Bakers refuse Gay wedding cake - update: Supreme Court rules in favour of Bakers

Just a thought, but what's to stop them buying a generic cake and putting the Queerspace logo on it themselves? I'm assuming that was the only decoration missing?

They could probably have asked for, and received, a rainbow cake with unicorns on it (cliches ahoy). It was just the name of that political group that was the problem?

It was the 'support gay marriage' slogan that was what the baker objected to being associated with. They could have bought any cake they wanted if it was apolitical.

I hate to break this to you but billions around the world still do.

True.

My comments are mostly speaking about the Western countries. There is still a lot of work to be done around the globe.

Yes, misogyny is absolutely 100% a thing of the past. For sure.

In most civilized countries it is.

Yes, there aren't any places, like say in America, where whites and blacks don't mix. No way! You only read about that in history books now.

Again, mostly western countries and ignoring the South of America which still thinks it's the 1800's.

Oh totally, watch this space ;)

You laugh, but history has shown that the younger generations are more accepting than the old.

Gays, they want to be equal but they want to try and constantly ram it down all the normal peoples throats.

When's the last time you saw a heterosexual rights parade walking down your street?

You can bet if it was a Muslim baker who'd refused nothing would have been said!

Good on them for refusing!

Gays, they want to be equal but they want to try and constantly ram it down all the normal peoples throats.

When's the last time you saw a heterosexual rights parade walking down your street?

You can bet if it was a Muslim baker who'd refused nothing would have been said!

Like with any demographic, there are people who take things to the extreme.

Not all football fans are hooligans who go around smashing stuff up and fighting with each other...

Your choice of words (along with the overall theme) implies a degree of bias.

By "ramming it down peoples throats" it brings the issues surrounding homosexuality into focus, there are no straight rights parades because every day is straight pride day, not that anyone is stopping it from happening.

Wow, you really think misogyny is dead? :confused: Surely trolling?

Lol @ 'civilized countries'. There's still a lot of work to be done dude.

I never implied that racism or misogyny where no longer an issue.

I was merely implying that compared to what they once were, we've made a step in the right direction and the same will happen with gay rights.

By "ramming it down peoples throats" it brings the issues surrounding homosexuality into focus, there are no straight rights parades because every day is straight pride day, not that anyone is stopping it from happening.

For a 100% certainty, you wouldn't have a "white pride" day, because that would be seen as racist. And probably correctly, since "white power" tends to be a phrase associated with white supremacist groups.

So in all likelihood, a "straight pride" rally would probably be seen as a slur on gays. But then in reality such an event would serve no useful purpose and no one would even be inclined to participate. Apart from oddballs ;)

Rallies and "pride" events are for all practical purposes only used by minorities.

How does the chant go? "We're here, we're queer, and you should all be very afraid due to our lobbying powers and appeals to the courts"? Haven't gays pretty much good it good now? They have a pretty equal footing right now, wouldn't you say?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but where is the current-day persecution of gays? Not having a gay promoting publicity cake seems a bit low on the persecution scale. Not talking about Russia, but here in the UK.

For a 100% certainty, you wouldn't have a "white pride" day, because that would be seen as racist. And probably correctly, since "white power" tends to be a phrase associated with white supremacist groups.

So in all likelihood, a "straight pride" rally would probably be seen as a slur on gays. But then in reality such an event would serve no useful purpose and no one would even be inclined to participate. Apart from oddballs ;)

Rallies and "pride" events are for all practical purposes only used by minorities.

How does the chant go? "We're here, we're queer, and you should all be very afraid due to our lobbying powers and appeals to the courts"? Haven't gays pretty much good it good now? They have a pretty equal footing right now, wouldn't you say?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but where is the current-day persecution of gays? Not having a gay promoting publicity cake seems a bit low on the persecution scale. Not talking about Russia, but here in the UK.

Fair point, but society is geared towards straight people, which is why there doesn't need to be straight pride.

As for persecution of gays, not on the scale of some other countries but it does happen http://www.pinknews.co.uk/topic/anti-gay-attack/

I can't remember the last time someone was killed for being straight.

Are you stupid or a troll? The reason why straight people don't parade for their rights is because they already have them. Gay people, on the other hand, do not. Your statements smack of complete and utter idiocy.

I'll see you at the next Neo-Nazi meeting eh.

Your choice of words (along with the overall theme) implies a degree of bias.

Or a degree of stupidity.

I dunno, I once got put in the hospital for kissing a guy in public....

Being openly gay in some parts of the country would still be an open invitation to trouble. I've yet to have a group of gay people verbally or physically abuse me for being straight - on that matter I can't think of a single occasion it's happened to anybody I've ever know either.

On the other hand pretty much every single gay person I know has at some point had trouble over their sexuality. To me that indicates that perhaps things are not as 'even' as some would think & while it's anecdotal evidence at best I've got little reason to believe I'm the exception.

It's always going to be that way, no matter how much improvement is made people will always single people out for being different and there comes a point where not much more can be done to stop it.

I'm not too sure, just in my lifetime social attitudes towards casual racism have changed significantly - it's just we have to wait for new generations to be born & older ones to die off for social change to occur.

Just it another 50 years & I'm fairly certain social attitudes towards both will have changed significantly.

The reason you don't have heterosexual rights groups is because they aren't and have never been persecuted.

Pretty much the same reason that white people weren't marching for civil rights in 1950 America. It's pretty hard to march for something you already have.

You come across as one of those people whose attitude is basically "I accept gay people exist I wish wish they didn't" kind of people.

Based on that, do you think a shopkeeper should be able to turn away anybody based off any criteria?.

Shop keepers already are allowed to deny service to any customer if they so wish. The ones that are clever about it (which isn't usually a trait of those who are highly bigoted) would be to avoid giving a discriminatory reason, and instead give a generic reason about they didn't like how you were acting or something similar.

As has been said, if a business wants to operate in this way and deny service (openly, or with an excuse) to people just because they're different to them, they won't last long.

Back
Top Bottom