• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Bah, I can't decide what graphics card to buy. If any.

Soldato
But then I look at a 1070...and think that a 1070ti isn't much more expensive...and then think that a 1080 isn't much more expensive...and then I'm looking at £500+ for a graphics card...and then I think that's really silly and my 7950 is still working and tolerable for 1080...and then I play my FO4 with my ludicrously elaborate settlements and ~150 mods and it's really quite sub par...and then I look at a 1070 and....you see how this goes.

this reminds me of that drive through scene in 'dude, wheres my car' :p:D

Permabanned
It looks like you hang on to graphics cards rather than upgrade every gen or 2nd gen. Much as I might get shouted down I'd avoid the Polaris and go for a Vega 56. The 1070 may look compelling for the next 5 minutes but we all know how that ends.

Associate
Feel your pain. I want something a little bit faster than my R9 290, but to even get into the GTX 1070 club it's £350 minimum; £400 for a nice one. RX580/GTX 1060 isn't worth buying at £250 for a sidegrade. How can it be that 4 years on it's not possible to upgrade from a 2013 mid range card for less than £350!?

Vega 56 is hitting a stupid area of the market at £400 - right in GTX 1070 territory. Those of us on R9 290/GTX 970 have been in this position for well over a year now. AMD need to MTFU and grab the market by the balls by dropping Vega 56 prices into the £300 area.

Associate
Feel your pain. I want something a little bit faster than my R9 290, but to even get into the GTX 1070 club it's £350 minimum; £400 for a nice one. RX580/GTX 1060 isn't worth buying at £250 for a sidegrade. How can it be that 4 years on it's not possible to upgrade from a 2013 mid range card for less than £350!?

Vega 56 is hitting a stupid area of the market at £400 - right in GTX 1070 territory. Those of us on R9 290/GTX 970 have been in this position for well over a year now. AMD need to MTFU and grab the market by the balls by dropping Vega 56 prices into the £300 area.

This, exactly. I have a 290x which needs replaced due to a faulty displayport, but a worthwhile upgrade costs too much to justify.

Associate
Market is horrible right now, but I have been wanting to upgrade for a while to get back into PC gaming after a long absence. I am currently running a GTX460... yes that's right... Just ordered a Gigabyte GTX 1060 for £169 which should be decent enough card for some 1080p gaming for the time being. I feel that is a decent price for the performance offered (and around the same price I paid for my GTX460 all the way back in 2010...), just cannot bring myself to spend £390+ for a decent GTX 1070. I can afford it no problem but it just feels like a slap in the face to have such a ridiculous price jump for not that much performance.

The last 2 years I even got back into console gaming having not owned one since the SEGA Dreamcast, and all I can say is that my PS4 seems like an absolute bargain purchase for the amount of entertainment it has offered - would even say that Blooborne alone was worth the price of admission.

Still fully understand why some people are happy to pay current prices though, if PC gaming is your main hobby then it's still a lot cheaper than many other hobbies out there - but I feel like relative to this latest gen of consoles the point of diminishing returns in cost vs performance is the worst it has ever been.

I live in hope that by the time the next generation of GPU's come along the prices may come back down (I would buy a GTX1080/Vega64 successor for £400), but I can't help but feel that both Nvidia and AMD have re-positioned the pricing of all GPU tiers for good.

Man of Honour
OP
The problem is that graphics cards are selling well enough at the current prices. So why would they reduce the prices?

[..]Still fully understand why some people are happy to pay current prices though, if PC gaming is your main hobby then it's still a lot cheaper than many other hobbies out there - but I feel like relative to this latest gen of consoles the point of diminishing returns in cost vs performance is the worst it has ever been.

I live in hope that by the time the next generation of GPU's come along the prices may come back down (I would buy a GTX1080/Vega64 successor for £400), but I can't help but feel that both Nvidia and AMD have re-positioned the pricing of all GPU tiers for good.

I agree. They have already got away with it.

