AW3418DW best bang for buck uw?

Associate
Hoping you still get a AW3420DW, did you mention this?

that also seemed to cause some confusion, the tech support guy was trying to get me buttons which i presumed are on the 18dw. I gave him the service tag and serial off the back of the monitor and told him it was the 20dw but he didnt seem to understand.
Believe he mentioned he will organise a replacement new monitor instead of the advance exchange which are open box's? No idea. so if there are no 18dw's left, then I would hope it would be another 20dw. But at this point, id be lucky to have any monitor. Didnt even get to see it in action. just a totally dead panel. The power socket felt very loose and badly built.

Associate
It might
that also seemed to cause some confusion, the tech support guy was trying to get me buttons which i presumed are on the 18dw. I gave him the service tag and serial off the back of the monitor and told him it was the 20dw but he didnt seem to understand.
Believe he mentioned he will organise a replacement new monitor instead of the advance exchange which are open box's? No idea. so if there are no 18dw's left, then I would hope it would be another 20dw. But at this point, id be lucky to have any monitor. Didnt even get to see it in action. just a totally dead panel. The power socket felt very loose and badly built.

It might be a faulty power brick? Could they send you another? Does the brick have an LED status? If so, is that coming on?

I'd attempt to push for another AW3420DW. I'm not sure on the stock issue, they are still selling the 18 model.

Associate
well it seems my excitement was short lived, Monitor appears to be DOA. No power, display, lights or anything, When I plug the upstream USB in, just get usb connected and disconnected sounds.

Off the phone with dell support, No idea whats going on, First the guy said he would request a replacement and this would take 2 business days for approval then later said check my email in 3-5 days as I have to reply to the email for the replacement monitor. The guy didnt really fill me with confidence in dells reputed customer service and the idea of waiting another week after already having a week delay isnt fun.

anyone any experience with dell support recommended the best contact?

This may sound daft but is your displayport cable fully in? i had the same issue. I had sound etc, but no picture. I checked the cable and it looked in, and gave it another push, still blank screen, i took it out and plugged it in again and hey presto, my screen came alive and has been fine since. Mustnt have just been sitting in quite right or something, it seemed strange it happened in the first place.

Associate

I am wondering about these issues if i have problems with the screen, every piece of paperwork i have, including the service tag is for the 18 model. I've also been wondering what happened in the first place for us to get 20 models (not that im complaining). They are still selling the 18 it seems, although more expensive, there were some reports of them cancelling orders due to lack of stock, yet we get a brand new, nearly twice the price model for the cheap price???

Associate
This may sound daft but is your displayport cable fully in? i had the same issue. I had sound etc, but no picture. I checked the cable and it looked in, and gave it another push, still blank screen, i took it out and plugged it in again and hey presto, my screen came alive and has been fine since. Mustnt have just been sitting in quite right or something, it seemed strange it happened in the first place.

Just no power entirely, No LED light on power button, no display etc. Tried another power cord but no luck.
When I connected that weird USB downstream connector, windows starting making bing bongs like something was plugged in and then disconnected and it just did that on repeat.

Associate
So the actual service tag printed on the back of my monitor is the same as the one sent on the original invoice and links back to an 18 model. I might seek some clarity with Dell on these. The manufacture date is September 19, I assume these are all from the same batch.

Associate
Mines is the same, and when i called CS about it not working, When i gave them the service tag the guy thought it was an 18 model. Seems a bit of a mess.

Make sure you take a video showing the service tag on the monitor and then going out showing it's a 20 model. It's a bit of a strange situation this one, fingers crossed for you!

Associate
well an update, Took longer than I hoped but got a new monitor.

The swap order from dell exclusively mentioned the aw3420dw on the order and thats what arrived. It works this time yay, Power port on this monitor much better fitting than previous, suspect thats where the failure lied.

Has some backlight bleed in all 4 corners but only realy noticeable when going full screen on black, cant really notice on moving images.

One thing im not too sure on, It has what appears to be a dark dim across the top off the monitor, Ive read about it before and seems quite common. The very top 2-3mm of the panel is slightly dimmer than the rest, Kind of creating a shadow. Particularly noticeable across the chrome tab bar etc. Does anyone else have this?

Other than that, seem pretty impressed, runs 120hz no issues. I like the stand and the backlight from it but takes up a lot of space so i think its going on the monitor arm.

Associate
Glad you've had a good resolution and kept an AW20 too. I think the BLB is the same for all, mine certainly is, but only in synthetic situations. I'm now trying to figure out if I can see the 2-3mm top shadow you talk about or if your making me see things :D

Associate
Glad you've had a good resolution and kept an AW20 too. I think the BLB is the same for all, mine certainly is, but only in synthetic situations. I'm now trying to figure out if I can see the 2-3mm top shadow you talk about or if your making me see things :D

I only see it in chrome tabs, Cant notice really any other time, But the white/light grey tabs make a noticeable vignette towards the last 1/2mm etc.

Back
Top Bottom