Poll: Bahrain Grand Prix 2019, Sakhir - Race 2/21

Rate the 2019 Bahrain Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Artifical aids, drs, bigger kers boost the further down grid you are random weather events etc etc
Like touring cars with ballast. Things like that
You can't call current F1 "mario kart" and then propose that the back markers should get a bigger kers boost or even random weather events!

What next, a blue shell for the guy at the back? :D:p

Soldato
Did anyone else feel the safety car call with ~4 laps to go was possibly a bit politicial to save Leclercs podium?
I did think that to start with, but when they showed the long shot from past T3 looking back to T1 you could see Ricciardo's car was in a bit of a dodgy place. If there was a Maldonado/Gutierrez or Stroll/Sainz incident they may have hit it.

Also, the car was still holding all the electrical charge as noted by the red light over the drivers head, so Ricciardo pretty much jumped out of it and didn't put the steering wheel back on. The marshalls were reluctant to touch it to push it out of the way for the same reason. Given that, it's understandable that race control simply decided to end the race under the SC.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You can't call current F1 "mario kart" and then propose that the back markers should get a bigger kers boost or even random weather events!

What next, a blue shell for the guy at the back? :D:p

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't mind if it's Mario kart..ive accepted its pay to win. May as well. Let loose those blue spineys :D

Soldato
Did anyone else feel the safety car call with ~4 laps to go was possibly a bit politicial to save Leclercs podium?

I don't begrudge Leclrec that podium as he deserved the top step and giving him my support this year (alongside LH) and don't disagree that the Renaults parked up off the track needed the cars to slow down but surely if this had been mid race the virtual safety car would have been the normal call. By employing the real safety car which takes time for cars to form up behind it then another lap (after track cleared) with lights off ensured the race finished under the safety car and Leclerc his 3rd place which otherwise was likley to become 5th.

I thought that briefly, then I realised it would be hypocritical of me to do so, as I've consistently believed that Whiting & co erred by not deploying the safety car that then subsequently led to Bianchi's accident and death. Different conditions, but the same principle applies for me. The ability to apply additional safety for the drivers and marshals was in the gift of the race director, and he exercised it.

Man of Honour

I don't begrudge Leclrec that podium as he deserved the top step and giving him my support this year (alongside LH) and don't disagree that the Renaults parked up off the track needed the cars to slow down but surely if this had been mid race the virtual safety car would have been the normal call. By employing the real safety car which takes time for cars to form up behind it then another lap (after track cleared) with lights off ensured the race finished under the safety car and Leclerc his 3rd place which otherwise was likley to become 5th.

No, two cars in a precarious place. They just can’t risk something happening. It was frustrating, but I don’t think there was more to it.

Man of Honour

No, since the Bianchi tragedy, they will always be overly cautious with stuff like that. Just not worth the risk

Man of Honour
No, two cars in a precarious place. They just can’t risk something happening. It was frustrating, but I don’t think there was more to it.

With one of them still electrically live as the KERS system didn't go into safe mode.

That's why they left Ricciardos car alone.

Caporegime
Nope, probably someone who is against Ferrari ruining Leclerc's race(s) by team orders to stay behind Vettel. If Leclerc had stayed behind Vettel, it could have been a complete disaster for the team.

So 3 seconds of the race, which had no effect because Leclerc passed him anyway and all the other great things that happened in the race don't matter because of that one radio message, and thus it's only worth a 1 out of 10? lol.

Permabanned
So 3 seconds of the race, which had no effect because Leclerc passed him anyway and all the other great things that happened in the race don't matter because of that one radio message, and thus it's only worth a 1 out of 10? lol.

It's worth no comment. Which I will activate now.

Soldato
Nope, probably someone who is against Ferrari ruining Leclerc's race(s) by team orders to stay behind Vettel. If Leclerc had stayed behind Vettel, it could have been a complete disaster for the team.
Was Leclerc ordered to stay behind Vettel at the weekend? If so I must have missed it. Or are you just referring to Aus?

Good race on the whole, rated it an 8. Feel sorry for Leclerc with the engine issues, but great to see him have an otherwise faultless weekend. Bodes well for the rest of the season.

Soldato
I watched an interesting documentary series on Netflix called "Formula 1 Drive to Survive". Each week it looked at different drivers and teams and how they did in the 2018-2019 season. Having seen that series, I can't help but detest Christian Horner that little but more now. I think he likes the sound of his own voice and is quite the politician when questioned on anything which he seems to revel in. I see now with more behind the scenes footage and interviews/talks, that the treatment that Daniel Ricciardo got was pretty disgusting, prioritising Max throughout the season. It was always all about Max.

