Poll: Australian Grand Prix 2017, Melbourne - Race 1/20

Rate the race: 2017 Australian Grand Prix

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Bring back V10's get rid of DRS reduce downforce give cars AWD and we will probably have good F1 action again.

I dont understand why they increased downforce this season where there was already too much downforce and aero not allowing drivers to overtake.

Thank God Bernie is gone and hopefully the new owners can salvage F1

No need to reduce downforce. Just make it about the floor of the car and mechanical like in WEC. Those cars have more downforce than an F1 without the aero sensitive wings, and can follow more closely

Soldato
good job Ferrari. finally a legit challenger to Merc

not sure why people say there is no way to pass. it's no different than years before (why F1 added DRS etc. to help) - both Force India drivers managed to do some great overtaking. Perez did a great job esp in first few laps

actually surprised that Bottas was so close to Ham. I suspect he was told to hold position because he was showing better pace than Ham. anyway well done Bottas for his first race in that team.

Unlucky for Grosjean and Ricciardo. Grosjean did much better than I expected.

Alonso was amazing with that McLaren to be in the points for so long was incredible. worryingly, McLaren don't look to have improved. it reminds me of Peugeot who tried and failed.

big disappointment for Red Bull and Renault. both teams were below my expectations, esp Hulk who had done well this weekend - I really expected a closer fight between Renault and Toro Rosso / FI / Williams. hopefully this will improve. any clue why Hulk had to pit 2x?

as for the "rookies"
- kudos to Giovinazzi, I get the feeling this won't be his only start this year. but the sauber is the new Manor now on the grid
- Ocon didn't have a great lead up to the race, but honestly did a good job in the race.
- Palmer and Kmag were not very convincing tbh. it's not their first rodeo so I'd start looking for other drivers if I were team boss just in case this becomes a habit
- Vandoorne didn't look very good either, but then again it is his first race in F1 so give him the benefit of the doubt
- Stroll makes me want to troll. enough said.

with tires lasting longer, seems like pit strategy will be a major deciding factor this year. that said it looks like 1 stop racing, Kyv managed 32 laps on Ultra Softs if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Last edited:
Soldato
Vettel showing he is much better than Raikkonnen.

Will be a good season. I wonder if things between Hamilton and Vettel will stay amicable.

Soldato
Why did they even have the "overtaking workshop group" years ago? They've basically undone everything they went for.
I'm surprised that the media are saying how good this was for F1, as it really didn't seem that way to me...

Looking down the grid early on in the race, it was the standard car <gap> car <same gap> car <same gap again> but this time the gap they had to leave to follow was a bit wider than last years...
Sure this is how it has been for years, but they've made a bad problem worse.
The most telling part was when Ricciardo went off and we watched him sit in his car for several minutes, missing absolutely nothing on track.
Sure it's a **** track, but... Worrying for the rest of the season.

Edit: I guess it'll at least be more interesting a season results-wise if Ferrari can keep challenging Mercedes.

What did everyone make of Bottas? Think he did the job he was meant to.

Soldato
Bottas did a decent job. Nothing more than that really. Don't think he's manage to overtake Lewis if he caught him. I imagine the team were probably having turn everything down once he got within 2 seconds of Lewis.

Soldato
Standard F1 isn't it? Boo the champion.
I don't support Hamilton but booing at events is bad form. The only time I've ever thought it was acceptable was Ferraris Austria incident and Ferraris Indianapolis incident...

Wasn't it Michelins Indianapolis incident? If they had turned up with tyres that were safe everyone would have raced!

I'll give you Ferrari's Austria incident ;)

Soldato
Wasn't it Michelins Indianapolis incident? If they had turned up with tyres that were safe everyone would have raced!

I'll give you Ferrari's Austria incident ;)
I think the issue with 'Ferrari' (read Bridgestone) was that Bridgestone had prior knowledge to the change of surface and Michelin were apparently unaware of it and were surprised by it when they turned up.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Watched the CH4 highlights, as usually it does a good job of cutting out the boring dross (lets face it, melbourne has never been an exciting circuit).

But Christ almighty, even that was boring, it was like they struggled for coverage.

Ecclestones removal, IMHO has been of his own orchestration, hes such a shrewd businessman he must have seen what was coming, so decided to get out before things went south.

Associate
Considering at the end of last year Massa had no drive with Williams as they wanted to replace him with Stroll, I think he's quite simply proven his worth with a fairly solid performance all weekend.

Man of Honour
Ive not watched it, won't bother. Found myself disinterested other than a quick read of Autosport after each session. It just doesn't compel me to watch anymore, the cars and racing do nothing for me. I think Ross Brawn will fix it, hope so.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Due to the clocks changing my Linux sat box messed up the recording. Started on lap 14, but what I did see I can summarise in a few points:

1. Ferrari race pace is genuine
  2. Merc will struggle for wins without track position as they are stronger in quality than the race
  3. Passing is harder than ever. Yawnfest ahoy
  4. DRS zones need a tweak to make them more effective
  5. Bottas is a solid driver
  6. Red Bull miss their trick suspension
  7. McLaren are nowhere. Again.
  8. lolStroll
They're reviewing the DRS zones after China, so there is hope of "some" passing, albeit fake ones.

Glad that there's more than one top team to fight for wins though :)

Soldato
Just give me wheel to wheel action and non artificial overtakes with loud engines and i'll be happy :)

sounds like you need Australian Supercars!

Ive not watched it, won't bother. Found myself disinterested other than a quick read of Autosport after each session. It just doesn't compel me to watch anymore, the cars and racing do nothing for me. I think Ross Brawn will fix it, hope so.

I've struggled to get as excited as normal this season too, happy enough to watch the ch4 highlights (which I actually think is pretty good), hopefully we're due a couple of good seasons soon to get the excitement back!

Man of Honour
The only passing we will see is in the pits and using DRS. Rubbish.

Ferrari might be closer to Mercedes, but I still doubt we will see much of any actual racing.

Back
Top Bottom