If a games console had a mouse and keyboard, I'd have bought one by now. Sure, they're not as good as a gaming PC. But they are adequate and far cheaper. You can buy an Xbox One X for less than the cost of a good graphics card alone and that console has been criticised for being too expensive. A PS4 Pro costs less than a midrange graphics card alone.

The sticking point for me is the input. I've used a console controller on my PC and I found it utterly dire. I tried it for a month. Imprecise and uncomfortable and that's just not fun.

If I had a choice between a new gaming PC or a games console and a non-gaming PC, I think I'd go for the latter. A really cheap PC is fine for all home use apart from gaming. Probably even a Raspberry Pi would do well enough. I'd far rather have a mouse and keyboard than a console controller, but I'm really not sure that's worth the extra £600+

But since I already have a gaming PC that's fine apart from the graphics card, I'm going to go with it for at least one more graphics card upgrade.

Since I don't have a mobile phone to receive an alert that a shop is selling a handful of cards at a much lower price (and even if I did I spend most of my waking life at work where we're not allowed mobile phones anyway), I have no realistic chance of catching one of those deals. I think I'm going to have to cough up for a card at the new normal prices.

Soldato
Seriously,you can get a GTX1070 for £350 to £370 right now from multiple retailers,for the last two days.

OcUK have a GTX1070 in stock for £350 right now:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kfa2...ress-single-slot-graphics-card-gx-09p-kf.html

This GTX1070 is on pre-order for £350:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zota...s-graphics-card-zt-p10700g-10m-gx-10r-zt.html

Its a Black Friday deal, just not moved it into section as waiting on stock, the ETA is end of this week.

The last deal has been around for the last few days.

You don't need to be constantly checking deals to get deals,many last for a few days!! :p

Heck,I don't configure my phone for any of this - I just do quick check on HUKD in the evening,as you can just look under the computer heading.

Also,to give you a rough idea of the different cards:

xQg0pVQ.png

I shopped around and saw a GTX1070TI for £410 - its not worth it. 10% extra speed for nearly 20% more outlay is not really great.

The GTX1080 deals with Destiny 2 for £430 to £450 at least makes more sense,since the game is worth at least £30,so once you take that into consideration its still worse value(or similar value) than a £350 GTX1070,but better value than a GTX1070TI.

Last edited:
Soldato

The R9 290/R9 290X were not mid-range though,they were high end cards,as they competed with the GTX780,etc.

The R9 290 launched at a much higher price though:

http://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-290-review/1/

It was around £320ish for basic reference models,and the cheapest non-reference ones.

The R9 290X launched at £400 to £450,and then Nvidia dropped the price of the GTX780 which meant AMD then undercut it with the R9 290:
http://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-290x-4gb-review/1/

The price only really started dropping significantly(like closer to £200)when the GTX970 appeared a year later:

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/74849-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-28nm-maxwell/

AMD then started dropping the price on the R9 290X,which in turn forced the R9 290 downwards in price.

You also have forgotten one other thing,this:

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/b...ound-to-us-dollar-exchange-rate-on-2013-11-04

In November 2013 GBP was worth $1.60,now its worth $1.33,which is nearly 20% weaker. The thing is cards are priced in USD,and as a result fluctuations in the exchange rates causes problems.

My other hobbies like photography have seen the same problem too.At least you have not been hit by the double whammy of Yen price increases and a weaker pound!! :(

A graphics card worth $400 in 2013 cost £250. The same card costs £300 today.

That £350 GTX1070 would probably be more like £300.

The RRP of Vega56 and the R9 290 at launch are actually the same:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_RX_Vega_56/
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290/

Although the Vega56 RRP is more a limited time offer! ;)

Also remember when the 8800GT was released?? The pound was worth TWO DOLLARS!!

An awesome time to buy new computer bits!!

Edit!!

In before I get accused of justifying any of the current pricing,I tend to buy sub £200 cards most of the time anyway,so it does suck,but its not all down to the card companies!!

