believe we'll be stuck with these while they mature for a couple of years. Hopefully Honda and Renault decide to develop the bejeesus out their engines though as they aren't looking good right now and we need another team or two at the front. We can't just swap silver for red.. :/

It doesn't cost any more to develop a car to new rules. Teams will still use all the computer power and wind tunnel times they are permitted whether there are new cars or not.

Soldato
It doesn't cost any more to develop a car to new rules. Teams will still use all the computer power and wind tunnel times they are permitted whether there are new cars or not.

I think it would in that they would need to carry on developing the current car as well as trying to develop a new one at the same time.

Associate
Wasn't it Michelins Indianapolis incident? If they had turned up with tyres that were safe everyone would have raced!

I'll give you Ferrari's Austria incident ;)

Ferrari still issued a 'no racing' rule after the final stops at Indy and just took it easy for the rest of the race. They played their part in making a disastrous race worse.

Associate
All those changes and almost everything is still the same. At least there's another challenger at the front, makes it slightly interesting I guess.

Soldato
I'm not sure what people expect from F1 sometimes, it's a one class race with only 20 cars and no refuelling so your probably not ever going to have loads of overtakes in the race. I do agree that it was odd choice of giving them more downforce and wider cars, which was only going to cause one thing. Cars do look really cool though.

Associate
Although the race wasn't the most exciting, it showed the Ferrari and Merc are on par for race pace and the Ferrari can manage their tires better. Having two teams racing for wins is so much better than the Merc dominance of the last three years.

Soldato
I didn't even make it to the first pitstops live, much bore, decided my time was better spent getting another couple of hours kip.
Watched the rest in highlights, even skipped through most of that.
Cars look brilliant this year, but that race wasn't much fun to watch, I'll blame that mostly on the track though, and leave judgement on the new regs for later in the season.
I will echo what has been said plenty already it is very nice to see more than one team genuinely fighting for wins. I just hope as the season progresses that these "fights" are actually on track racing and not solely pit strategy.

Don
I thought the race was ok, and the new cars certainly look a lot better (and have a lot of performance potential - although still seemingly saving fuel here). Agree with the FOM graphics being completely broken, although when they worked the "new" segment colouring is good.

Remains to be seen how good the racing will actually be, Vettel didn't really seem to have too much trouble following Hamilton imo, but following and passing are two different things (and probably won't know until we see a couple more races).

Associate
Well done Ferrari for producing such a good car. Looks good in traffic and easy on tyres. It's about time Mercedes were put under some pressure and not just disappear up the road. Very impressed with Bottas, what a first drive for the silver arrows. Lewis has two problems 1. He no longer has a huge car advantage. 2. Bottas. He is only going to get quicker. Disappointed about Red Bull. They just don't have the race pace at the moment. One thing that shocked me about yesterday's race which also indicated that there is something fundamentally wrong about F1 RACING is only the top six cars finished on the same lap. That's just completely ridiculous.

Soldato
Although the race wasn't the most exciting, it showed the Ferrari and Merc are on par for race pace and the Ferrari can manage their tires better. Having two teams racing for wins is so much better than the Merc dominance of the last three years.

It also showed that Ham hasnt matured at all over the winter - still whinges like a good'un on the radio :)

Glad that Bottas was able to close up in the 2nd part of the race, admittedly its not a given he will be able to continue doing this as Ham wasnt able to run away from the front, but should give the new guy a bit of confidence for the next few races.

Hoping once Redbull can find a decent gearbox Ricci will be able to mix it up a little too

Soldato
I thought the race was ok, and the new cars certainly look a lot better (and have a lot of performance potential - although still seemingly saving fuel here). Agree with the FOM graphics being completely broken, although when they worked the "new" segment colouring is good.

Remains to be seen how good the racing will actually be, Vettel didn't really seem to have too much trouble following Hamilton imo, but following and passing are two different things (and probably won't know until we see a couple more races).

I think Merc weren't expecting Ferarri/Seb to stick with Lewis as he did. So it wouldn't surprise me if Lewis was smashing his tryes trying to stay ahead and build a gap like the old days whilst Seb just sat there within striking distnace. Seb would've been able to tell that DRS wouldn't help him pass Lewis so he just sat back and left Lewis to it. (He had quite a few laps of DRS but still couldn't close up enough) I think this panicked Lewis and Merc into pitting earlier than they may have liked. Even though Lewis wasnt happy with the tyres it didnt seem like his times were falling away if i remember correctly. But that then takes us to Max after Lewis' pit stop. He might not have a fast car and i might not like him that much but he knows how to defend. He did the exact same to Lewis last year in Japan! He knew exactly the right places to defend from Lewis and succesfully stopped him overtaking. And if the RB could stop the Merc then i don't think Vettel in his superior Ferrari would've had a problem either.

Even so, we say we have following issues now i remember watching a race from between 04/6 where a Williams was gaining on a car in front by a second a lap or more but once he got to the car in front it was literally like he'd hit a wall. He was just stuck behind this car even though he was infintely faster. I don't think we've hit that level yet and like it or loathe it DRS has helped mitigate that.

Associate
I'm not sure what people expect from F1 sometimes, it's a one class race with only 20 cars and no refuelling so your probably not ever going to have loads of overtakes in the race. I do agree that it was odd choice of giving them more downforce and wider cars, which was only going to cause one thing. Cars do look really cool though.

Would be nice to see a bit less field spread. I can handle just a few overtakes in a race, but it should at least look like something *might* happen at some point.

Agree about the looks of the cars. I thought one of the kids had changed the aspect ratio on the TV when I first saw the width of them. They do look better now. Shame they had to stick those silly fins and T wings on 'em though.

Soldato
Unlike Sebastian 'Meltdown' Vettel, Fernando 'GP2 Engines' Alonso, Kimi 'Grumpy' Raikonen, Max 'Sainz wont let me past' Verstappen etc etc... ;) :p
Im not sure Vettel had a meltdown yesterday ...or over the weekend
Alonso was pretty tame given the ***** engine he is being forced to protect

Maybe they havent changed, but right now its only Ham that has been proven to be immature this season

Soldato
Im not sure Vettel had a meltdown yesterday ...or over the weekend
Alonso was pretty tame given the ***** engine he is being forced to protect

Maybe they havent changed, but right now its only Ham that has been proven to be immature this season

Sorry, i was referring to previous radio messages last season. :) Especially Vettel everytime Max was near him. :D Lewis is definitley not on his own with that though.

Soldato
No idea what you heard, but you seem like a typical "hater" of Hamilton. All I heard was him talking to his team about what is and is not possible.

In fact the only thing I heard this weekend that I thought wasn't good was Verstappen on the radio during qualifying stating to "Never send me out behind Daniel again, too slow" or something along those lines.

Back
Top Bottom