Poll: Austrian Grand Prix 2018, Spielberg - Race 9/21

Rate the 2018 Austrian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Transmission breaker
Don
One of the things i have learned about F1 threads over the years is that certain people should just be ignored if their preferred driver does not do well. They come into these race threads, in a huff, and claim that f1 is "crap", "boring" or biased in some way. They hope to get a rise out of the people who actually like the sport, not just certain drivers.

Once you realise this, and ignore them, they will usually go away to watch simpler sports more suited to shorter attention spans like motogp or btcc :)

Soldato
The Mercedes choice was odd. I'm surprised Mercedes don't have a team deciding that if x happens at any given point, then they should do y (obviously other factors could come into play, but with the resources and hundreds of staff they have it seems odd they don't have a basic plan for any given moment).

I'm also surprised they miss the boat on so many things. Surely they have software running constantly for this kind of thing to model event types and actions.

Soldato
The track temp was higher than they'd been running in all weekend. If they don't have data then human judgement comes into it and any mistakes make it more interesting. They'll feed the data for Austria back into the model and it'll be less likely to happen again.

Soldato
Personally I now find it hilarious, and often wait till the race has ended before checking the thread to watch the flip flopping and toys coming out of the pram :D
Same. I don't bother with these threads during race weekends, but it's hilarious reading on a Monday morning finding the fickle morons whose opinions completely change from Saturday afternoon to Sunday.

Caporegime
Same. I don't bother with these threads during race weekends, but it's hilarious reading on a Monday morning finding the fickle morons whose opinions completely change from Saturday afternoon to Sunday.

The best bit is looking at the race ratings. Look who voted it a 10 :D.

If Lewis won, you can guarantee those would be 1's.

It is kind of sad to vote solely based on whether you favorite driver did well or not/ your most hated driver had a bad day or not.

Soldato

It is kind of sad to vote solely based on whether you favorite driver did well or not/ your most hated driver had a bad day or not.
even if hamilton won i would have still voted the same. maybe less actually as hamilton(im a fan) would stay on 1st throughout the race. him having a blow out what gave this race an extra point or two for entertainment

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

When I put together the stats thread it was interesting to see how binary some votes have become, i.e. races 18 months ago were rated low but hardly 1 or high (and hardly 10). Lately it seems like people are using the all-or-nothing approach to vote which skews the results.

I deliberately didn't name and shame but there is an obvious pattern there :o

Man of Honour
When I put together the stats thread it was interesting to see how binary some votes have become, i.e. races 18 months ago were rated low but hardly 1 or high (and hardly 10). Lately it seems like people are using the all-or-nothing approach to vote which skews the results.

I deliberately didn't name and shame but there is an obvious pattern there :o

I can confidently say this is the first time I'm saying this, but I'm glad I'm non-binary.

Soldato

I'd be interested to see the data, feel free to anonymise it...

Soldato
Once you realise this, and ignore them, they will usually go away to watch simpler sports more suited to shorter attention spans actual racing like motogp or btcc :)
Fixed that for you ;)

Simpler = better most of the time which is something F1 needs to realise. The fact the commentators have to explain the rules 2 or 3 times per race shows how over-complicated it is.

Transmission breaker
Don
Fixed that for you ;)

Simpler = better most of the time which is something F1 needs to realise. The fact the commentators have to explain the rules 2 or 3 times per race shows how over-complicated it is.

F1 is not meant to be simple. I love the complexity and levels of detail available to pour over.

If you want crash bang wallop racing its in the tin tops and bikes. F1 is a more nuanced and technical sport and that side of it is what appeals to me.

Soldato
F1 is not meant to be simple. I love the complexity and levels of detail available to pour over.

If you want crash bang wallop racing its in the tin tops and bikes. F1 is a more nuanced and technical sport and that side of it is what appeals to me.
I get that and that's why I've been sticking with it but F1 still needs actual racing. It's getting to the point where qualifying is the highlight of the weekend.

Soldato
F1 is not meant to be simple.

Nonsense. F1, like any sport, is meant to be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. For the vast majority, and the people that the owners are so desperate to engage, they want an hour tops of qualifying and 2 hours tops of racing. Not cars going around a track, cars competing around a track. Entertaining. They don't want to be weighed down by obscure rules and intricacies.

Somewhere in the world there's a tennis forum, discussing the tension of the strings in Roger Federer's racket, and how the number and depth of pimples on his shoes differs between grass and clay surfaces etc etc. Fantastic if you're the 1% that's into that, but it doesn't prevent everyone else switching on and enjoying a match.

F1 has always been more nuanced and technical if you wanted it to be, but now it needs to be a whole lot more in order to appeal. You dismiss MotoGP as crash bang wallop but there's just as much technology and detail as there is in F1 if you want to look for it, it is more accessible and the racing is so much better.

Transmission breaker
Don
F1 has always been more nuanced and technical if you wanted it to be, but now it needs to be a whole lot more in order to appeal. You dismiss MotoGP as crash bang wallop but there's just as much technology and detail as there is in F1 if you want to look for it, it is more accessible and the racing is so much better.

Better is subjective! To me, its like watching ants run down a twig :D

You prefer the bikes, I prefer the pinnacle of Motorsport ;)

Soldato
I actually prefer F1 but I watch both. But I prefer riding my bike to driving my car ;)

F1 is the self-named pinnacle of motorsport, much as American baseball has the self-named World Series. It has spent years being as good as it says it is. The new owners understand that it needs to be considerably better and provide more competitive entertainment if more people are going to be attracted to it. That approach is also what will keep the manufacturers interested in remaining in the sport - every engine manufacturer is in it ultimately to make more sales, whether it is through brand equity or simply performance.

Back
Top Bottom