Azhar Ahmed

Soldato
What a strange point of view. So you never feel proud when people win gold medals? I mean they are only athletes doing their job, or how about charity workers in 3rd world hellholes I mean they signed up for it right?!? The last time my football team won something I was rather chuffed I didn't go - "meh, just doing your job why should I get all excited."

No, not really. I don't care if Mr. Swimmer wins a gold medal or whatever. He's done well, granted, and he's trained hard and dedicated his life to winning that. I'm amazed at the commitment and dedication that he has. However, his winning doesn't change anything for me and doesn't effect my life one little bit. Why would I proud to see a sportsman winning something?

Sure, if my team wins then I feel happy but I'm not particularly proud of them.

In terms of charity workers, they likely make big sacrifies to their life in order to help others (in a 'proper' charity, that is). This selflessness is aweinspiring, sure, but again I don't take pride in their work.

If I went beyond the call of duty in my job/life, then I would feel proud of myself.

Soldato
OP
Oh dear, you should at the very least have additional respect for their bravery. People like you are the reason this country is no longer the strong patriotic nation we used to be.

How many assumptions did you just make?

I'd give my life for my country, but not for the crap wars we enter into. Pride isn't just about supporting my country and it's illogical decisions, it is about caring what decisions it makes and how it is perceived, hence why i started this thread. I don't want my country to become anymore of a joke.

I have pride, just not in your single minded Americanized view.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good Christ, it was simply a comment made on Facebook! Why on Earth are the Police getting involved? If the punk said something stupid that get's him in trouble, then to be honest, with the nature of his remarks, that's his own damn fault.

Frightening times to be honest.

didnt 2 lads recently get 4 years each for just posting on facebook. and some other guys got 4 years for stealing a pair of trainers. i think you have to be a GBHing/thieving politician to get away scot free these days.

Soldato
How does criticising the government even slightly equate to promoting cultural hatred? Besides, I don't hate everything the government is doing - I think Cameron et al are doing fine work reigning in multi-culturalism. I suspect that the arrest of Mr Ahmed is in part due to a change of policy in Westminster.

But what he said wasn't "promoting cultural hatred". Please post the passage you think promates such a thing if you think otherwise.

I would not want any family who had lost a soldier to have read what he wrote.

They don't have to.

The pride towards the armed forces is that yes they do choose to join, although in doing this show bravery and a devotion to queen and country.

If soldiers really do have devotion for their country then they would agree with me in saying that he should not have been arrested. If you cannot speak out, then this country isn't even worth defending.

Permabanned
How many assumptions did you just make?

I'd give my life for my country, but not for the crap wars we enter into. Pride isn't just about supporting my country and it's illogical decisions, it is about caring what decisions it makes and how it is perceived, hence why i started this thread. I don't want my country to become anymore of a joke.

I have pride, just not in your single minded Americanized view.

I made one assumption and in your reply you didn't even try to explain why you don't have additional respect for our armed forces.

Soldato
OP
I made one assumption and in your reply you didn't even try to explain why you don't have additional respect for our armed forces.

Because i would put my life on the line for my country aswell. I wouldn't expect it if the tables were turned.

Permabanned
We would all have to put our lives on the line if the government said so. The difference being they choose to do it without being forced, and knowing you could go to war is imo an incredibly brave thing to sign up to, and commands a lot more respect than most civvy jobs.

Soldato
If that's all he said then yes it's possible some people could find it offensive and nearly everybody should find it disagreeable but I don't see anything criminal.

So, essentially we in the UK live in a world where we can be arrested for saying stupid (but not illegal) things online.

Well thanks a ****ing lot Government. I look forward in the future to my thoughts being monitored. I mean I'd hate to be thinking disagreeable things.

Caporegime
But what he said wasn't "promoting cultural hatred". Please post the passage you think promates such a thing if you think otherwise.

"All soldiers should DIE & go to HELL! THE LOWLIFE **** SCUM! gotta problem go cry at your soldiers graves & wish him hell because that's where he is going..."

Pretty clear that's promoting hatred on its own - exactly the sort of hate the Westboro Baptist Church are guilty of promoting (fortunately without much success) and there's probably a lot more to this story and Mr Ahmed that we don't know.

Permabanned
Wrong. I'll fight for my country if she needs be but I sure as hell ain't fighting for the Government. Sounds like you're one of those who thinks the Government is always right.

So if a world war was to start and it was compulsory for every man over 18 to fight you'd just sit at home right? lol

Soldato
Fighting for the right to practice free speech and the opportunity to speak out is one thing - fighting for the right for someone to be reactionary, disrespectful and downright offensive is another.

Free speech is free speech. I'm against these 'laws' that curtail it in any form. Sure, if he was walking down the street shouting something full of swear words and targeting individuals then perhaps a section 5 arrest is justified. However, he posted his feelings on an internet website to his friends and associates (and those who wanted to find it).

If you find what he said offensive, then fine, don't read it again. He finds the lack of remorse shown by British troops to the indiscriminate killing of Afghan's offensive and should be permitted to speak out about it. I accept that he phrased himself poorly, but in no way should that constitute him being arrested.

Soldato
OP
I think if he had used better grammar he wouldn't be in this mess. I think he has accidently missdirected his criticism. But either way it is his opinion.

Soldato
Free speech is free speech. I'm against these 'laws' that curtail it in any form. Sure, if he was walking down the street shouting something full of swear words and targeting individuals then perhaps a section 5 arrest is justified. However, he posted his feelings on an internet website to his friends and associates (and those who wanted to find it).

If you find what he said offensive, then fine, don't read it again. He finds the lack of remorse shown by British troops to the indiscriminate killing of Afghan's offensive and should be permitted to speak out about it. I accept that he phrased himself poorly, but in no way should that constitute him being arrested.

I never said he should be arrested. And he didn't phrase himself poorly he phrased things offensively. Moreover, it is quite clear to anyone with a brain that what you post on the internet is for public consumption and can and will be used in that context. I often argue against the military direction of this country but I know that is not the fault of individual members of the military and certainly not their family members.

Soldato
"All soldiers should DIE & go to HELL! THE LOWLIFE **** SCUM! gotta problem go cry at your soldiers graves & wish him hell because that's where he is going..."

Pretty clear that's promoting hatred on its own - exactly the sort of hate the Westboro Baptist Church are guilty of promoting (fortunately without much success) and there's probably a lot more to this story and Mr Ahmed that we don't know.

So, "Soldiers should DIE" is promoting hatred...

What about "I hate soldiers"?

Or perhaps "The Taliban should DIE"?

he phrased things offensively.

So what? Everything offends someone, it doesn't give any weight to the argument.

Back
Top Bottom