Poll: Australian Grand Prix 2019, Melbourne - Race 1/21

Rate the 2019 Australian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
I wonder if ferrari will regret favouring vettel. What if leclerc comes up behind him 3 races in a row? How long do they force number 2 on him?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I’d be shocked if Vettel doesn’t already have #1 status written in to his contract.

There was absolutely no reason to instruct Leclerc to stay behind Seb at the first race, especially given the pace he had.

Can’t say I’m surprised though.

Soldato
Leclerc can change that, but he can only do it with performance. That means out qualifying and / or out starting Vettel to the point where it is simply not practical or it is damaging to the team to reverse the positions.

It isn't easy, in the same car against a top driver, but that's what's expected if he wants to be the number one driver.

Associate
I’d be shocked if Vettel doesn’t already have #1 status written in to his contract.

There was absolutely no reason to instruct Leclerc to stay behind Seb at the first race, especially given the pace he had.

I didn't see him catching and overtaking Verstappen. The gap was quite big and not that many laps left.

Better to save the engine and hold station.

Soldato
As per the above there are opportunities for him. He just has to be good enough to take them.
Yes indeed I agree, but if EVH is correct regards contract it doesn't matter how well he performs... Still it's all guess work right now, let's see what happens, we need to see a real battle with real rivalry not a season of team orders.

Soldato
Leclerc can change that, but he can only do it with performance. That means out qualifying and / or out starting Vettel to the point where it is simply not practical or it is damaging to the team to reverse the positions.

It isn't easy, in the same car against a top driver, but that's what's expected if he wants to be the number one driver.

Yup, the real fun for Ferrari’s new team boss starts when Leclerc starts out-qualifying Vettel and parking himself on the row in front of Vettel on Sunday.

Caporegime
Yup, the real fun for Ferrari’s new team boss starts when Leclerc starts out-qualifying Vettel and parking himself on the row in front of Vettel on Sunday.

A fading former champion who let the team down badly last season despite his rockstar salary or an exciting, likeable, young prospect with a bright future.

I can't see it be a tricky decision.

Soldato

There are plenty of reasons.

Points gain for Ferrari allowing Leclerc: 0
Chance of Leclerc closing down, and then overtaking Verstappen: 0%
Chance of Leclerc getting fastest lap without pitting for new tyres: 0%
Chance for Ferrari to turn down the engine on both cars due to no pressure: 100%

First race of the season and with plenty of rumours doing the rounds that Ferrari were already having to run in to PU problems, this action was the most sensible.

It doesn't matter how much I would have loved to see it, I can see it was a sensible decision.

Soldato
I didn't see him catching and overtaking Verstappen. The gap was quite big and not that many laps left.

Better to save the engine and hold station.

I thought it was a poor show and strategy by Ferrari to not pit him/Vettel and get the extra point for fastest lap. Even with an issue on a wheelgun they could have got them in and out before the Haas caught them and on the softs with low fuel I can't see how they wouldn't have got the lap.

Soldato
Yes indeed I agree, but if EVH is correct regards contract it doesn't matter how well he performs... Still it's all guess work right now, let's see what happens, we need to see a real battle with real rivalry not a season of team orders.

You're not reading the updates correctly. I'm sure that EVH is correct, but what we're saying is that there are ways in which Leclerc can render a number 1 status irrelevant. It all comes down to him being able to out-perform Vettel and, in most cases, outperform him to the extent where it would cost Ferrari performance or points to swap their positions. Out qualifying him and out starting him are two classic examples, and another is for Leclerc to be ahead of him with another team's car or cars in between.

Bottom line is that he just needs to be faster. The better performing driver will be the number 1 driver at some point during the season irrespective of what it says on a contract.

If you believe Mercedes then there is no number 1 driver in their team. Yet in Sochi 2018, Hamilton became number 1 driver.

Back
Top Bottom