Poll: Bahrain Grand Prix 2021, Sakhir - Race 1/23

Rate the 2021 Bahrain Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Yes, everyone talks up Rosberg, but he was racing at a time when the Mercedes was mostly untouchable. If he was in the second seat the last couple of years, Rosberg would have the same problems that Bottas is having. Some of the other teams have caught up to Mercedes and are able to put pressure on them now. If you're not a Hamilton and able to give the car that little bit more performance, you're in the mix with other drivers in a way that didn't happen a few years ago.

I don't think Bottas is terrible, but he's not being flattered by the car the way Rosberg was because other teams have now caught up. Unless you're a Verstappen in a resurgent RBR, you're not going to compete with Hamilton/Mercedes at the front.

The only direct comparison we can make is the years both race against Hamilton and Rosberg comes out of that looking a lot better than Bottas; 23 wins v 9 and high 30 pole positions v 16. I think one win and a couple poles was while he had Schumacher as a team mate but that still puts Rosberg significantly ahead of Bottas. I do accept that when Rosberg had a bad race he'd still come 2nd whereas, with the closer pack, Bottas is going to finish lower, and this certainly helped Rosberg's title fights against Hamilton. However, it doesn't matter at the front of the grid or the back, the main aim is to always beat your team mate which is something Rosberg did more consistently than Bottas.

That said, I don't think Bottas is as bad as people make him out to be as he's almost always bloody close to Hamilton. Sure he can't always beat Hamilton but neither could Button or Alonso either.

Man of Honour
Highlight of the race for me was Mazepin. On the onboard, he almost spins after putting the power down from turn 1 as you can see the car snaking, then bins it immediately after turn 2. You'd think he'd never been in the car before. A total clown act.

Caporegime
Highlight of the race for me was Mazepin. On the onboard, he almost spins after putting the power down from turn 1 as you can see the car snaking, then bins it immediately after turn 2. You'd think he'd never been in the car before. A total clown act.

No doubt that he's totally unimpressive, but given Mick had a spin as well I'm pretty sure that car is a complete potato that his making him look even worse than he actually is.

Caporegime

Most of the grid are. Are any of the new breed of kids from humble beginnings like Hamilton, Alonso, Raikonnen etc?

Let's face it Formula 1 drivers are not the best of the best. Some are but the vast majority are from super rich families. It is watered down from that really.

Caporegime
Most of the grid are. Are any of the new breed of kids from humble beginnings like Hamilton, Alonso, Raikonnen etc?

Ocon is. Albon also came from fairly humble beginnings.

Let's face it Formula 1 drivers are not the best of the best. Some are but the vast majority are from super rich families. It is watered down from that really.

Motor racing has always been a rich man's game. It's just too expensive to be anything else. Whilst Mazepin is a particularly egregious example, it's not like F1 doesn't have a long and sordid history of undertalented drivers with money on the grid. Of the grid there are only really two straight forward pay drivers - Mazepin and Latifi. Others like Pérez and Stroll have at least proven themselves capable of driving at a high level.

Caporegime
Ocon is. Albon also came from fairly humble beginnings.

Motor racing has always been a rich man's game. It's just too expensive to be anything else. Whilst Mazepin is a particularly egregious example, it's not like F1 doesn't have a long and sordid history of undertalented drivers with money on the grid. Of the grid there are only really two straight forward pay drivers - Mazepin and Latifi. Others like Pérez and Stroll have at least proven themselves capable of driving at a high level.

That's my point their level is competing against other rich people. Whereas a true equal level they wouldn't even get a look in.

Soldato
Presumably the only driver ever to have done that?
Definitely that particular stat, though technically there are some worse debuts, though none of them were solely their fault.

Perry McCarthy's (the original Stig) debut weekend lasted until the end of the pitlane in pre-qualifying.

Marco Apicella's entire grand prix racing career lasted a total of 800 metres. Apparently Massa and McNish had their debuts curtailed in turn one at Melbourne in 2002 too, though they just two of eight cars eliminated there.

I'm sure most will have heard of the legend that is Hans Heyer by now though. He failed to qualify, started the race anyway without the stewards realising (and you think they're bad now?!) and retired on lap 10 with gearbox failure upon which is was promptly disqualified and never tried again. So he DNQ, technically DNS, DNF and DSQ all at one event. At least Mazepin had a better debut than that!

Soldato
It's no more true than the idea they were paupers. Anthony was an IT manager on decent money, he founded a company and worked three jobs to pay for Lewis to race.

Nice semi detached house in a quite part of Stevenage, so not quite the “slum” Lewis had referred to it as. If he’d lived in Chells or parts of Broadwater, he could have used “sink estate” to describe the place and not been far off the mark.

There is no doubt that his dad worked his **** off to get Lewis into carting and keep him there.

Caporegime
Nice semi detached house in a quite part of Stevenage, so not quite the “slum” Lewis had referred to it as.

Indeed, although it's pretty clear from context that he didn't mean his "out of the slums" comment literally.

Compared to most F1 drivers, Lewis's background is very ordinary, but middle income against more normal comparators. People sure do love to exaggerate a "rags to riches" story.

Back
Top Bottom