The fall out between Renault and Redbull was pretty cringe worthy and I felt Christian was totally unprofessional and disrespectful publicly to Renault head Cyril Abiteboul.

Renault need to fix things fast though. Daniel had no where else to go for a seat sadly. I hope Renault get back on track given they are also powering the Mclarens which seem to be showing signs of improvement in aero/chassis.

Caporegime
Vettel is considering his future in F1: ‘It’s now more show than sport’

I actually agree with Vettel here but unlike him it's something I've been saying ever since DRS was introduced and probably before for not punishing poor driving and mistakes because of excessive runoff areas and wanting to keep cars in the race. I don't recall Vettel complaining when he was winning 4 World Championships in a monstrously dominant car and things haven't really changed much since then in terms of artificiality.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Caporegime
I watched an interesting documentary series on Netflix called "Formula 1 Drive to Survive". Each week it looked at different drivers and teams and how they did in the 2018-2019 season. Having seen that series, I can't help but detest Christian Horner that little but more now. I think he likes the sound of his own voice and is quite the politician when questioned on anything which he seems to revel in. I see now with more behind the scenes footage and interviews/talks, that the treatment that Daniel Ricciardo got was pretty disgusting, prioritising Max throughout the season. It was always all about Max.

The fall out between Renault and Redbull was pretty cringe worthy and I felt Christian was totally unprofessional and disrespectful publicly to Renault head Cyril Abiteboul.

Renault need to fix things fast though. Daniel had no where else to go for a seat sadly. I hope Renault get back on track given they are also powering the Mclarens which seem to be showing signs of improvement in aero/chassis.

Lol, Ricciardo's treatment was 'disgusting', after one crash they didn't want him to publicly go out and bash Max, that's it. The same way Rosberg hit Hamilton twice, cheated multiple times and Hamilton was asked to not just attack him publicly every weekend because that is how all teams want drivers to behave. Other than that there was literally nothing else at all, he wasn't prioritised over Ricciardo at all.

There was literally no indication and nothing in that documentary that says they prioritised him all year, there were people saying MAYBE they will favour Max in the future, despite doing nothing to hamper Ricciardo in the slightest so far. The documentary was painfully biased throughout and was very obviously and purposefully for some drivers and against others. it was pro Ricciardo so portrayed Max and Red Bull poorly and Renault in the best possible light. LIkewise the documentary loved Ocon and portrayed him and anyone helping him positively and everyone who didn't help him as nasty. Perez is apparently a piece of crap driver who only has his seat because he paid for it. Ignoring the fact that Force India were going under, his move to push them into administration over 4 million in unpaid wages helped get the team out of Vijay's hands who was delaying a sale to try to make more money which led to the team being saved rather than running out of money.

Ricciardo left for the money at Renault and used his mate Will Buxton to help show a picture in a documentary that he didn't join an obviously much worse team and run away from a fight with Max which he was losing for the money... it's because the team absolutely screwed him by never moving him over to help out Max. Pretty much the whole documentary was a who does Will Buxton love and who does he hate show. He's literally been caught making stuff up that Max said before because he dislikes him.

Horner has always liked to get his digs in at other people, but to say it's unprofessional, he's on tv and the fans like to see some funny banter, it makes for decent tv and more interesting interviews and realistically if they were just boring in interviews it would be just that, boring. Cyril has attempted to make lots of comments about Cyril also but in general just isn't as good at is. Also Renault have been letting Red Bull, Lotus, TR and others down since 2014, they have failed time and time again to provide a competitive reliable engine. Renault have deserved a lot of criticism and with Red Bull being one of the three really big spending teams not having a competitive engine is a bad situation. If Renault actually fixed their engine and made it reliable and have similar performance there would be nothing for Horner to complain about.

Caporegime
Well from what I read its a bit vague, one cylinder was not firing correctly, its not so much of a case of he's blown a cylinder. But I gathered that they likely wont know the full ramifications until the strip it down back at the factory.
I dont know the ins and outs of F1 engine but possibly spark or injector fault which would mean the block might be saved?

Have they upped it to 4? I thought that it was still 3 ICE for the season without incurring penalties.
Ferrari have since confirmed it was an injector fault and the engine is actually fine to be reused.

Back
Top Bottom