Bahrain Grand Prix 2016, Sakhir - Race 2/21

Caporegime
Watching the race live I thought that Bottas had been harshly dealt with, particularly as the incident was in the melee of the start where normally anything goes. Hamilton left too big a gap, looking to swing back from very wide to get a better drive off the corner than Rosberg (which may well have worked if he'd gotten a better start and there weren't so many cars close behind him).

I thought Hamilton's positioning was a classic example of Hamilton's flaws. After a bad start, he should have tucked in behind Rosberg, closed off the route past and played the longer game hoping for a chance to pass Nico later on. Instead he reacted aggressively and put himself in a position where he was likely to end up in an accident in order to have an immediate go at getting his place back and ended up being hit by Bottas.

Soldato
Im 50/50 on that incident at the start. Bottas easily got up the inside, and I think the post above about LH being very slow in, is right, which made it more easier for Bottas to get on in up there, but all in all, it was an avoidable accident so probably did deserve the penalty.

Calling a merc 1, 2.

Called it in the first race, calling it in the second race as well :)

I called it again though! Thats 100% so far :D (not hard though)

Caporegime
On the Bottas/Hamilton thing, It was Bottas' fault. "Failing to assume someone will come steaming up the inside having missed their braking point" is not a defense that makes Hamilton to blame.

That said, I think the drive through was harsh. We have seen first corner incidents pass by the stewards with no investigation before.

Soldato
I don't think it really mattered that it was a T1 incident or Bottas hitting Hamilton or a Williams hitting a Merc. It wasn't like Bottas or Hamilton were in the pack at T1 where things can be really tight so it is easy for contact to be made. Bottas was reasonable clear of other cars and simply braked far too late for the corner and caused a collision so deserved to be penalised. There is no point arguing a what if scenario as no-one can say what the outcome of any of the what if's would be.

I do think the penalty was a little harsh though, I would have rather have seen Bottas have a time added pit stop rather than a drive through.

Associate
Hamilton would have been looking in his mirrors for cars potentially coming up the inside. Bottas was miles back at the point of breaking and had no chance of getting anywhere near the apex of the corner in control and level with Hamilton.

Hamilton would have seen that and would not have expected Bottas to come steaming into the inside of him. So positioned his car the best he could so that he'd have been able to challenge at the next heavy braking point.

I'm kind of glad Nico won and Hamilton struggled a little, as it should make the next few races more interesting. I still can't see Nico coming out on top come the end of the year.

Hamilton seems calm still, like he knows it's going to come good in the next few races and he'll kick on from there.

Soldato
I think Bottas was at fault, but we've seen so much go unpunished at the start of the races under the idea that it's essentially expected, so was strange to see Bottas get the drive through...

Another solid race for Grosjean, really happy to see a good midfield contender in the Haas, altough the Manor has also seemingly taken a step forward, and/or the Saubers etc taking a step back at least. McLaren still being lolworthy.

As mentioned already, it's odd to think some people said Hamilton was crazy when he moved, yet McLaren have been screwing up one way or another since 2009 now.

I also think Hamilton will still win out over the course of the season, does need to get those starts sorted out though, in Melbourne he was dominant in all sessions upto the race and that poor start, not so much in Bahrain but his Quali pace was great, still he should've got at least second here, and the win in Australia, if the poor starts continue it's going to get harder to claw back.

Caporegime
I think Bottas was at fault, but we've seen so much go unpunished at the start of the races under the idea that it's essentially expected, so was strange to see Bottas get the drive through...

Usually where we've seen people go unpunished it's because there's been a chaotic mess at the start where drivers were dodging multiple other drivers at the time. Bottas was pretty clear of other drivers and just fluffed his breaking and caused an accident.

I think it was a harsh penalty but I can see where they were coming from.

smr

smr

Soldato
Nico Rosberg rather than Lewis Hamilton would have claimed pole position had the proposal been in place for Bahrain.

The German's two fastest laps in Q3 were quicker when combined than his team-mate's, who was only fourth fastest after the first runs after an error at the final corner. Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel would also have qualified ahead of Hamilton in second.

Absolutely agree with Seb - this aggregate system would be complete ****.

It would really eff up Hamilton as well - he often does a pretty crap first lap in qually then goes beast mode on the final lap of q3.

Soldato
Nico Rosberg rather than Lewis Hamilton would have claimed pole position had the proposal been in place for Bahrain.

The German's two fastest laps in Q3 were quicker when combined than his team-mate's, who was only fourth fastest after the first runs after an error at the final corner. Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel would also have qualified ahead of Hamilton in second.

Absolutely agree with Seb - this aggregate system would be complete ****.

It would really eff up Hamilton as well - he often does a pretty crap first lap in qually then goes beast mode on the final lap of q3.

how would it? they dont base qualifying on average lap times, they based on who got the quickest single lap .

what am i missing from your statement?

Soldato
They may as well just draw straws or have a lottery as that seems like what they are trying to do with all these changes anyway. :p

Maybe Todt and Bernie are trying to use this whole thing as a stick to beat the teams with to get Bernies other engine plan back on the table. i.e. we'll go back to the old format if you reconsider these guff old engines again. :D

smr

smr

Soldato
Awesome start by Stoffel. Did well to keep his nose clean especially after the stuttering Torro Rosso.

https://vid.me/2R48

And awesome overtake by Button at T10 overtaking three cars :D

edit - and :o at the last corner -- Stoffel outbreaking himself and getting mugged by two drivers, when he came back on the track he was lucky not to hit anyone.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Grosjean makes a good point about the aggregate stupidness. Does F1 really want to introduce a system where they give pole position to a guy who isn't the fastest?

Back
Top Bottom