Azhar Ahmed

Soldato
Ridiculous really. There is worse said in the street which nothing is done about. Plenty of people, of all races, colour and creed who go around spouting hateful things and get off free. Seems like he's being made an example of really.

Permabanned
If World War 3 started I'm sure the UK would fighting for the good of the world and I'd probably volunteer rather than be drafted.

However I'm not going to fight for something I don't believe in and if that means the Governmemt puts me in the clink then so be it. That's the price I pay for my belief. I'm am not the Governments pawn.

WW3 will probably be over fuel/money/power and being put in the clink probably wouldn't be an option, you'd most likely be forced to go as in tied up took to training and then tied up and took to war whether you screamed the house down protesting your beliefs or not.

Man of Honour
I think what he said was pathetic, disgusting and shameful. The reason why the soliders get more coverage than others is because they are British and we are in Britain. Taken to its logical conclusion we shouldn't report on somebody killed in a road accident because 10 people were killed in one in China, so that should be reported on instead.

However, I do not feel his bile fuelled rubbish should be illegal.

Soldato
Unless we are missing something.......dangerous precedent!

Ermm.
Although what he posted might be in the middle sentences offensive to anyone and to many people, I fail to understand what is illegal in his words.
Perhaps the 'soldiers should all die' comment.
He doesn't appear to be inciting, merely making a statement.
I can find this statement offensive or not, it doesn't incite me to kill.

I understand in the UK we have no freedom of speech act or law, and I understand the need to shut up mouthpieces who spew hate and compell others to act, but this statement doesn't fall int that category for me.

I think this will be throw out of court, and will have wasted cos time, court time and indeed police time, and all of it paid fr by my taxes that would be better spent elsewhere.

Soldato
But what Mr Ahmed said might be illegal, therefore he has been arrested. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

Of course freedom of speech does not remove any consequences from what you say. As for Mr. Ahmed if he wads arrested for what was posted here then the law is a farce. It's banal, it's badly worded, it's spiteful but I don't see it as inciting anything.

What is free speech?

The ability to say whatever you want however reprehensible that is legal. You may have to face consequences for what you say but if it is legal then you should have the right to say it.

I think Voltaire sums it up nicely:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Soldato
WW3 will probably be over fuel/money/power and being put in the clink probably wouldn't be an option, you'd most likely be forced to go as in tied up took to training and then tied up and took to war whether you screamed the house down protesting your beliefs or not.

Unlikely unless the world truly has descended into chaos and anarchy by then. If so I will take this approach...

Back
Top Bottom