Another consideration is Nvidia has had no competition for a year and a bit since AMD couldn't ship Vega 56,and it was delayed by 9 months. This is because Hynix screwed up with their HBM2 delivery schedule and AMD had to second source from Samsung,who probably are charging a ton for their HBM2,since they also supply other companies like Nvidia too so can charge what they want.

Then we also have all the miners buying the AMD cards,and when those ran out they started buying GTX1070 cards instead. The GTX1080 actually is meh for mining due to its GDDR5 so its why it actually dropped in price whereas the GTX1070 started going up.

Basically its been a perfect storm of AMD not being able to deliver on time due to technical problems,miners jacking up prices and the exchange rates going the wrong way.

I mean,TBH DDR4 pricing is the worst one now! I got 16GB of 2400MHZ DDR4 for £56 earlier in the year - its over doubled in price!!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Seriously,you can get a GTX1070 for £350 to £370 right now from multiple retailers,for the last two days.

Yes, I've seen half a dozen. Although I don't fancy the coolers on the two that you mentioned from OcUK at £350 and it's the coolers that matter most. If I can find a review comparing the performance and noise levels of the Zotac Mini with other 1070s I might find that I'm wrong. Something to do tomorrow, when I have more time.

You don't need to be constantly checking deals to get deals,many last for a few days!! :p

Heck,I don't configure my phone for any of this - I just do quick check on HUKD in the evening,as you can just look under the computer heading.

Which I have been doing. Also directly checking a couple of sites and a price tracking site for a big site I won't mention here but which we all know about. I see no reason to think I have any significant chance of catching any of the really good deals before they go out of stock.

Also,to give you a rough idea of the different cards:

By a strange coincidence, I was looking at that graph at Techpowerup just a couple of hours ago while looking for a review of a Palit 1070 Ti Dual and getting a bit distracted.

I shopped around and saw a GTX1070TI for £410 - its not worth it. 10% extra speed for nearly 20% more outlay is not really great.

Not really bad, either. Not when the next model up is £480 and about 5% faster.

The GTX1080 deals with Destiny 2 for £430 to £450 at least makes more sense,since the game is worth at least £30,so once you take that into consideration its still worse value(or similar value) than a £350 GTX1070,but better value than a GTX1070TI.

Yes, it is. And I would buy a 1080 at that price if I could. But I can't. I can see expired deals for that price, but that's all. Well, no, that's not all. I can see expired deals for 1080s as low as £382. But I don't expect to catch any such deal because the stock involved is obviously tiny.

Used 1080s sell for over £400.

I could postpone buying a new card until I either get lucky on an offer or prices come down after Christmas (if they do). It's not like my card is broken and I need a new one right now because I'm stuck with onboard graphics or one of the cards from my box of old bits.

Last edited:
Associate
Perhaps keep an eye out in the members market and find a good deal on a GTX 1070? its your best bet for 1080P imo (if your looking for a conveniently priced upgrade) as hardware is pretty expensive right now.

Soldato
Yes, I've seen half a dozen. Although I don't fancy the coolers on the two that you mentioned from OcUK at £350 and it's the coolers that matter most. If I can find a review comparing the performance and noise levels of the Zotac Mini with other 1070s I might find that I'm wrong. Something to do tomorrow, when I have more time.

Which I have been doing. Also directly checking a couple of sites and a price tracking site for a big site I won't mention here but which we all know about. I see no reason to think I have any significant chance of catching any of the really good deals before they go out of stock.

By a strange coincidence, I was looking at that graph at Techpowerup just a couple of hours ago while looking for a review of a Palit 1070 Ti Dual and getting a bit distracted.

Not really bad, either. Not when the next model up is £480 and about 5% faster.

Yes, it is. And I would buy a 1080 at that price if I could. But I can't. I can see expired deals for that price, but that's all. Well, no, that's not all. I can see expired deals for 1080s as low as £382. But I don't expect to catch any such deal because the stock involved is obviously tiny.

Used 1080s sell for over £400.

