Back garden - new patio (Indian sandstone) DIY log

then your deck aint built right, should have a slight drop back to front to help shed water.......then it wouldnt hold on the waterproof tape. next you will be telling me sheds/garden rooms etc etc dont need house wrap.
A slight drop would be as near as plumb on an individual board basis. You do you, but I ain't no mug paying £70 for posh gaffa tape to solve a problem that doesn't exist :D

A slight drop would be as near as plumb on an individual board basis. You do you, but I ain't no mug paying £70 for posh gaffa tape to solve a problem that doesn't exist :D
so why do you paint jacks black on ground contact pressure treated timber for then?? is it too help stop the rot of the timber for longer life?? because thats what butyl joist tape is doing for the deck timbers, but hey...

so why do you paint jacks black on ground contact pressure treated timber for then?? is it too help stop the rot of the timber for longer life?? because thats what butyl joist tape is doing for the deck timbers, but hey...
That's timber to ground contact, not timber to timber contact. All you are doing is creating a way for water to pool. It is snake oil made for TikTok builders because it looks fancy.

To add to this. Isn't the point of the tape, to stop the rain sitting on the top of the joists and penetrating through. No one is talking about wrapping the whole thing - just the top side to allow run off, in addition to a standard fall.

Last edited:
99% of people install the boards upside down.
I believe there is no such thing as "upside down" with groove/flat edges as I recall.

Anyways I'm not installing decking (yet! / this project..... Later for the garden room next year.... But I'll go composite for sure)

Moved over 4 tonnes of grit (/sharp) sand and cement ( 171bags) into position ready for mixing. I'll be doing a 5:1 mix with a little plasticiser in it.

Ive bought some prebagged larson primer rather than mixing my own primer with SBR.

LRKh5MZ.jpeg

Looking good.

At some point in the near future I expect SWMBO to order me to relay the patio here which is somewhere in the region of 100sqm+, down the sides of the house and to the rear.

I do wonder if a grabbo style lifter makes positioning large slabs any easier? Or if offering up once on the bed of mortar is sufficient.

Last edited:
99% of people install the boards upside down.
If you're implying the correct orientation is grooves down then thats nonsense. The grooves were originally designed to go up, but now they often come with ribbed one side and grooves the other to give a choice. The idea the grooves are for airflow is just internet misinformation, no doubt started by some DIY youtuber and regurgitated online for years.

Last edited:
If you're implying the correct orientation is grooves down then thats nonsense. The grooves were originally designed to go up, but now they often come with ribbed one side and grooves the other to give a choice. The idea the grooves are for airflow is just internet misinformation, no doubt started by some DIY youtuber and regurgitated online for years.

Nah originally it was grooves down, it came from the US were smooth decking is king and the underside is ribbed for airflow. People in the UK started laying it grooves up in the false belief it improved grip and for aesthetics. These days most of the cheap deck board here is only finished on the grooved side as apparently this is what we prefer in the UK.

The debate is fierce, its not just youtubers saying its grooves down :cry:

Last edited:
Looking good.

At some point in the near future I expect SWMBO to order me to relay the patio here which is somewhere in the region of 100sqm+, down the sides of the house and to the rear.

I do wonder if a grabbo style lifter makes positioning large slabs any easier? Or if offering up once on the bed of mortar is sufficient.
I don't think grabbos would work on these riven sandstone. They'd be fine /good for "flat" porcelain. Tbh you get used to it. 100 sqm will be horrible on your own!

Back
Top Bottom