Back garden - new patio (Indian sandstone) DIY log

Well done OP, looking good.
Its hard to see from the pics but i would also advise scrapping out any mortar in the joints between slabs the squeezes up before it goes off, it will make it much easier when you come to point it.

Last edited:
Hah fortunately there is a lot of trees /north facing as I like to sit in the shade....i think for pergolas you need to build a massive lump of concrete underneath.

Ive got another tonne of sand and cement coming today (45 x25kg bags) which hopefully is about right or slightly over.
Not really, its just securing the posts with sufficient depth of concrete underneath.

@Buffman be interested how much square meters you have and how much mortar you have had to buy for that area. What's your bed thickness?

Also where did you get the paving from and if you don't mind saying what was the price?

Well done OP, looking good.
Its hard to see from the pics but i would also advise scrapping out any mortar in the joints between slabs the squeezes up before it goes off, it will make it much easier when you come to point it.

Yeah I've left room for grouting/pointing. It's minimum 20mm depth on it.

Not really, its just securing the posts with sufficient depth of concrete underneath.

Yes whereas it's laid on a bed of sand/cement mortar..... It doesn't have that. Regardless i dont want a pergola.

@Buffman be interested how much square meters you have and how much mortar you have had to buy for that area. What's your bed thickness?

Also where did you get the paving from and if you don't mind saying what was the price?

Its circa 60 sqm and I've bought in total about 6 tonnes. Some of the bed thickness is quite big and up to 60mm in places which is why I'm using a lot! Should have put in more MOT!

The paving is from London stone and it's riven mint sandstone. I think i posted a link previously.

Back
Top Bottom