I could postpone buying a new card until I either get lucky on an offer or prices come down after Christmas (if they do). It's not like my card is broken and I need a new one right now because I'm stuck with onboard graphics or one of the cards from my box of old bits.

I have seen the Asus Dual GTX1070 go down to £350 too!! Regarding the smaller GTX1070 cards,one of my mates has this one:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-1070-aero-itx-oc-review,1.html

It actually is not too bad at all in terms of noise and general performance,which is surprising as it is tiny.

My mate had an HD7870XT which was based on the same core as your HD7950 before he upgraded,and at 1080p it was a massive upgrade. You need to consider its probably easily over double the speed of something like an HD7950.

I mean it is quite possible that during the weekend we might see a deal on the GTX1070TI or the GTX1080.

Part of the problem is that the GTX1070 and GTX1070TI use exactly the same memory,so it possibly is hitting that issue too. The GTX1080 uses significantly faster memory.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm stuck if to upgrade or wait till next Nvidia revision which is early next year ? Currently have Gtx 680 4gb which is still going strong but struggling playing new games at decent level on 1440p monitor.
1070 would be nice to get but I'm thinking rather to wait till 2070 next year, wonder what the price point will be for it.....similar to current 1070 price ?

Man of Honour
OP
Perhaps keep an eye out in the members market and find a good deal on a GTX 1070? its your best bet for 1080P imo (if your looking for a conveniently priced upgrade) as hardware is pretty expensive right now.

I've been doing that, but in the current circumstances used cards are selling for not much less than new. On a 1070, I'd save maybe as much as £50 buying used and I don't think that's worth it at that price range. May as well pay the extra and get a warranty and shiny newness :)

Used 980 Ti cards >2 years old are still selling for £250 and they're not as good as a 1070, so even buying an old used card isn't much of a saving at the moment. It's very much a seller's market, which isn't surprising given the continuing high costs of new hardware.

I'm going to resist clicking a buy button until Monday, to see if I can get any tempting deal. And until I can decide on 1070, 1070 Ti, or 1080. They'd all be a huge upgrade, so it comes down to how much extra cost I think the higher ones are worth over the lower ones. Vega 56 would be on the list too, but the Vega reference cooler is as much as 14dB louder than a 10xx card and that's a hell of a lot louder. More than twice the perceived loudness. That's a big point against it for me.

I'm stuck if to upgrade or wait till next Nvidia revision which is early next year ? Currently have Gtx 680 4gb which is still going strong but struggling playing new games at decent level on 1440p monitor.
1070 would be nice to get but I'm thinking rather to wait till 2070 next year, wonder what the price point will be for it.....similar to current 1070 price ?

I couldn't find any solid information about it at all. Not even what it will be. Is it Volta? Or is Volta not viable for a gaming card? The current Volta chip is huge and thus expensive to make with low yields. Can that be changed soon? Or will the next release be Ampere? And what is Ampere, anyway? Is it a modified Volta for gaming, maybe without the Tensor cores? Or a modified Pascal? Release date might be early next year...or not. Price will be...something. 2050/60/70/80 cards at the same prices as the equivalent 10xx cards would make sense, but it's still speculation.

nVidia isn't under acute pressure to release the next gen. 10xx cards are still selling well and at high prices. I wouldn't bet much on the next gen coming out early next year. Maybe it will. Maybe they have it ready to go and haven't leaked. Maybe...but I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Well, I finally decided and went with the MSI 1070Ti on offer from here at £420. More than a 1070, but less than the 1080 or 1080 Ti I might have talked myself into buying so I've sort of saved money :)

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Associate
I'm stuck on deciding whether to upgrade now too! I really want a 1080 deal to force my hand. Received my PG279Q yesterday brand new for £470 (so lucky!) and while my 970 is coping, I would like that extra push to get more games fps up to take advantage of the monitor.
Wasn't it only a few gens ago that top range Ti cards were £550+ or was I imagining this? I honestly haven't paid my attention for a while.

Back
Top Bottom