Poll: Australian Grand Prix 2018, Melbourne - Race 1/21

Rate the 2018 Australian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
"Horner wants parc ferme rules for engine modes" http://www.planetf1.com/news/horner-wants-parc-ferme-rules-for-engine-modes/

:D I have no words :D

Funny how when they were cheating and winning they had their mouths shut. Lets just have equal cars then and be done with it :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, with the new 3 engine rule, Mercedes would still win because no one would be able to turn their engines down at the end of the race.

and pre 2009 aero

Because that led to much more entertaining races...

Transmission breaker
Don
I think we should make all the F1 drivers race 10 laps in 50cc karts in the morning, then televise it. F1 is about the car as much as the drivers. There are single make series all over the world if you want close racing in similar cars.
Hell, I love watching the Ginetta Juniors when I want to watch bumper cars.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Bring back Ground Effect
and pre 2009 aero

Pre-'09 aero makes zero sense here for several reasons.

1) The cars were massively dependant on over-body aero back then which is the very thing you're trying to get rid of.
2) The cars are pretty much back to the 2007-2008 idea of spending vast sums of money on complex aero devices already.
3) Ground effect would mean that you can actually do away with the majority of the wings and winglets, since the floor of the car is doing the work of producing downforce.

Transmission breaker
Don
If you free up testing, then top teams will just test more and get further ahead with the budgets they have.

If you really want to close up the field quickly, give something back to the teams who need help. You need to un-level the playing field to level the field effectively.

1 days extra testing available for each position lower you are in the constructors championship?
Force information sharing of winning car's launch or mid season design to lower teams at end of each year?
Extra tyres/testing on race weekends for lower teams, on sliding scale?

Just changing overall rules that apply to all teams the same way will not change the status quo.

Man of Honour
The problem with a lot of the ideas suggested is that you penalise the top teams for their success. Mercedes has a great engine and even with the rule changes will probably still have the best engine. It depends whether we want a level playing field or not, I personally don't which is why I like F1. There are plenty of other series if you want the teams to be equal. As usual the FIA harps on about cost, whilst actively changing rules that cost a small fortune. I would happily see money pits go like the aero design of the front wing though - what a complete waste of money.

Transmission breaker
Don
The problem with a lot of the ideas suggested is that you penalise the top teams for their success. Mercedes has a great engine and even with the rule changes will probably still have the best engine. It depends whether we want a level playing field or not, I personally don't which is why I like F1. There are plenty of other series if you want the teams to be equal. As usual the FIA harps on about cost, whilst actively changing rules that cost a small fortune. I would happily see money pits go like the aero design of the front wing though - what a complete waste of money.

I am with you on this, my response above was sort of flippant, as it does devalue the show if you artificially make it level.

Man of Honour
I am with you on this, my response above was sort of flippant, as it does devalue the show if you artificially make it level.

It is definitely a difficult thing to balance. I would love to see more freedom in the rules, but then of course you will have an even bigger gap at the front and the costs will go up significantly. After all, F1 is about ingenuity as we have seen throughout its history. Make them all equal and the show is lost entirely. Don't even get me started on DRS :D

Caporegime
It depends what you watch for.
If you want to partake in forums and talk to (very few) people there isn't much apart from F1.

But I generally watch for the entertainment. Which F1 isn't at the moment. Last season that was good was nicos winning year. Even though Mercedes were up front the racing was quite good.

This year overtaking has taken a step back. I like it isn' aa level playing field. I don' l that a car can't Overtake.

If it is the track, ditch the track
If its the aero, change the rules.

F1 disappersf rom free to air next year so im not too concerned as I cannot watch it after that. But still a shame to end like this.

Ideally there would be a budget cap, the fairest way to neutralise the big teams advantage in spending. But I know it'll never happen

Man of Honour

Ferrari can't win on pace, so they will gamble often. On this occasion it paid off.

I like how he says that in future they will just maintain a bigger gap. Makes sense just in case there is an error, especially on tracks like this one where they can't overtake easily.

Why do we go to these tracks if overtaking is even more difficult. Boggles the mind.

Soldato
Ferrari can't win on pace, so they will gamble often. On this occasion it paid off.

I like how he says that in future they will just maintain a bigger gap. Makes sense just in case there is an error, especially on tracks like this one where they can't overtake easily.

Why do we go to these tracks if overtaking is even more difficult. Boggles the mind.

Don't worry about that as the "FIA open to using more DRS zones" :D

http://www.planetf1.com/news/fia-open-to-using-more-drs-zones/

Caporegime
They really don't want to address the actual cause of the problem do they. What a mess
The regulations state they can only make changes based on safety. Everything else needs a certain amount of notice, two or three years AFAIK unless there's a unanimous agreement. Will Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari agree to changes when they've spent a billion in the past four years and are ahead of the other teams and may win races this season? Of course not. There's talk Liberty will present their plan for the future to the teams in Bahrain, we'll see what shakes out.

Associate
I think we should make all the F1 drivers race 10 laps in 50cc karts in the morning, then televise it. F1 is about the car as much as the drivers. There are single make series all over the world if you want close racing in similar cars.
Hell, I love watching the Ginetta Juniors when I want to watch bumper cars.

I agree.

Ginetta Junior's are the highlight of the BTCC coverage for me. If only there was an equivalent race championship. Where current F1 drivers entered into an informal one series tin top championship using Ginetta G40's would be awesome. I could imagine it would boost viewing figures by some considerable margin. Ah well, dreaming as it will never happen.

The same with the original Formula Ford series before adding aero - Awesome!

Associate
Give them more engines and so they can push harder for longer. As it is they try for 2 laps and then just save the engine (which in turn they save fuel as they run them light) and wait for a pitstop.

If they had more engines at no extra cost to the teams, they could fill the cars with more fuel to push more.

Back
Top Bottom